Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for a dryer or dehumidifier...

Options
  • 21-08-2019 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Hi folks..
    We moved into a place in March, first floor appt. Came with a washer-dryer. The standard. We have no outside space. So I hang the clothes on a horse and could take 3 days to dry. Tend to leave it in the playroom and have the windows open to air, but it's getting chilly! Plus we have a toddler, then come sheet changes/towel washes...it pies up no end!! Is it out of the question to ask the agency for a dehumidifier? I can't see us getting a dryer, plus they will be hard on bills and the flipping place uses storage heaters. Disaster. Could buy myself but wondering if I've a legit reason to ask agency? Afaik they have covered themselves by having a washer dryer.
    TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why can’t you use the washer dryer to dry? It is a function on it, is it broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

pwurple wrote: »
    Why can’t you use the washer dryer to dry? It is a function on it, is it broken?
    Nope. I can wash a 5kg load but then to dry a 3kg load takes 90mins plus, that's just clothes. Towels could be in there double that time. Just doesn't seem very efficient or economical?

Machine would be on constant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Nope. I can wash a 5kg load but then to dry a 3kg load takes 90mins plus, that's just clothes. Towels could be in there double that time. Just doesn't seem very efficient or economical?

Machine would be on constant

Yeah the machine would be on constant but drying clothes indoors unless the room is kept heated and really well ventilated is a one way ticket to mold, asthma and breathing issues .

I have seen this countless times , your health is not worth drying clothes indoors over. Get a dehumidier yourself and bring it with you to your next place

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No balcony on the apartment?

I think the landlord has fulfilled his duties by providing the washer/dryer.

But, there’s no harm asking. Worse they can say is no.

kceire wrote: »

Thanks. Yup, I know the have themselves covered and I should be thankful and I do appreciate what we have. It's just becoming such a full time job managing washing etc! Between storage heating and no balcony/outside space it's a chore, have clothes hanging off doors and stuff when no room on horse 😳 just wondered if it was worth a shot asking.

• Advertisement

Yeah the machine would be on constant but drying clothes indoors unless the room is kept heated and really well ventilated is a one way ticket to mold, asthma and breathing issues .

I have seen this countless times , your health is not worth drying clothes indoors over. Get a dehumidier yourself and bring it with you to your next place

I was advised to get a dehumidifier, over a tumble dryer...so sussing out the difference (apart from the obvious!). Place isn't damp at all and hasn't flared up asthmatic husband, but I'm concerned that I have to leave the windows open and it gets fierce chilly, too chilly for a baby. Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

The landlord doesn’t have to provide this and should not provide it based on why you need it. The ll has fulfilled their obligations.

You need to decide what’s more important.

1) the economics of using a dryer
    2) the health wellbeing of your family especially the baby.

Fol20 wrote: »
    The landlord doesn’t have to provide this and should not provide it based on why you need it. The ll has fulfilled their obligations.

You need to decide what’s more important.

1) the economics of using a dryer
    2) the health wellbeing of your family especially the baby.

Yup, thanks, I know the landlord has fulfilled their obligations. Have not lived in the West of Ireland for years and haven't had an issue like this so really was just wondering if it was reasonable or outlandish. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I would approach the landlord and see what you can work out. A 5kg/3kg combo is a tiny load limit. Modern washing machines are typically 8kg-10kg for washes. Separate dryers are similar.

If there's space I would go for a separate washer and dryer. I see people advocating for dehumidifiers regularly but from what I can work out they're not much more efficient cost wise then a decent modern dryer and you still have the hassle and space impact of hanging your clothes. Modern A rated dryers are nowhere near as costly as older models, 40c a load or less on most plans. If you can only fit one machine look for a high rated washer dryer with big capacity.

Talk to the landlord and see what you can work out be it them paying for everything, him paying a set sum and you contributing the difference, you buying yourselves and taking it with you when you go. . . or something in between.

A good washing and drying set up is invaluable when you've young kids.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Considering the amount of washing and drying going on indoors, I would want a dehumidifier too.
    Drying clothes inside the dwelling is the number 1 cause of dampness, mold and subsequent health issues.

As a tenant I'd want it to protect myself and others from the possible ill effects.
    As a Landlord I'd want one to protect the building itself.

I would talk to the landlord, maybe they will provide one on a shared cost or provide one that you pay back over the course of the year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Get yourself a dri buddy. A dehumidifier would be expensive to run, and on top of storage heating in a few weeks you might regret it.

Or ask the LL to replace with a better machine (check out the likes of power city to get an idea of price), if the LL says no to replacing with a better machine, ask them to remove what you have so you can provide your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

kceire wrote: »

The House Rules prohibit the drying of clothes on the balconies or inside the apartment where they are visible from outside. Thats the rule in any apartment complex I am familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I bought a dehumidifier for my apartment (owned) a few months ago as we were drying clothes inside (dryer broke, waiting for new one to be delivered)
    Only cost €100 and made an instant impact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

JustMe,K wrote: »
    Get yourself a dri buddy.

Maybe I'm missing something but can't see that the dri buddy collects water in any way so you still have the problem of adding moisture to the air in the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but can't see that the dri buddy collects water in any way so you still have the problem of adding moisture to the air in the apartment.

