Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EV Charger

Options
  • 21-08-2019 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Question in relation to a 7.4kw 32A car Charger.
    Should my ESB mains cable suffice to charge an EV and the rest of the household needs. It looks like it’s a 10square from the ESB. The house is 40 odd years old. Would the ESB cable need to be upgraded and if so how much would that cost? It’s a house in an estate and about 15 mts to the mini pillar.
    Also what is the view for charging 2 EV’s simultaneously down the line in 5 years time when families start having 2 EV cars, what will the requirements be for that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Turnrew

Hard to say without looking

I don't work on them but it might be okay if its on nightsaver

I think what will prob happen with 2 EV's is they'll get 4 hours each

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Should my ESB mains cable suffice to charge an EV and the rest of the household needs. It looks like it’s a 10square from the ESB. The house is 40 odd years old. Would the ESB cable need to be upgraded and if so how much would that cost? It’s a house in an estate and about 15 mts to the mini pillar.
    Also what is the view for charging 2 EV’s simultaneously down the line in 5 years time when families start having 2 EV cars, what will the requirements be for that?

The tails are definitely too small if they are 10sq. What other loads are in the house? Do they need to charge the car at full rate? would a 16A charge point not do?

With two cars you could look at setting the charge timers on each to reduce the load, but depending on the EV you might not get the full charge on night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

As above, it is a DSO requirement - and also a requirement of the National Wiring Rules - that the tails are a minimum of 16mm^2. Certainly loads must not be added without replacing the meter tails if indeed they are undersized.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

Hi there, sorry to dig up old thread but I am facing the same issue.

How did you get on in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭JL spark

tart29016 wrote: »
    Hi there, sorry to dig up old thread but I am facing the same issue.

How did you get on in the end?

From my point of view, I’m a RECI , the earthing and bonding would have to be up to standard, your tails will need upgrade too , along with the consumer unit , to fit a RCBO for EV charger , ,
    A lot of the time people don’t see the reasoning in this work , that’s the way I would do it , if not I just walk away , even if it means I’m loosing out to someone that will cut corners,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

JL spark wrote: »
    From my point of view, I’m a RECI , the earthing and bonding would have to be up to standard, your tails will need upgrade too , along with the consumer unit , to fit a RCBO for EV charger , ,
    A lot of the time people don’t see the reasoning in this work , that’s the way I would do it , if not I just walk away , even if it means I’m loosing out to someone that will cut corners,

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

Going to send you a PM.

Advertisement