Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rome Itinerary Advice

• 22-08-2019 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Going to Rome with Mrs in October and looking for some advice.

Wednesday
    Fly in morning. Get the train from Airport to Rome and drop bags off at hotel for around 12.30. Segway or Bicycle tour that afternoon and chill for the evening.

Thursday/Friday
    Train first thing the next morning to Naples/Pompeii to collect motorcycle (hotel will be close to train station).
    Spend Thursday and Friday on the Amalfi coast touring, eating, swimming etc.
    Train Friday evening to Rome.

Saturday
    Whole day free in Rome. Looking for recommendations was thinking half day at Vatican and half day walking around.

Sunday
    Sleep in and get to the airport for 11.

I know it's personal taste but is it worth visiting Pompeii and how much time would you give to it. Also on the Saturday is it worth going to Vatican or would you just stay in Rome?

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Umiq88 wrote: »

Wednesday
    Fly in morning. Get the train from Airport to Rome and drop bags off at hotel for around 12.30. Segway or Bicycle tour that afternoon and chill for the evening.

Thursday/Friday
    Train first thing the next morning to Naples/Pompeii to collect motorcycle (hotel will be close to train station).

Saturday
    Whole day free in Rome. Looking for recommendations was thinking half day at Vatican and half day walking around.

Sunday

I know it's personal taste but is it worth visiting Pompeii and how much time would you give to it. Also on the Saturday is it worth going to Vatican or would you just stay in Rome?

Any suggestions welcome.

Go to the Vatican, its amazing, to the tour and see the Sistine Chapel - it truly is a wonder of the world. It took our collective breath away. Go see the Colloseum too. But one day in Rome it'll be hard to fit it all in. A whole day is needed in the Vatican alone really. If you want to see both in one day, to the Vatican in the morning and a bus tour of the city in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Umiq88 wrote: »

Wednesday

Thursday/Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Any suggestions welcome.

I would suggest concentrating on Rome, there is load and loads to see and do, I was there recently for my second visit of 4 days and I will be back. Leave the Amalfi coast until you can do it some justice...you barely have enough time to see Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

solerina wrote: »
    I would suggest concentrating on Rome, there is load and loads to see and do, I was there recently for my second visit of 4 days and I will be back. Leave the Amalfi coast until you can do it some justice...you barely have enough time to see Rome.

This.
    Rome should be enjoyed, not rushed.
    We spend half a day just sitting outside a restaurant, eating and drinking and watching the world go by.
    Bliss!!

(worth getting good food recommendations also).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Too many crowds on the Amalfi Coast. Pompeii and the Bay of Naples are stunning but I would concentrate on Rome if you only have a few days. Colliseum and Roman Forum not to be missed. Vatican would take a good few hours.

People watching at the Trevi Fountain or Spanish Steps - a stroll through Villa Borghesa would fill your days.

Beware of pickpockets at major tourist sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Technique

The Trastevere area is nice, lots of good restaurants and cheaper than the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We spent 5 nights in Rome about 18 months ago. 2nd visit. Still not enough time.
    We have done Pompeii & Amalfi Coast separately too.
    Echo what others have said - concentrate on Rome for this visit.
    We stayed in an Airbnb in Trastavere - recommend that area as a base.

Advertisement