Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Went into a bookies today

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Don't feel sorry for gamblers but i do worry that many have partners and children gambling their money that would clothe and feed them.

I know the government gets a lot of money from bookmakers so i doubt anything will be done, but i rank it right up there with class A drug addiction when it gets to problem gambling purely on on devastation it causes to people close to gamblers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Gambling addicts are not something I get the violin out for. It's the people around them that suffer. It's a lazy addiction. People trying to chase money without earning it. Addicts usually talk about the rush of having a bet on. Why don't they just take up downhill mountain biking or something? Get your thrills with something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gambling addicts are not something I get the violin out for. It's the people around them that suffer. It's a lazy addiction. People trying to chase money without earning it. Addicts usually talk about the rush of having a bet on. Why don't they just take up downhill mountain biking or something? Get your thrills with something else.

That takes effort and actually getting up and going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

mdwexford wrote: »
    Bookies is pretty grim on the whole, gamble at home.

Win win.

Not always. Today for York I bet a few quid on the exchanges and lost lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Don't mess with the atmosphere in the bookies. You could get more than you bargained for.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OP I'm with you - been in a few times and it's a very sad affair. The good 'old people that don't drink or smoke and just put a few quid on now and then' are fine, but that's not everyone. Let's not pretend these places are not packed full of proper gambling addicts who waste much of their money on a terrible habit/addiction. A mate told me some places give them tea and sandwiches to give them some sustenance as some spend all their money and none left for food. That's horrific. They should definitely ban advertising like cigarettes etc. I've seen a couple of people addicted to gambling and neglecting their families it's awful - the state should be taking measures to prevent it not entourage it. Nothing wrong with your average punter throwing a few quid on match etc but the people who take it too far should be helped. Gamble Aware stickers are not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

There's a lot of talk about rural isolation and the poor oul fellas stuck up on the side of the mountain but there is as much urban isolation. Old people stuck in the house, men after retiring with no interests and beng a burden on the wife.
    I think the local bookies actually provide a service in this regard.
    In my local shop a lot of older men come in and spend a few hours in the afternoon. They have access to the daily papers, free tea and coffee, toilet facility and chatting away with the rest of the lads. None are (or could afford to be) big punters. They do yankees, accums etc. If they have a few winners well and good, occasionally might even have a good win. If they lose its no big loss. Then they toddle away home for the evening.

However I see a number of the young lads in the GAA club with the online account. You cant watch a match in the club without seeing them punting away on next scorer, half time score or whatever option there. That is where the big problem will be. If you doubt it read Tony 10 by Declan Lynch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    The worst thing about watching football matches these days is seeing that fat headed wanker Ray Winstone urging desperate people to throw their money down the toilet with his mockney 'oo 'aw ya banter bollocks.

Gambling commercials should have gone the way of booze and fag ads a long time ago.

Best gambling advert ever

Yes. Paul Kaye will do anything for money :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

In SoCoDo we call them Turf Accountants, thank you very much

For a small fee, they will also provide you with a true and fair assessment of how many sods you have in your shed for the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

mdwexford wrote: »
    Bookies is pretty grim on the whole, gamble at home.

Slap the wives arse and say 'your sister's is nicer'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

BDI wrote: »
    My work friend didn’t seem to see the same sight I seen in there.

Poetry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bookies just suck the life out of any town like parasites.
    Would never bother going into one ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Seems back to school shopping has started OP got brought out into real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

BDI wrote: »
    I entered a bookies in a very upmarket part of Dublin with a work colleague today. My god how sad it was. There was a few machines in the corner, a foreign looking lad and an Irish/Western European looking lad. The Irish looking lad was scratching his forehead when he got up there was a chunk of skin missing where he had scratched off. No messing. Neither looked like they were having any fun but their money was as good as anyone’s.
    There were another few loser looking men about the place. Sleazy looking wasters. There was also one or two people with building site clothes on, maybe on lunch. I left and waited outside.

I’m fairly getting on now but it seems all the young lads in work think this is the coolest pastime going. My work friend didn’t seem to see the same sight I seen in there.

I work with lads on big money who never have a washer who bet as a past time.
    They bum smokes all the time off the other smokers. They look older than the drinkers.

Why is it so fashionable what can be done?

Well I'd start by saying that Jonny Flakes should be recommended some E45 cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Always the same **** from them and i know a few never lost a bet always got my money back. Some people think its a hobby or innocent pass time. Gambling addiction is just like drug or alcohol it can literally ruin peoples lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Always the same **** from them and i know a few never lost a bet always got my money back. Some people think its a hobby or innocent pass time. Gambling addiction is just like drug or alcohol it can literally ruin peoples lives.

Most people who drink or bet or take Nurofen do not end up as extras in Midnight Express.

It would however be interesting to see if bookie's margins have improved in recent years with the proliferation of mug betting on everything from virtual horses, dogs, roulette to absolutely mug odds on televised soccer.

I suspect PP is hauling in far more than when it was mainly horses and match betting on sports. Some shops don't even bother putting up the Racing Post form pages or dog cards any more.

They have cleverly tapped into the Sky EPL/Love Island/telly bingo demographic of gormless fools.

Advertisement