Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No physical licence

• 22-08-2019 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭

I returned from living in New Zealand last year. I had exchanged my Irish driving licence while there and had to exchange my NZ driving licence for an Irish one when I came back here. This involves handing in my NZ licence and waiting for my new Irish licence to arrive in the post. This process can take up to a few months. Basically at the minute I dont have an actual driving licence, I have a receipt from the NDLS saying I have applied and this is to be shown to the Gardai if my licence is requested. I was also told this is to be shown to my insurance company if requested.

My problem arose when my car insurance came up for renewal. I got a policy quote several hundred euros cheaper than with my current company so I cancelled my policy and went with the new company. This company then asked for a scan of my licence so I sent them the NDLS receipt to say my licence was basically in the post. They have coma back and said this is not acceptable by them and they need a scan of a physical licence.

I am now in the situation that I have neither an NZ or Irish licence and I cant get insurance without one of them. I am potentially off the road now for a few months which will be fairly troublesome for both work and family requirements.

I have called the NDLS and they said there is nothing they can do. There is no emergency licence facility, no fast track service and the insurance company are equally non movable on their policy.

Has anyone any ideas about other options that may be available to me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring several insurers and ask if one of them will accept the NDLS receipt for now.

Or, go back to your original company.

Advertisement