Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using 2 Revolut cards to pay UK dealer

• 22-08-2019 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

My plan for paying £14,000 to UK car dealer account
    ... using my + friend's Revolut:

Option A
    I transfer £9,000 to UK dealer account (exchange fee for the £4,000)
    My friend keeps enough euro in his account to transfer to UK dealer £5,000 at my call. (free transfer and exchange)

Option B
    I exchange euro into £5,000 in my Revolut (free)
    I transfer required € amount to my friend's Revolut account (free). He will exchange using it to £5,000 (free)
    Then he transfers £5,000 back to my Revolut account (free)

Now I have £10,000 in my Revolut account.
    I can then pay by direct debit £14,000 to the UK dealer (paying fee for the €'s -> £4,000 exchange).

Is any advantage for A/B options?
    Is there a better/cheaper way?
    Please let me know if I am going wrong with any of this

If I am already at dealer in UK and the payment is taking too long or not working, I am in trouble. What to do in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

aka7 wrote: »
    My plan for paying £14,000 to UK car dealer account
    ... using my + friend's Revolut:

Option A
    I transfer £9,000 to UK dealer account (exchange fee for the £4,000)
    My friend keeps enough euro in his account to transfer to UK dealer £5,000 at my call. (free transfer and exchange)

Option B
    I exchange euro into £5,000 in my Revolut (free)
    I transfer required € amount to my friend's Revolut account (free). He will exchange using it to £5,000 (free)
    Then he transfers £5,000 back to my Revolut account (free)

Now I have £10,000 in my Revolut account.
    I can then pay by direct debit £14,000 to the UK dealer (paying fee for the €'s -> £4,000 exchange).

Is any advantage for A/B options?
    Is there a better/cheaper way?
    Please let me know if I am going wrong with any of this

If I am already at dealer in UK and the payment is taking too long or not working, I am in trouble. What to do in this case?

You can exchange 6000 euros a month so if have time exchange that now and another 6000 start of next month.

If dont have time to wait but dont want to pay excess charges there is a workaround. You can go premium, do the exchange as no excess costs. Then if you dont like premium revolut you can cancel within 14 days without having to pay excess fees back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 aka7

Cheers for that False Prophet
    I was not aware of the 14 days option with premium.

Will likely not have time to wait to end of month to exchange twice, but now, just realised the fee would only be about 50 quid, so I will probably just go ahead with my account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'm in the same boat and happy to pay the fee, it's tiny in comparison to the saving you'll make on the fx exchange.

If it makes it a bit easiler I've confirmed with Revolut support that a card transaction has no limited (it used to be 5k over 96 days or something similar.

Meaning instead of sorting a bank transfer you could pay in a single payment at POS in dealship...

Advertisement