Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Switch Neutral

Options
  • 22-08-2019 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I recently purchased a WiFi dimmer switch to use in my sitting room (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D345CTS). There was no neutral at the switch but all the wiring for the lights were joined just above this switch so i dropped a neutral wire down to it from there. This is connected to all the other neutrals on the lighting circuit so my wiring is like picture 1 below. All worked ok and connected to wifi and switch is working as it should.
    However there is a horrible screeching noise from the switch, i got on to the seller to ask about it and they say its wired wrong and must be like the 2nd image and that the switch is burning out.

I'm not sure which neutrals belong to the lights so wouldn't try to rewire to that.

Could the way i've wired it cause it to burn out and cause this noise? The original switch is back in for now.

Comments

Those two diagrams are the same thing.
    what sort of load have you got on the switch ?
    LEDs/incandescents ?
    what wattage etc,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

We don’t know if the lamps are designed to be dimmed and if they are they may not be compatible with the dimmer. It looks like this switch may be for LEDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

Tried with different loads, 3 10.5W LEDs, 2 60W incandescent, even with just 1 10.5W LED. The same issue happens for them all whether the lights are on or off or dimmed. It has 400W load max so no where near it.

I thought the same about the diagrams that it shouldn't make any difference.

2011 wrote: »
    We don’t know if the lamps are designed to be dimmed and if they are they may not be compatible with the dimmer. It looks like this switch may be for LEDs.

The LED bulbs are dimmable ttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0727Q8YLQ

The functionality of the switch is fine, dimming, wifi etc, its just the noise, they are saying because its not wired correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Turnrew

I'd just return it ,you'll get a refund and postage pai

Wire it up with a 13a plug and a 100w incandescent bulb and see what happens

• Advertisement

Turnrew wrote: »
    I'd just return it ,you'll get a refund and postage pai

Wire it up with a 13a plug and a 100w incandescent bulb and see what happens

Thanks, tried with a plug and lamp and it's still screeching. It's gone past the standard return window for Amazon and it's a 3rd party seller so not straight forward return but will ask for refund or replacement.

Advertisement