Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best mobile broadband supplier... or another solution?

• 21-08-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all,

My situation - looking for some advice, please.

Moving house soon. It's a new build. Nobody except Eir has been confirmed as broadband supplier as yet, and I've heard too many horror stories to bring myself to sign up with them.

So, I'm looking into signing up for mobile broadband contract with Three until something better comes along down the line (ideally, someone supplying fibre). It's an 18-month contract, unlimited data, and is in a 4G-enabled area (north co. Dublin).

I work from home and broadband is crucial to me for work (browsing, emailing and some light streaming), so I need a good enough speed for that.

However, we're thinking about also forgoing traditional TV for the time being, and just relying on the likes of Netflix, 4OD, RTE player etc. I'm wondering whether it'd also be fast enough to stream the likes of Netflix from that mobile broadband router, or is it intended for lighter usage? Bit clueless about speeds and data in general.

One of the routers they offer is the Huawei B525 - which apparently offers download speeds of up to 300 Mbps and upload speeds of 50 Mbps.

Or are there any other obvious solutions for reliable broadband (taking Eir out of the equation) that I'm not thinking of? Any other companies, etc.?

I don't necessarily want to be tied into an 18-month contract if (by some miracle) someone else comes along offering fibre in 6 months, but I can't do without broadband until then.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

If you need broadband for work then fixed line is the only option in my opinion. I used Three mobile (in north co Dublin) until we got fibre, and it generally wasn't good enough for Netflix etc. There were often long stretches when it was completely unusable. Due to the nature of mobile networks (eg unpredictable load on the network) you will never get the same level of reliability as a fixed line imo. Though I was using pay as you go. Are you sure Eir is the only option, as there are other retailers who resell their service

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭OctoberMammy

plodder wrote: »
    If you need broadband for work then fixed line is the only option in my opinion. I used Three mobile (in north co Dublin) until we got fibre, and it generally wasn't good enough for Netflix etc. There were often long stretches when it was completely unusable. Due to the nature of mobile networks (eg unpredictable load on the network) you will never get the same level of reliability as a fixed line imo. Though I was using pay as you go. Are you sure Eir is the only option, as there are other retailers who resell their service

Thanks. That's what I'm afraid of :(

Been told that Eir is the only option initially, at least... that might change, but I need broadband as soon as we move in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can order from anyone, other than Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭glen123

Thanks. That's what I'm afraid of :(

Been told that Eir is the only option initially, at least... that might change, but I need broadband as soon as we move in.

Get yourself a Three sim card, top up by 20, create a hotspot and try and use that for your Netflix, etc, especially in the evenings. Take regular speed tests as well to get an idea of the speeds you can expect. They could be fine in the mornings or even during the day, yet in the evenings they could be poor.
    If you are happy with what you get, then you can think about signing up with them. Even though you can get the same modem on Amazon or Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ballycarton

Hi October Mammy,

I have just finished an 18 Month contract with 3 Mobile Broadband 750 GB a month.

It was very slow and as regards watching Netflix, You Tube, it took ages to download and would only run for about 10-15 mins before another long buffering. Some evenings speed was notoriously bad.

I am now with Eir Prepay Mobile Broadband 50GBS for only €30 per Month.

No Problems so far.

But would you consider Wireless Broadband like Imagine ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Hi Op, I’ve changed both mine and my parents broadband to 3 in the last year, lowest download speed I’ve experienced is 2mb, highest is about 30, this is especially good for my parents house as previously they were getting less than 1mb speeds with sky. (Bad service area in Kerry) Usually use the WiFi on a couple of phones and Netflix on 2 TVs at the same time without issue

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭OctoberMammy

Thanks all.

I'm thinking that I'll try the hotspot as a trial, at least initially. It would save me being tied into a contract. Not in the house yet, so I can't do any speed tests etc. until we move.

What's the story with Three potentially blocking your number if they find out you've been hotspotting? Someone told me that recently. Obviously they want people to sign up to a broadband deal instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭glen123

Thanks all.

I'm thinking that I'll try the hotspot as a trial, at least initially. It would save me being tied into a contract. Not in the house yet, so I can't do any speed tests etc. until we move.

What's the story with Three potentially blocking your number if they find out you've been hotspotting? Someone told me that recently. Obviously they want people to sign up to a broadband deal instead.
    I know people using hotspots on payg for years and no issues. Even i do it sometimes when away from home.

Advertisement