Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 Back Glass Repair Cost

• 22-08-2019 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭

Dropped my iPhone 8 on some tiles and the backing glass on it is badly cracked, luckily the otterbox screen protector only cracked on the front and not the screen itself.

Apple live chat wouldn’t give me a straight answer for repair/replacing the backing for some reason without me first posting it to them (I’m not close to any certified repair centre), and a shop on the street gave me a quote of €99 to replace but I’m unsure about it without knowing exactly how they do it (all videos on the internet appear to have people using heat guns to melt the adhesive and that much heat surely can’t be good for the phone?)

So I’m wondering does anyone know how much Apple charge or have any advice on how to have it replaced? I should add that the phone is only ~3 months old and performing well otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Prices are up on https://support.apple.com/en-ie/iphone/repair/service/pricing

If you have AppleCare+ it would €100, if not then I think it could be the full €382 price

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

brav wrote: »

If you have AppleCare+ it would €100, if not then I think it could be the full €382 price

Absolutely criminal.

Apple understands that their phones are made of glass right? Glass inevitably breaks.. How can they actually charge that much for something they know that will easily get damaged? Sheer profit and a FU to its customers? Either way, any company with that kind of pricing for a back panel should be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Yakult wrote: »
    Absolutely criminal.

Apple understands that their phones are made of glass right? Glass inevitably breaks.. How can they actually charge that much for something they know that will easily get damaged? Sheer profit and a FU to its customers? Either way, any company with that kind of pricing for a back panel should be avoided.

You can get insurance to cover it, and also a phone case would have prevented this. I’ve had an iPhone for 4 years now and not caused any damage to it. I’ve dropped it countless times and even into a glass of water.
    I have a case and the phone is water resistant. All good here. However I do feel sorry for someone who smashes a new phone but seriously spend the 30 quid on a case.
    Samsung screen replacement and panels cost the same. I also have a samsung glass front and back for the last 4 years. Not a mark. It’s also in an otterbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

You can get insurance to cover it, and also a phone case would have prevented this. I’ve had an iPhone for 4 years now and not caused any damage to it. I’ve dropped it countless times and even into a glass of water.
    I have a case and the phone is water resistant. All good here. However I do feel sorry for someone who smashes a new phone but seriously spend the 30 quid on a case.
    Samsung screen replacement and panels cost the same. I also have a samsung glass front and back for the last 4 years. Not a mark. It’s also in an otterbox.

It's more the engineering of a device which, when it suffers cosmetic damage, requires the replacement of the whole chasis/enclosure that's the eyebrow raising part ;)

In all my years owning phones this is the first time it's ever happened to me so I had long stopped buying cases for phones. A screen protector, just in case, but that's as far as I would go.

Lesson learned and all that but I don't see the point in creating an attractive, nice looking personal device if it becomes a necessity for the end user to hide it away in a gaudy silicone/plastic/composite casing.

Advertisement