Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bead filled wide cavity

• 22-08-2019 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Could someone explain how a masonry cavity wall fully filled with bead insulation prevents water reaching the internal leaf? Are they always combined with waterproof renders?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Read around the forum. Bead is an excepted form of cavity filling. Standard mortar render is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭moldy_sea

BryanF wrote: »
    Read around the forum. Bead is an excepted form of cavity filling. Standard mortar render is fine

Would a brick outer be also accepted?

There is a lot of cruft to read through, difficult to find gems. Though I'm sure people are tired of repeating themselves too, understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

moldy_sea wrote: »

There is a lot of cruft to read through, difficult to find gems. Though I'm sure people are tired of repeating themselves too, understandable.

Will need engineering design signoff if wide cavity, especially if brick outside layer

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

From NSAI Agrement certificate for one of the products....

"Cavity walls with the outer leaf
    constructed using unrendered (fair-faced) block
    work are not suitable for full-fill cavity wall
    insulation. They are therefore not approved by
    this Certificate."

"In normal exposure areas the types of outer
    leaf masonry finishes where the XXXXX Cavity
    Wall Insulation System is suitable are as follows:

 Impervious cladding and rendered walls with a
    minimum cavity width of 40 mm and up to
    12m in height, and
     Fair faced unrendered brickwork with tooled
    flush joints up to two storeys in height with a
    minimum cavity width of 40 mm.
     Walls must be in a good state of repair with
    no evidence of frost damage. Mortar joints
    must not show evidence of damage which
    would cause water ingress."

So if your mum was using bead fill and wanted a brick outer would you try and talk her out of it and use a block and render instead?

So your mum is building the house. And you want to know can she have a bead cavity fill with a brick outer leaf?

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    So your mum is building the house. And you want to know can she have a bead cavity fill with a brick outer leaf?

Eh no, it was an expression. But your question is correct. And a follow on would be if you would you recommend block and render over brick as an outer?

Block & render with beads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

From NSAI Agrement certificate for one of the products....

 Fair faced unrendered brickwork with tooled
    flush joints up to two storeys in height with a
    minimum cavity width of 40 mm.

So if your mum was using bead fill and wanted a brick outer would you try and talk her out of it and use a block and render instead?

The bit I've left from the NSAI cert would allow for a brick outer leaf (if the correct mortar finish is used) if that was your preference. Assuming the property is max 2 storey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Gileadi wrote: »
    The bit I've left from the NSAI cert would allow for a brick outer leaf (if the correct mortar finish is used) if that was your preference. Assuming the property is max 2 storey.

Only in certain areas of the country with lower exposure. There will be a map in the middle of the agrement cert.

Advertisement