Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi drove through red light today - Renmore

Options
2»

Comments

it’s an absolute pain in the hole driving in places that are monitoring your every move, so much more relaxed driving here so I would in no way be calling for all these cameras.

Pain in the hole that people are so stupid that they run red lights and need to be monitored at their ripe old ages.
    This post is about a 15 year old boy who is smart enough to use the lights as intended and was nearly knocked over by an idiot taxi driver who ran a red light.

I’d prefer a bit of leeway at the lights than fining all round you to be honest.

I’m strongly against any of this camera nonsense incl “go safe” money grabbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I’d prefer a bit of leeway at the lights than fining all round you to be honest.

You have leeway - it's called an amber light that means prepare to stop not accelerate. No excuse at all for breaking red lights
    In fact that mentality says it all, ahhh shure its only a red light

fritzelly wrote: »
    You have leeway - it's called an amber light that means prepare to stop not accelerate

Amber is boot to the floor for me I’m afraid.

Go on your merry way is right and the only advise you could be given.
    Let's see if you have the same attitude after you hit someone or one of yours is hit by someone with the same attitude as yourself

• Advertisement

They have that junction dug up this weekend, looks like traffic islands going in on the approaches. Don’t know what difference that’ll make, but here’s hoping...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They have that junction dug up this weekend, looks like traffic islands going in on the approaches. Don’t know what difference that’ll make, but here’s hoping...
    Are you sure it's not just resurfacing like the stretch nearer Moneenageisha?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

Aye it’s just been resurfaced only, it’s finished now bar a few cones left out to define the lanes until it’s line marked

Amber is boot to the floor for me I’m afraid.

You’re the one whose driving needs to get very, very, *very*, expensive so. Pints & foreign holidays are for people who give way, not those who take it.

But I’m not one to talk, I’ve done it myself. It’s a judgement call between stopping safely and clearing the junction, with an unconscious bias towards clearing the junction due to the benefit of missing a junction cycle. Eyes on a swivel, know what’s going on all around. If there’s an area you don’t know, slow it down & find out with a glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

ballinadog wrote: »
    Aye it’s just been resurfaced only, it’s finished now bar a few cones left out to define the lanes until it’s line marked
    It's most smooth, very suitable for rollerblading. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

fritzelly wrote: »
    You have leeway - it's called an amber light that means prepare to stop not accelerate. No excuse at all for breaking red lights
    In fact that mentality says it all, ahhh shure its only a red light

Amber means stop unless it's unsafe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Like others have said it all comes down to lack of enforcement.

There have to be cameras out there capable of telling when people run red lights, and especially able to detect when someone accelerates hard when a green light turns amber.

grbear wrote: »
    Like others have said it all comes down to lack of enforcement.

There have to be cameras out there capable of telling when people run red lights, and especially able to detect when someone accelerates hard when a green light turns amber.

Why? If you make it through on amber you have broken no rule.

It’s drives me insane when someone slows down in front of me for Amber when they and me could both get through. Just causes more traffic build up and slows down journeys. I’ve often switched lane to get around someone slowing for amber.

There is a 3 second delay between red and green anyway so I don’t see the issue in a car squeezing through as the lights change. Different story people going through when it is 100% red.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

"An amber light means that you must not go beyond the stop line or, if there
    is no stop line, you must not go beyond the light. However, you may go on if
    you are so close to the line or the light when the amber light first appears that
    stopping would be dangerous."

That's a direct quote from the Rules of the Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

There is a 3 second delay between red and green anyway so I don’t see the issue in a car squeezing through as the lights change. Different story people going through when it is 100% red.

Because often around the corner from that light that's turning red is a pedestrian crossing that could be green by the time you reach it. There's many junctions around the city that are linked like this and honestly I'm surprised more accidents don't happen because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    Because often around the corner from that light that's turning red is a pedestrian crossing that could be green by the time you reach it. There's many junctions around the city that are linked like this and honestly I'm surprised more accidents don't happen because of it.
    Ya the junctions are timed more than people realise and all this red light jumping (including the people that speed up for ambers) is increasing congestion as it messes up the flow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Why? If you make it through on amber you have broken no rule.

It’s drives me insane when someone slows down in front of me for Amber when they and me could both get through. Just causes more traffic build up and slows down journeys. I’ve often switched lane to get around someone slowing for amber.

You are the very definition of why cameras are needed.

BeardySi wrote: »
    Garda will do nothing even if they see it....

Absolutely. Seen it with my own eyes today. Crossing at the lights after londis. Red light. Car goes through after been stopped in traffic. Gaurd behind him. Pretending he didn't see. I was shocked. I suppose it's a case of avoiding work.
    Galway needs cameras on lights.

Advertisement