Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggot infestation in garden

Options
  • 21-08-2019 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi. I need help please. I have a maggot infestation in my back garden and they come out to play at night.. they are coming out of the garden onto my back garden pavement. There must be 100's of them between my back door and the back garden gate on the side of the house.

I made the mistake of putting a chicken uncovered into the organic bin and a fly must have laid eggs. The maggots appeared and since then its been a battle. I've got the ant killer powder and the wasp and fly killer spray and I've been trying my best today to nail them. They both have permethrin, which from what I've been reading is what you need to kill them. The bin was collected today and I'm confident the bin is sorted as I've cleaned it and its like new, but the garden is infested... This is the second night in a row they've appeared in the 100's. They disappear during the day.

Any ideas, anything?? If the food source is gone (rotten chicken), will it just be a week or two before these turn into flies and just go away??

Very anxious here hoping they dont get into the house

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Hi. I need help please. I have a maggot infestation in my back garden and they come out to play at night.. they are coming out of the garden onto my back garden pavement. There must be 100's of them between my back door and the back garden gate on the side of the house.

I made the mistake of putting a chicken uncovered into the organic bin and a fly must have laid eggs. The maggots appeared and since then its been a battle. I've got the ant killer powder and the wasp and fly killer spray and I've been trying my best today to nail them. They both have permethrin, which from what I've been reading is what you need to kill them. The bin was collected today and I'm confident the bin is sorted as I've cleaned it and its like new, but the garden is infested... This is the second night in a row they've appeared in the 100's. They disappear during the day.

Any ideas, anything?? If the food source is gone (rotten chicken), will it just be a week or two before these turn into flies and just go away??

Very anxious here hoping they dont get into the house

Pour boiling water over them, kills them straight away. Make sure there's no more food source in the area so flies can't lay any more eggs.

About a week before they turn into flies.

I'm having a nightmare with fruit flies this summer in the composter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Um mamggots

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maggots_123

I think it’s past now the stage of chasing them with powder and sprays as they’re in the soil. I have the food source eliminated I think, bins are clean and covered in spray/powder and topped up when rubbish goes into them.

Anyone ever hear of beneficial nematodes? Apparently these living organisms directly attack the maggots/larvae in the soil, one after the other until all are dead. Sounds perfect but I can’t find anything about them

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If they really are fly maggots, just ignore then, they'll turn into flies and fly off in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

let someone into fishing into the garden. They wont leave one behind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

love your username

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Bury the bodies a bit deeper next time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

Whatever they are, they ain't maggots..hairy Japanese bastards maybe

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Whatever they are, they ain't maggots.

Seems unlikely ok. Bluebottle and similar larvae wouldn't move away from the food source AFAIK. Leather jackets maybe? Any chance of a pic OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

slugs?

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay. I was away for a few days. I left the house hoping it would survive the invasion while I was away...

So, I've added two links below. Not a pleasant view!

The situation is, I blasted them out of it with powder and spray. On Wednesday night a whole load of them just died on their own accord, most of them I hadn’t even got with the chemicals so I'm not sure what that was about?? The birds cleared up the non-chemically killed ones the next morning and I swept up the ones I killed (see link below). Surely, they're maggots yes?

I haven't seen any since last week, so I go and wash down the pavement today with the hose thinking I've won the battle... Less than 20 mins later I see one.. ONE f**kin maggot on the pavement wriggling about in defiance.... I think the wet pavement brought him out of the soil. I believe it can possibly take up to 8 weeks in cold climates for these little feckers to change to flies. If I seen one this morning I'm thinking the soil might have a lot more hidden away but as its been dry and nice lately they've stayed in the soil.. I don't know, I'm just trying to make sense of the whole thing. Any words of encouragement would be welcome!

https:// ibb.co/BsMP0Jy

https:// ibb.co/ygs6VP1

^^ Because I'm a new user, boards won't let me put up links, but just copy the link and delete the space after https://

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I was joking :eek:

Now not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

my3cents wrote: »
    I was joking :eek:

Now not so much.

Me too, but don't worry so much op it's just nature taking its course, just be wary of putting out food again though. Any remaining maggots will soon if not already pupate and become flies, panic over.

Me too, but don't worry so much op it's just nature taking its course, just be wary of putting out food again though. Any remaining maggots will soon if not already pupate and become flies, panic over.

Oh I'm double bagging everything and topping up the bin and edges of the bin with spray every time I go near it!! Its probably overkill, but just while Im dealing wit this. Its amazing how many wasps I see dead around the edges of the bin, they must be trying to get in and then get caught up in the spray..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Your bin is a war zone.

Advertisement