It doesnt - but if its being used in a ventilated room with windows open (as the OP is now anyway), the stuff is drying much quicker and the windows dont need to be open for days on end. Worked for us when we lived in an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JustMe,K wrote: »
    Get yourself a dri buddy. A dehumidifier would be expensive to run, and on top of storage heating in a few weeks you might regret it.

Don't get a Dri Buddy. I had one and it could not dry a washer load, the clothes hang too close. I used to use my spare room with the heating on full blast all night and window open to remove the moisture. Ended up getting a condenser dryer and never looked back, it's a good source of heat in winter.

OP if you have storage heaters you should be doing your washing and drying between midnight and 9am during summer time and 11pm and 8am during winter time, electricity is half price and you are paying a premium for the night rate meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

We had some mould issue in our bedroom. Gable end apt and asked the landlord for a dehumidifier during the winter months. She called with it the next day.
    Some landlords are pretty decent. All you can do is just ask and worse case scenario they say No.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Washer dryers are shi1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Washer dryers are shi1te

Depends on the machine. Mine works if I need it, has an 8kg limit.

OP, there are also drying racks you can attach to hang out a window to air dry clothes, really depends on whether you have a back window on the apartment where this would be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

OP, there are also drying racks you can attach to hang out a window to air dry clothes, really depends on whether you have a back window on the apartment where this would be allowed.
    Mine's an 8kg limit for washing but 5kg for drying. It was sh1te so much so we eended up buying a separate dryer

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't get a Dri Buddy. I had one and it could not dry a washer load, the clothes hang too close. I used to use my spare room with the heating on full blast all night and window open to remove the moisture. Ended up getting a condenser dryer and never looked back, it's a good source of heat in winter.

OP if you have storage heaters you should be doing your washing and drying between midnight and 9am during summer time and 11pm and 8am during winter time, electricity is half price and you are paying a premium for the night rate meter.

I do. Makes a difference for sure

Our washer dryer isn't great. Would be on hours and hours. Nope can't hang stuff outside

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If I was a landlord, I'd love to have my tenants using a dehumidifier - they make a massive difference in terms of reducing moisture in the air and reducing the likelihood of mold.

The fact they haven't supplied one suggests they don't understand the benefits. I suggest printing off a few articles explaining why dehumidifiers are good at reducing mold, and give them to the landlord, then ask for one. Something like the Ecoair DD122 is perfect for an apartment and not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

humidifier in lidl today

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Got an Essentials one from Currys. Great and no huge impact on the bill that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a really good dehumidifier and an externally venting dryer. The drier saves time and effort hands down. 50 min on low and it's done, and no time spent hanging and unhanging clothes.

I have also used the dehumidifier - hang the clothes on a drying rack in a small room with closed windows and a closed door. It works very well, but it takes many hours and is a lot more messing about and time and space consuming. Supposedly the energy cost using a dehumidifier is a fraction of that using a drier, so in the long run it would be cheaper and more efficient, but my time is worth more to me than the supposed savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Or the revolution washing machines popping up around the place 18kg washing limit 8e for washing different temp choices and extra 2 euro for conditioner

2 euro 15 minute dry though 30 min (4e) better for 18kg wash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Just to illustrate the cost comparison:

This is the cheapest A rated tumble dryer in Curry’s @ €330

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/laundry/tumble-dryers/logik-f-series-lhp8w18-8-kg-heat-pump-tumble-dryer-white-10174302-pdt.html

It’ll dry 8kg of laundry with 1.88kWh

Electric Ireland charge:
    17.39c per KWh
    Or if you have night saver
    18.55c day time, 9.16c night time

Per load that’s 17.2c (night time drying) - 34.9c (day time at top rate).

Humidifiers don’t always list energy usage but the smallish sized ones seem to use about 200W per hour some clock in much higher at 600W+

This one is specifically advertised as low energy, it’s €200 and uses 165W per hour

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/home-appliances/heating-and-cooling/air-treatment/dehumidifiers/meaco-12l-low-energy-dehumidifier-10170823-pdt.html

Don’t know how long it would take to dry a load, but best case scenario say 6 hours at the cheapest night rate will cost 9c. No timer and 11hrs - it’ll cost the same as the tumble dryer.

The dehumidifier is a bit cheaper, but per load of laundry you’re maybe gonna save 25c, probably more like 15c. You’ll have to take the time to hang the laundry and also look at it in your living space for that.

Even a daily run of the tumble dryer during the day will only add €127 to your yearly electricity bill vs no equipment at all. A tumble dryer just needs a plug, no plumbing and it takes less space then a full load of laundry on an airer.

To me, unless you’ve zero space or a very tight budget, the tumble dryer is a no brainer. Even with no landlord contribution, it won’t be that awkward to unplug it and bring it with you if you move.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Definitely get something if you're going to be drying clothes inside, unless you've a very draughty house sooner or later mould spots will start to appear, especially around doors and windows.

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    Or the revolution washing machines popping up around the place 18kg washing limit 8e for washing different temp choices and extra 2 euro for conditioner

2 euro 15 minute dry though 30 min (4e) better for 18kg wash

Thanks, but no car to get to nearest one 😪

Advertisement