Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing lease

Options
  • 22-08-2019 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

I am renting a property for the last 3 years with the lease renewed yearly. Every year the lease is different. It’s just downloaded, but obviously there are changes to it every year.

For example, year one said the tenant could have 1 dog and 1 cat, year three said one dog allowed as long as no damage to house. I’ve had a dog since shortly after we moved in.
    Year one said lawn would be maintained by landlord, year two changed to tenant maintaining. Year three has names of tenants listed, this wasn’t on previous lease. (This part is handwritten along with cost of rent).

Rent increased this year with two weeks notice. A nominal amount to be fair but no reason given, just a post it note stuck on front of lease which was put in the letterbox.

Is the landlord allowed to change the terms of the lease each year on renewal? I know I should have been given 56 days notice of rent increase.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I am renting a property for the last 3 years with the lease renewed yearly. Every year the lease is different. It’s just downloaded, but obviously there are changes to it every year.

For example, year one said the tenant could have 1 dog and 1 cat, year three said one dog allowed as long as no damage to house. I’ve had a dog since shortly after we moved in.
    Year one said lawn would be maintained by landlord, year two changed to tenant maintaining. Year three has names of tenants listed, this wasn’t on previous lease. (This part is handwritten along with cost of rent).

Rent increased this year with two weeks notice. A nominal amount to be fair but no reason given, just a post it note stuck on front of lease which was put in the letterbox.

Is the landlord allowed to change the terms of the lease each year on renewal? I know I should have been given 56 days notice of rent increase.

Yes to the changes, if you agree to them.

In relation to the increase, the notice of increase isn’t valid, but ask yourself what is the maximum that the rent can be increased with valid notice? Then decide what is better for you, an nominal increase, or a much higher increase with valid notice. If you insist on your entitlement, as is your absolute right, then I wouldn’t be surprised if the LL exercises his rights in relation to rent increase.

Finding a rental that allows dogs and has nominal rental increases make you the envy of many, many tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

A new lease is not needed every year. Once you were there six months you could simply have continued your tenancy under part IV of the residential tenancy act.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

A new lease is not needed every year. Once you were there six months you could simply have continued your tenancy under part IV of the residential tenancy act.

Gives more security of tenure though as LL cannot evict during term of lease, with a dog and rents that only increase nominally, the op should ask to sign a longer one.

Advertisement