Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian Coleman my face suspension over missed drug test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mike9832 wrote: »
    I can't believe this to be true, it seems ridiculous

Out of the top 11 fastest ever, 10 of them are on peds, except Bolt

Would be like going into a gym and picking the 10 biggest mofos juiced to the gills on roids and the strongest is the lanky dude on nothing but chicken and rice, who doesn't even train as hard as them

That only happens in Disney movies :)

Bolt trains hard......you can't know if he trains harder or not than others

And he's more than just "lanky."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

I think most have accepted that drugs are just part of the sport now, it doesn't mean we can't sit back and enjoy athletics.

This is what I have done..stopped watching athletics about 10yrs ago because it was so obvious the sport was rotten but recently tuned back in and now just accept the dopers have won.

nannerby wrote: »
    This is what I have done..stopped watching athletics about 10yrs ago because it was so obvious the sport was rotten but recently tuned back in and now just accept the dopers have won.

So rotten.....but why.....?

Did you base it off actual analysis and research and corroborative investigations?

To blanket throw out the word rotten to a sport, well.......

Kind of needs a detailed analysis and breakdown, and god forbid, facts and proof...

Or maybe a few (small percentage) cheats in your eyes is enough to label the whole sport as rotten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

walshb wrote: »
    So rotten.....but why.....?

Did you base it off actual analysis and research and corroborative investigations?

To blanket throw out the word rotten to a sport, well.......

Kind of needs a detailed analysis and breakdown, and god forbid, facts and proof...

Or maybe a few (small percentage) cheats in your eyes is enough to label the whole sport as rotten?

Any one bar Bolt that runs a fast 100m time seems to fail a drug test.
    Womens 1500m in the Olmypics 2012 was rotten to the core.

The lack of testing in Kenya, Jamaica and Ethopia is beyond a joke.

Womens olympic marathon winners from the last two Olympics failed a drug test.

The list goes on but Coe doesn't care as the money is rolling in for him

Any one bar Bolt that runs a fast 100m time seems to fail a drug test.
    Womens 1500m in the Olmypics 2012 was rotten to the core.

The lack of testing in Kenya, Jamaica and Ethopia is beyond a joke.

Womens olympic marathon winners from the last two Olympics failed a drug test.

The list goes on but Coe doesn't care as the money is rolling in for him

Anyone bar Bolt?

Can you give me numbers/percentages etc.....

I see 9-10 listed here as regards sub 9.8

Same for all other disciplines. Vast majority of elites are not failing tests.

Many many many men and women have run very fast times for 100 metres; the percentage of convicted cheaters here......hardly equates to labeling the sport as a whole, rotten...

The sport, like other sports has those who break the rules........this OTT exaggeration about the level of cheating is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Yes, every sub 10 runner in history. Read the post. That includes Jim Hines in 1968.

Nope. Still speculation, all emanating from a report in the Daily mail.

Well the Guardian and BBC seem happy enough with the source of the allegations, and have also run stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Anyone bar Bolt?

Many many many men and women have run very fast times for 100 metres; the percentage of convicted cheaters here......hardly equates to labeling the sport as a whole, rotten...

The sport, like other sports has those who break the rules........this OTT exaggeration about the level of cheating is nonsense.

17 gold medalists at the 2012 Olympics failed a drug test and was stripped of their medals, this is just athletics and not anything else.
    Not counting 2nd place and 3rd place that was stripped, or even the 1500 womens race.
    This is also not counting past drug cheats winning medals at this olympics!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Anyone bar Bolt?

If black was white you’d argue the other way and vice versa......

Sifan Hassan broke the mile record earlier in the year running 4.12.xx her previous best was 4.14.71 ran last year prior to starting training with Alberto Salazar. At that level that amount of improvement in space of 12 months smells of one thing and it ain’t great training or a coach......

You argue a good point walshb as always but even your not that thick to think Athletics is clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

OOnegative wrote: »

Sifan Hassan broke the mile record earlier in the year running 4.12.xx her previous best was 4.14.71 ran last year prior to starting training with Alberto Salazar. At that level that amount of improvement in space of 12 months smells of one thing and it ain’t great training or a coach......

You argue a good point walshb as always but even your not that thick to think Athletics is clean.

With that coach, you'd be right

Top level athletics is impossible to compete in clean right now

Would I want my son to be a runner when he's older if he has to put his health at risk doping in order to be competitive?

That's what peds have done to the sport.

Walshb is living in disney thinking hard work and dedication gets you the top

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjar6zSqJnkAhWaSxUIHX_BBggQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.azquotes.com%2Fquote%2F537578&psig=AOvVaw3U59rXSMbAlYZua2ovVjD2&ust=1566660858345693

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

17 gold medalists at the 2012 Olympics failed a drug test and was stripped of their medals, this is just athletics and not anything else.
    Not counting 2nd place and 3rd place that was stripped, or even the 1500 womens race.

