Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Many Saints of Newark

• 22-08-2019 5:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Production is currently underway on “The Sopranos” prequel “The Many Saints of Newark,” and first look photos of a young Tony Soprano has surfaced on Comingsoon.net. Michael Gandolfini, son of the late James Gandolfini, is playing the young version of the character his father originated in “The Sopranos.”
    https://www.thewrap.com/the-many-saints-of-newark-michael-gandolfini-sopranos-prequel/

"Alan Taylor (“Thor: The Dark World”), who helmed 9 episodes of the groundbreaking HBO series, is directing the film co-written by “The Sopranos” series creator David Chase and Lawrence Konner."

EWF54BEISNBBJM74Q77PJGMYXI.jpg

The Sopranos, probably on everyone's top 5 list of best tv series ever: James Gandolfini's son will certainly have big shoes to fill. Bada bing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Michael Gandolfini looking the part of young Tony:

NINTCHDBPICT000482119054.jpg?strip=all&w=960

Title change of film to "Newark", apparently.
    Will this need a new thread title (by MOD)?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

He's the bulb of his aul fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Disappointed with that name change, Many Saints of Newark I'm pretty sure was riffed straight from the show. As in Livia referred to Johnny Boy as a "Saint" when he was anything but.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Only hearing about this. Any release date, info, serieses or a one off?

One off feature length on HBO, David Chase suggested there's a possibility it might evolve into a new series.

It centres on Chrissy's father and Tony's dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This was due for cinema release last month and is now pushed till March 2021.

If it gets pushed again I think it might land on HBO Max.

This was due for cinema release last month and is now pushed till March 2021.

If it gets pushed again I think it might land on HBO Max.

Can't even get a bloody trailer never mind full release. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

First trailer

Livia's snort and the shot of the back of Satriale's just has me so excited. I hope it's indeed Dickie that's driving the story, seems a fascinating character.

Think I spotted a young Big Pussy in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I am insanely excited about this, that trailer was like my dreams coming through of a return of the sopranos. His kid is the bulb off him and has his mannerisms. I'm still a bit iffy on some of the castings but I'll wait and reserve judgement.
    Is Ray liota playing Eckley DiMeo?

• Advertisement

First trailer

You got there before me;. I was gonna post a different one this morning; as I'm on a Sopranos rewatch- halfway through season 1.
    Release date was pushed out to Sept 4, but they've pushed it out by a further week to Oct 1. It'll also be available on HBO Max for the first month after its premiere.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

Trailer looks great.

Just realised the translation of The Many Saints of Newark = The Moltisantis of Newark

Makes more sense to me now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The hype is real, cannot wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Dickie looks like a young Richie Aprile.

rob316 wrote: »
    I am insanely excited about this, that trailer was like my dreams coming through of a return of the sopranos. His kid is the bulb off him and has his mannerisms. I'm still a bit iffy on some of the castings but I'll wait and reserve judgement.

He was originally reported to be DiMeo but it was said recently on Talking Sopranos podcast that he's playing
    Dickie's dad, so Christopher's grandfather.

Only just copped that the film's name refers to Chris Moltisanti's dad (as it's a "seen through the eyes of" angle), from a translation of his surname; "Molti Santi"- translated as "Many Saints".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I watched the Sopranos through for the first time about 2 years ago, I would certainly be looking forward to this

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• dmn22 wrote: »
    Trailer looks great.

Just realised the translation of The Many Saints of Newark = The Moltisantis of Newark

Makes more sense to me now :D

I hadn't spotted that. Thanks.

I'll be watching this, but trying to not build it up in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

rob316 wrote: »

He was strong as a ****ing bull, handsome like George Raft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

This looks f**king mighty. Can't wait. Hopefully there will be more episodes to go with it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ah here..just take my money

I thought Livia was Edie Falco for a second...

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Has the film retconned parts of the series? Some of the film is meant to be in the 1967 riots, but a flashback episode during them showed Tony to be about 8 or so years old.

Or does it start during them and fast forward to the mid 70's, keeping with his established age in the show?

If they have retconned him that would mean Tony is now aged in his early 70's languishing in prison :pac: (yep. He didn't die in the last episode, he was arrested clearly)

He's probably better off staying there, imagine what he would make of 2021. BLM, trans stuff, Twitter giving a voice to idiots......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Trailer looks great. Started rewatching it a couple of weeks ago, up to season 3 now. It really is the pinnacle of television, nothing has ever come close imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

He's probably better off staying there, imagine what he would make of 2021. BLM, trans stuff, Twitter giving a voice to idiots......

Yes, we should totally take advice from drug-dealing murderer Tony Soprano on those issues lol.

It's funny how some in the fanbase miss the whole point of the show and just idealise Tony. One of the main points is that Tony's a shameless hypocrite, taunting Meadow about how blacks are carjackers while he's exporting stolen cars to Italy, calling himself a good Catholic
    when it's revealed Vito's gay
    while having countless goomahs on the side, and so on.

Yes, we should totally take advice from drug-dealing murderer Tony Soprano on those issues lol.

It's funny how some in the fanbase miss the whole point of the show and just idealise Tony. One of the main points is that Tony's a shameless hypocrite, taunting Meadow about how blacks are carjackers while he's exporting stolen cars to Italy, calling himself a good Catholic
    when it's revealed Vito's gay
    while having countless goomahs on the side, and so on.

Sometimes we're all hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Sometimes we're all hypocrites.

Whatever happened to Gary Cooper

D.Q wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Gary Cooper

He died.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've watched this a couple a three times. When MG says "Whatch' ya say ta me?" It actually gave me a shiver it was so like the original!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Shred

Mind blown!

I’ve been looking forward to this for so long, can’t wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

If I'm honest, I don't think Gandolfini jnr was a good choice to play Tony.. let's see hope the film is better

Advertisement