Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stick it out in current job- or take new one

Options
  • 22-08-2019 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Another one of those 'advice' searching threads, have talked to a few family and friends about this but feel the impartiality of strangers may help out a bit with decision making.

I work in professional services and have been in my current role for about 1 year- the job itself is fine, money is ok (could be a bit better) but the workplace itself is quite flexible with starting times, working from home options every now and again and a fair bit of autonomy with how you choose to do the job. The company has been operating for a long time, but wouldn't have the best name/market share out there compared to other companies.

It also seems to be changing slightly to a more metric driven company, where stringent rules and profits are a bit more applied as opposed to autonomy being the key factor of the role.

We have also had quite a high level of turnover in the last year, with over 66% of the current service team of 12 having started within the last 12 months as replacements for other staff.

I plan on going back to Graduate School in 2021 to train in an unrelated area, as it's always been a passion of mine so I don't intend on being in this field of work for too much longer.

However, i've been offered a role in a global leader in their field within the last few days. It has a fantastic reputation, long-serving members of staff, really on the cutting edge of what is being offered out there.

I am looking for a bit of advice, as I really am in two-minds as to what to do. I am not actively seeking to leave my role, as I am happy enough here and realise I only have about 2 years left in this field- but this opportunity came up and I was offered the interview so decided to try it.

In terms of comparisons:

I live about 40km from the new job, whilst I live about 3km from my current role- I have a car so not really an issue, essentially looking at a 30 minute commute as opposed to 20 minute walk.

I wouldn't have as much flexibility with the new job in terms of staggering starting times or remote working as it would be all company based.

Money is around the same so not a huge factor.

My current workplace colleagues are also nice, with the exception of 1 individual (we work in a small team) however I don't know anyone on the new jobs team so wouldn't be able to compare based on this.

Just wondering would anyone have any advice for what I should do? The new job is definitely a more exciting role and would be with a more commercially successful company, however as I mentioned I am planning on staying in this industry for about 2 more years before I move into a new one- so i'm not sure that I should be concerned with this element of it. I also have been missold role sin the past and have regretted leaving my job, so it's not something I want to do again- as if I do move it will be for the 2 years before I start graduate school again.

If anyone has any advice (obviously with the limited information, sorry) please let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Are you really assure that three grass is greener on the other side?

I'm not convinced swapping to the Kenney company would be as beneficial as you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you don't intend on staying in the field of work, and money is the same and you're not looking to build a career then I'd stay stick with what you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

why add all the extra pain and expense for a longer commute when you aren't going to stick around past 2 years anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

you say you have been offered a role, so i assume you interviewed etc? did you get a good vide about the office culture etc? What does you gut feeling tell you.

i would consult your gut feeling on this one. I recently turned down a job with a small pay rise (3%ish ) and slightly shorter commute because it was less flexible about everything from working from home to booking days off. Or at least that was the deciding factor in my decision if you get my meaning.

2 years in a good role would be 2 years well spent, so i would not be basing my decision on the fact you might leave in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The flexibility of the hours might be handy when you start doing your course - you might welcome a part time job or chance to make summer money/occasional hours with them when you leave to study - probably not going to happen in new more stringent job..

If the money is the same & all that you will be getting is to work with a big brand with an unknown team and work athmosphere then I'd be strongly considering not moving.

You are in your role +1 year and so cannot just be dismissed -not so for a year if you move.
    You have a mostly nice team and good working conditions
    When you factor in the petrol you will possibly be working for less money in the new job -tankfull (e60 a eeek) x 50 weeks is quite a lot
    New employer un new industry in the future may value a 3 year consistent employment history rather than a year, change,leave change career
    Your current boss will more likely give you a good reference as they already know and like you
    People can ruin a work environment - for the same money,an hour a day driving and possibly harder more stringent work conditions you will move to the unknown from a nice place you will be leaving anyway.
    Dosnt seem worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement