Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for a dryer or dehumidifier...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hmmm wrote: »
    If I was a landlord, I'd love to have my tenants using a dehumidifier - they make a massive difference in terms of reducing moisture in the air and reducing the likelihood of mold.

The fact they haven't supplied one suggests they don't understand the benefits. I suggest printing off a few articles explaining why dehumidifiers are good at reducing mold, and give them to the landlord, then ask for one. Something like the Ecoair DD122 is perfect for an apartment and not too expensive.

The landlord has supplied what's required to dry clothes. If the OP chooses not to use it then they will be responsible for the moisture and should deal with it themselves or loose their deposit if they get mildew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Del2005 wrote: »
    The landlord has supplied what's required to dry clothes. If the OP chooses not to use it then they will be responsible for the moisture and should deal with it themselves or loose their deposit if they get mildew.

Absolutely and we take responsibility for it. Been incredibly lucky there's no signs of damp at all since March, time will tell but we do our best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

There was a washer-drier supplied with my apartment when I bought it years ago, but I had always heard that the drying function in them was shyte so I invested in a condenser tumble drier, which I had to put in another corner of my kitchen/living area. A full load takes just under two hours to dry, and as I have always been in the habit of opening windows daily to air the place out and remove any moisture/heat build up from the drier, I have zero damp or mould issues.

I will say though that my drier is fairly noisy. I can watch tv or whatever when the washing machine is on as it's really only noisy during a spin cycle, but the drier is noisy throughout it's whole cycle. It's best to leave putting it on when you're leaving the apartment for a couple of hours or going to bed at night (you'll still hear the hum). I also don't dry everything in it, and still have a clothes-horse in my living area in front of a heater.

Of course, you're not supposed to have them running when you're not there, but when the machine is in your only living space and not a separate utility room, sometimes there's no choice noise-wise.

TLDR: buy a condenser drier on sale if you can, and take it with you when you move out.

Absolutely and we take responsibility for it. Been incredibly lucky there's no signs of damp at all since March, time will tell but we do our best.

It's been warm and I assume that you are opening the windows. Once winter hits you could start seeing issues if you don't get a dehumidifier or stand alone condenser dryer.

Personally I wouldn't run a tumble dryer when the home is empty. With night rate just run it after you go to bed, the only thing I can hear from mine is the anti static balls for the 1st fee minutes when they are cold and hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think I have misunderstood how the combi washer dryer works - Am I right in thinking it doesn't condense and doesn't vent the humid air to outside the building?

If so, then a dehumidifier is the way to go.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think I have misunderstood how the combi washer dryer works - Am I right in thinking it doesn't condense and doesn't vent the humid air to outside the building?

If so, then a dehumidifier is the way to go.

A combi dryer will drain out the same pipe as the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I supplied a dehumidifier when I was renting my unfurnished house out. I have two of them and think every house in Ireland should have one.

Saved the spare room from damp and mould, pleasant perk for the family unused to a damp, cold environment. Win win for me and the tenant.

I've one running right now in the shed with wet wetsuits and gear from the family's after work beach activities this week, it's moving to the campervan tomorrow. Essential kit!!!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I supplied a dehumidifier when I was renting my unfurnished house out. I have two of them and think every house in Ireland should have one.

Saved the spare room from damp and mould, pleasant perk for the family unused to a damp, cold environment. Win win for me and the tenant.

I've one running right now in the shed with wet wetsuits and gear from the family's after work beach activities this week, it's moving to the campervan tomorrow. Essential kit!!!

We've never used dehumidifiers in any of my families properties and none have damp issues. What are you doing to have so much damp in so many places? If you don't dry clothes indoors with all the windows closed and your house is properly maintained you won't have damp issues.

We've never used dehumidifiers in any of my families properties and none have damp issues. What are you doing to have so much damp in so many places? If you don't dry clothes indoors with all the windows closed and your house is properly maintained you won't have damp issues.

We don't have any damp issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Exactly this!! I have lived in several apartments drying clothes inside and have never had any issues with damp. Poor build quality/lack of maintenance is the main source of damp.

Rented a house in Dublin that was full of damp/mould because the landlord failed to maintain the property resulting in a collapsed floor in the living room. They told us to keep spraying the mould on the walls as if that would fix the issue, fortunately no longer live there.

• Advertisement

"spraying" mould is a joke. A good dehumidifier would have been far more effective in a building with damp problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

John_Rambo wrote: »
    "spraying" mould is a joke. A good dehumidifier would have been far more effective in a building with damp problems.

Would need to be some dehumidifier to tackle a house with rising and penetrating damp that needed new pointing and a new render.

It looked lovely when we moved in, then the damp appeared after some wet weather. Some mess when they lifted up the sunken floor in the living room. We moved out and the rent was hiked up another €600/month advertised on Daft a week later.

Advertisement