Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New desktop hurting my eyes

Options
  • 22-08-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hope you can help me.

I moved from a vista desktop with monitor an all in one pc with windows.

My eyes are in bits from the screen. The old pc the characters were fatter and not so bright. 18inch screen not 28inch.
    The new one the characters are sharper smaller and the background is brighter. I think it is refreshing faster than the old pc.
    Any suggestions to make it easier on my eyes. I have made the characters larger but it is still too sharp and bright. dont need glasses for reading.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

tvjunki wrote: »
    Hope you can help me.

I moved from a vista desktop with monitor an all in one pc with windows.

My eyes are in bits from the screen. The old pc the characters were fatter and not so bright. 18inch screen not 28inch.
    The new one the characters are sharper smaller and the background is brighter. I think it is refreshing faster than the old pc.
    Any suggestions to make it easier on my eyes. I have made the characters larger but it is still too sharp and bright. dont need glasses for reading.

Thanks in advance.

Turn down the brightness.

Also look into turning on reading mode to strip out the blue light emitting from the screen. It'll make it easier on the eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

I know this sound daft but how do I do reading mode? Not very techie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Cordell wrote: »

Do I put the pc on 'night hours' all the time to make it easier for the eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

tvjunki wrote: »
    Do I put the pc on 'night hours' all the time to make it easier for the eyes?

Thats what i do myself. Just leave it on rather than setting a scheduled time for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Why not, if you like it better on night mode who cares it's midday? It's nigh time somewhere for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

And you can enable the night light from the notification bar (see below):

118815d1485581525-turn-off-night-light-windows-10-a-night_light_in_action_center.jpg

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate your help. Will have a go and see if it helps. Keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When was your last eye test? You might need glasses for screen use, you can get coatings on glasses to reduce screen glare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

I use f.lux

It adjusts the screen brightness and colours based on your time zone and it happens gradually, so you don't notice it (until you turn of f.lux and you really see how blinding the screen is)

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    When was your last eye test? You might need glasses for screen use, you can get coatings on glasses to reduce screen glare.

I suffer with migraines so bright lights do not help. I wear glasses for driving only for eye strain and they have anti glare on them. Never had a problem with the old pc but the new one is not helping at all. Eyes tested last year.

dmc17 wrote: »
    I use f.lux

It adjusts the screen brightness and colours based on your time zone and it happens gradually, so you don't notice it (until you turn of f.lux and you really see how blinding the screen is)

Will try that also. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Turn on the nightmode and decrease the brightness. In addition, sit far away from your PC, blink 20 times per minute and take regular breaks. Better to use eyeglasses.

Advertisement