Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

308 win Super Hammerhead

• 21-08-2019 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Has anyone here any experience of using these 150 gn rounds on deer? They group great in my rifle but never shot deer with em. They seem to be a tough bullet and may not expand well. I was using superformance 150 gn sst but they dont group as well as the sako.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I've no experience with that actual bullet configuration but have always used soft points in .243, .270 and 30-06. Federal, Winchester, Remington was usually my choice of pill.
    Deer are not tough skinned or heavy boned animals so if the Hammerheads are indeed as advertised-

Heavy jacketed, strong and non-fragmenting, ensuring controlled expansion. Bonded core construction produces high weight retention, producing good penetration. .....followed by actual extensive big game hunting tests.

...they may indeed be too tough for our deer and possibly pass through with out the required damage.

Dead is dead, but dead on the spot (give or take a few paces) is even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

270WIN wrote: »
    Has anyone here any experience of using these 150 gn rounds on deer? They group great in my rifle but never shot deer with em. They seem to be a tough bullet and may not expand well. I was using superformance 150 gn sst but they dont group as well as the sako.

I use them by far the best bullet I have tried. I find they use every bit of energy. Most deer I shot I have pulled the bullet out from under the skin on the opposite side of the animal when skinning. Never had a runner with them. They drop on the spot. Used few other brands and was never happy. Only problem I have with them bullets is they are very hard found. If you could let me know where you got them I would be greatly appreciative 🙂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

I use them by far the best bullet I have tried. I find they use every bit of energy. Most deer I shot I have pulled the bullet out from under the skin on the opposite side of the animal when skinning. Never had a runner with them. They drop on the spot. Used few other brands and was never happy. Only problem I have with them bullets is they are very hard found. If you could let me know where you got them I would be greatly appreciative ��
    Thats what i like to hear! Do you go for the heart/lung or through the shoulder? I will send u a pm as to where i get them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

270WIN wrote: »
    Thats what i like to hear! Do you go for the heart/lung or through the shoulder? I will send u a pm as to where i get them

Heart and lung normally if I can't take a neck shot. The ribcage seems to be enough to get them to use all their energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Does anyone find that the hornady superformance are very inconsistent? Great groups one day and another day they are all over the shop. I tried them in 270, 308 and 243 and all similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

I have found the Sako Hammerhead 156gn in .270 to be a great round. Very consistent. I got them in Irish Shooting Sports. I would presume the 150gn in .308 would be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭kunekunesika

smallfry wrote: »
    I have found the Sako Hammerhead 156gn in .270 to be a great round. Very consistent. I got them in Irish Shooting Sports. I would presume the 150gn in .308 would be similar.
    What species of deer are you using them on? And your typical range? Thanks, have been considering them for a while. Using sst 130 grain at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Red and Fallow, I would say whatever range you normally feel comfortable taking a shot these rounds should be up to the job. There wasn't too much adjustment of zero from the 130gn I had been using. (at least in my rifle) If you keep track of the changes you make it should be easy to re-zero back again if you weren't happy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭kunekunesika

smallfry wrote: »
    Red and Fallow, I would say whatever range you normally feel comfortable taking a shot these rounds should be up to the job. There wasn't too much adjustment of zero from the 130gn I had been using. (at least in my rifle) If you keep track of the changes you make it should be easy to re-zero back again if you weren't happy with them.
    Thanks for that. On sika myself with 270 using sst. They all hit the ground, but my groups when checking zero aren't consistent. Haven't missed a deer, but would like consistent paper too. My try a box of sako, should shoot fine in my sako.

Advertisement