Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair 1 - 0 Forsa

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Delighted but knowing what Unions are like this will probably work out worse in the end for the public over the coming months ahead.

No talking to the beards

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Great to see a win for the people over the bully boy unions, the most stagnant and irrelevant force in our society these days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Great to see a win for the people over the bully boy unions, the most stagnant and irrelevant force in our society these days

There was a time when unions were important and fought for what was fair, now they just seem to be run by self important “gougers” out for what they can get regardless of the damage that costs.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

There was a time when unions were important and fought for what was fair, now they just seem to be run by self important “gougers” out for what they can get regardless of the damage that costs.

I'm convinced there are some Union reps that post in CA/IMHO

Their relevance and help were superceeded by employment acts and health&safety laws, then they became gangsters holding staff and companies to ransom and bullying non members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

Can I join in with this capitalist "win for the people" circlejerk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Of course unions are needed these days, where they aren’t, low paid work, and not where they are - relatively well paid work or the public service.

Of course unions are needed these days, where they aren’t, low paid work, and not where they are - relatively well paid work or the public service.

O oh,

That should open the floodgates

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

But unions don’t seem to really care about people like that. Same way they always side with the “old guard” over new joiners on lower wages.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

circadian wrote: »
    Can I join in with this capitalist "win for the people" circlejerk?

Only if you can first pass the mandatory IQ test.

Ceist a haon: are water charges a good idea? (feel free to call a friend).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

But unions don’t seem to really care about people like that. Same way they always side with the “old guard” over new joiners on lower wages.

Unions are a product of how is in them and who runs them. The more people roll their eyes and say meh, the less that will be done for younger people or the new joiners and the more that the old guard will keep power for themselves. Unions are meant to be about protecting those that need the support the most not those that are there the longest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

Portsalon wrote: »
    Only if you can first pass the mandatory IQ test.

Ceist a haon: are water charges a good idea? (feel free to call a friend).

Dead on hi.

circadian wrote: »
    Dead on hi.

Good lad. You managed 50% in that question.

Ceist a dó: Finish this sentence: Michael O'Leary is a ...........

Ceist a dó: Finish this sentence: Michael O'Leary is a ...........

Ledge in his own lunchbox.

Mandate are in almost every shelf stacking job in the country. Theres no union for accountants, IT workers, executives, plumbers etc... and they don’t seem to be getting shafted wholesale like you think happens.

Mandate are in almost every shelf stacking job in the country. Theres no union for accountants, IT workers, executives, plumbers etc... and they don’t seem to be getting shafted wholesale like you think happens.

Although Forsa is the union of choice for professionals (accountants, engineers, IT, etc. etc.) who choose to work in the State Sector.

Looks as though the guinea pig who tends to Forsa's website has fallen asleep at the wheel.

https://www.forsa.ie/ryanair-pilots-to-strike-for-48-hours-on-22nd-and-23rd-august/

Although Forsa is the union of choice for professionals (accountants, engineers, IT, etc. etc.) who choose to work in the State Sector.

Looks as though the guinea pig who tends to Forsa's website has fallen asleep at the wheel.

https://www.forsa.ie/ryanair-pilots-to-strike-for-48-hours-on-22nd-and-23rd-august/

The only IT engineer who’d join a union is a useless one on the verge of being sacked, membership would be worse than a forehead tattoo for unemployability.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The only IT engineer who’d join a union is a useless one on the verge of being sacked, membership would be worse than a forehead tattoo for unemployability.

incorrect.
    some people are very good at their jobs and others not. being in a union has no relevance to that reality. plenty of good workers in unions and plenty of incompetent ones not. the opposite is also the case.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

So anyway...

What does this mean for joe soap who is flying Ryanair in the coming weeks/months? Does this ruling blow the socks off the whole charade for the pilots or does it just kick the can down the road, so expect strikes in September and October instead?

(presumably if they're gonna bother doing it again, they'll wait til the christmas/new year period to try to use that for leverage?)

So anyway...

What does this mean for joe soap who is flying Ryanair in the coming weeks/months? Does this ruling blow the socks off the whole charade for the pilots or does it just kick the can down the road, so expect strikes in September and October instead?

(presumably if they're gonna bother doing it again, they'll wait til the christmas/new year period to try to use that for leverage?)

from what i understand it just prevents a strike going ahead on the basis of this particular ballot.
    so they will likely reballot down the line.

• Advertisement

ryanair have lost their case in the uk against the pilots there. according to lbc radio.

from what i understand it just prevents a strike going ahead on the basis of this particular ballot.
    so they will likely reballot down the line.

If they lose the main hearing, then my understanding is that they'd first have to go through whatever negotiation process they and Ryr agreed to less than 12 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

IT workers would be far better off if there were a general union for them. Something like an actors guild.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

They have the public service ruined. It's so hard to get any real reform done because of people running to the union reps everytime a work practice or process is changed. The HSE is a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

If any Ryanair staff don't like the pay in their company, why don't they just leave and find a job somewhere else ? Am I missing something here ?
    I have left many jobs in my life for various reasons. Such people need to take control of their own careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Beaten docket Emmet, ever since they were infiltrated by the Trots.

Scoondal wrote: »
    If any Ryanair staff don't like the pay in their company, why don't they just leave and find a job somewhere else ? Am I missing something here ?

there are plenty of possible reasons. no openings elsewhere, other companies may have aspects themselves that may make a move not as viable for some individuals, etc.
    I have left many jobs in my life for various reasons. Such people need to take control of their own careers.

that's exactly what they are doing. taking control of their careers by joining the union and striving to improve the conditions at ryan air, and tbh ryan air will be all the better for having better conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

there are plenty of possible reasons. no openings elsewhere, other companies may have aspects themselves that may make a move not as viable for some individuals, etc.

that's exactly what they are doing. taking control of their careers by joining the union and striving to improve the conditions at ryan air, and tbh ryan air will be all the better for having better conditions.

I've done the whole union thing in my working life. It's not worth all the hassle. I found a job that I actually liked doing after leaving unionised companies where we were constantly battling with management that left a horrible working environment.
    It is only a small percentage of Ryanair staff that are even unionised. The Ryanair UK pilots' strike had no effect on Ryanair operations.

I've done the whole union thing in my working life. It's not worth all the hassle. I found a job that I actually liked doing after leaving unionised companies where we were constantly battling with management that left a horrible working environment.
    It is only a small percentage of Ryanair staff that are even unionised. The Ryanair UK pilots' strike had no effect on Ryanair operations.

the uk pilots strike won't need to have had a specific effect or effects on ryan air operations.
    all it needs to do is to show that workers have finally had enough and are now going to strive to improve conditions, and show that even a company like ryan air aren't immune from modernisation in terms of terms and conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

the uk pilots strike won't need to have had a specific effect or effects on ryan air operations.
    all it needs to do is to show that workers have finally had enough and are now going to strive to improve conditions, and show that even a company like ryan air aren't immune from modernisation in terms of terms and conditions.
    You support every strike don’t you? Has there ever been a strike you thought wasn’t justified?
    You support pilots on 175k striking for an unspecified amount!

Advertisement