That's mad stuff I stopped going to major events after 2008 but tbh I didn't think it was that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well the Guardian and BBC seem happy enough with the source of the allegations, and have also run stories.
    Stories of allegations sell copies or becomes clickbait and both of them know how to do that well. It doesn't make them true.

OOnegative wrote: »

I never said it was clean. I am arguing at the OTT slating of it as a sport.

Walshb is living in disney thinking hard work and dedication gets you the top

Are you saying it doesn't?

That's mad stuff I stopped going to major events after 2008 but tbh I didn't think it was that bad.

That's just it. You thew out this blanket rotten statement, and yet you didn't know what the dogs on the street knew as regards fails for 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I hope the Ingebrigtsens are clean, and our athletes of course

Can you provide a link for this, please?

Circa 45 gold medals (EVENTS) handed out in track and field at London.......

17 gold medalists.....you sure on this figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Are you saying it doesn't?

You need both now in this sport

You need both now in this sport

Really.....

How so..?

What about those who are at or near the very top who have never failed dope tests......you including them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Itziger wrote: »
    Thing about this is, even those who come in and say they want to change the doping culture in a sport (be it Athletics, Cycling, Baseball..... or the sports that don't have any problems with drugs such as Rugby, GAA and football), even those people get corrupted by the money in the end.

Power, they say, corrupts and I wouldn't disagree but money must be up there too. The whole world saw what it took to bring Lance A to 'justice'. Sometimes the appetite is there for these big fights and sometimes it's not.

And yes, I was being facetious about the sports that don't have a drug problem!!

Rugby and football don't have any problems with drugs? LOL with a capital L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Thing about this is, even those who come in and say they want to change the doping culture in a sport (be it Athletics, Cycling, Baseball..... or the sports that don't have any problems with drugs such as Rugby, GAA and football), even those people get corrupted by the money in the end.

Power, they say, corrupts and I wouldn't disagree but money must be up there too. The whole world saw what it took to bring Lance A to 'justice'. Sometimes the appetite is there for these big fights and sometimes it's not.

And yes, I was being facetious about the sports that don't have a drug problem!!

Rugby and football don't have any problems with drugs? LOL with a capital L.
    You did read my last line, right?
    Lol.

• Advertisement

Do you actually believe this?

I can run 100 metres in 13 seconds, and I'm an old fart....

Seriously, some of the nonsense I read on people's views of what pro athletes should and should not be achieving....

I'm going to need to see verification of that time of yours? Electronically timed or it doesn't count. ;)

There are some OTT comments. Saying that sub 10 is impossible without drugs is simply not true.

You did read my last line, right?
    Lol.

Ah damn it. My bad. Social media is the ruination of us isn't it. Destroying our attention spans and our willingness to actually read from start to finish rather than skim.

average runner, any sign that link to the 17 gold medalists in T&F at 2012 London being stripped for doping offences?

Under 9.90-10.00 is probably possible, anything under 9.75, not a chance

Every single one of them were on peds that made those times

Have you taken peds?

Have you experience the difference they make?

See this comment is too general. Are you saying anything faster than 9.90 with a 0 wind is impossible, or anything faster than 9.90 with a +2.0 wind. The difference is significant at around a tenth of a second. Throw in conditions, track surface, level of competition around you etc and it suddenly its not so easy to just compare everyone's time and paint broad brush strokes.

I can't believe this to be true, it seems ridiculous

Out of the top 11 fastest ever, 10 of them are on peds, except Bolt

Would be like going into a gym and picking the 10 biggest mofos juiced to the gills on roids and the strongest is the lanky dude on nothing but chicken and rice, who doesn't even train as hard as them

That only happens in Disney movies :)

Pure myth that Bolt didn't train hard. He trained as hard as anyone, and as he got older he really cleaned up his diet.

Page after page of people saying the sport is rotten and filthy off the back of the sport actually catching a cheat.

And then people wonder why tennis and football don't try expose big name cheats. Why the hell would they want to do that to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Always baffled by those who think Bolt is the only clean 100m champion.

It'll never be proved one way or the other now, but I have no doubt he was juicing like the rest.

17 gold medallists from the 47 athletics events have been stripped of their medals? You sir, are talking bullsh1t.

His statement is completely untrue. Don't believe everything you read on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    17 gold medallists from the 47 athletics events have been stripped of their medals? You sir, are talking bullsh1t.

It’s this throwing around of bullsh1t that is so damaging to the sport.

I don’t know exact numbers, but think the total number is 7-8 “medalists” were stripped...out of circa 150 medals..

Advertisement