Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector throw & zoom

Options
  • 22-08-2019 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭

Just researching getting a projector set up. The distance from unit to wall is 3 metres and the wall it is going to be projected on is a chimney breast so I want the projected screen to fill the breast edge to edge. The breast is 160cm wide and I have about 1.5m of vertical space to use too. I think my maths are right in that a 160cm width space at 16.9 gives me a projected size of 160cm x 90cm.

But wondering weather a 'normal' projector can project that specific size from a distance of 3m. Im aware there is short throw projectors which can project a big size from 1.5-2m but I dont want to have the unit hanging from the ceiling, would prefer it against the back wall on a shelf and out of the eyesight when not being used.

I've also seen zoom projectors and think this is what I need to make the projection fit a specific size. But unsure of how these scale- are zoom projectors only for making a big screen even bigger or can they zoom in and scale down the picture to a specific size? If they can scale down then with the figs given what approx % would I the projector need to scale down to fit the 160cmx90cm space at the 3m distance that I have?

Also when it comes to distance and size of screen projected is there any sort of rule of thumb or is each projector different in what size it puts out?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

To get that size image from 3m would probably need a projector with a so-called “long throw” lens .

Just a few questions - why a projector, the image size is just a little over large TV territory ? Is this to be viewed in normal daylight conditions ? Have you see a projector used somewhere else in similar conditions ? Any idea of budget ? So for questions, it might help someone giving you some more focused advice,

For more research, projectorcentral.com has a database of virtually all projectors and includes a throw-distance calculator for most of them, very useful for checking if likely candidates will suit you.

HTH,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks Ritz.

Yeah I know it will only give me a 65 inch screen but Im constrained by the width of the chimney breast- also the alcove next to it will only fix max a 40 inch tv and Id like something bigger so projecting onto the chimney breast seems like a good way to go. I am also considering getting a projector screen that would over lap the chimney breast but Id need something that just hangs there and can be removed away for storage as it would look stupid permanently up and over lapping the brest.

Id like the projector for some things like watching Netflix, sports and the odd bit of gaming. It wont be used in daylight conditions. Budget is up to €500. I did a search on Amazon for long throw projectors but it seems to just return results without that in the description. Any short throw ones Ive seen are pretty expensive, would imagine long throw ones are similar? Maybe Im better off just getting a ceiling mount and placing it in the correct position, would imagine this to work out better value than buying a top of the range unit?

Will check out that projectorcentral.com site

Advertisement