Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB incomer

Options
  • 22-08-2019 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just back from looking at a house my sister bought. Lot of work to be done but one thing I noticed is that the ESB incomer is coming through tohe top of a door frame and into the cutout and metre which is mounted in a cabinet in the kitchen.

Very surprised the ESB would do something like this, surely this is something they should fix FOC, no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Pics attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Hi Guys,

Just back from looking at a house my sister bought. Lot of work to be done but one thing I noticed is that the ESB incomer is coming through tohe top of a door frame and into the cutout and metre which is mounted in a cabinet in the kitchen.

Very surprised the ESB would do something like this, surely this is something they should fix FOC, no?

If it ain't broke then why should they fix it, FOC or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

As you know the best bet is to have the meter moved outside where they can read it.
    They may facilitate with that, but not if it's to a location indoors that they cant get to.

The new 16.sq.mm from your board to the meter location
    will be your responsibility though.

Portsalon wrote: »
    If it ain't broke then why should they fix it, FOC or otherwise?

Because it looks like absolutely terrible workmanship and it’s the ESBs cable not the customers

Stoner wrote: »
    As you know the best bet is to have the meter moved outside where they can read it.
    They may facilitate with that, but not if it's to a location indoors that they cant get to.

The new 16.sq.mm from your board to the meter location
    will be your responsibility though.

Agreed, would be much better suited in a metre cabinet outside, if you look at the attached pics of outside you can see the incomer coming down the wall, if the metre cabinet was to be situated on the side wall nearer the front of the house are they responsible for getting there cable to the cabinet? Presume they wouldn’t clip it along the wall, it would need to go to ground and then into a duct and back up into the cabinet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's how it was done back in the day.....

Sure ESb dude added an extra socket in my grandad house which bypassed the board.....

Still there to this day.. nobody there though.

Outside pics

That's how it was done back in the day.....

Sure ESb dude added an extra socket in my grandad house which bypassed the board.....

Still there to this day.. nobody there though.

Yep I suspected that’s how it was done alright but surely with the push on new regulations etc they should be accountable for fixing stuff like this?

Yep I suspected that’s how it was done alright but surely with the push on new regulations etc they should be accountable for fixing stuff like this?

Thing is it was ok so until major refurb they will state it's fine....

Would the board be old screw fuse or MCB?

Thing is it was ok so until major refurb they will state it's fine....

Would the board be old screw fuse or MCB?

Board looks like it was changed last year, it’s now MCBs

If she’s to put a metre cabinet on the external wall, are they responsible for getting there cable to it? Presumably it would need to go into ducting?

• Advertisement

If she’s to put a metre cabinet on the external wall, are they responsible for getting there cable to it? Presumably it would need to go into ducting?

Would be a good time if possible to put meter outside of suits... Best place for it and leaves things tidier inside...

Ducting should be fine once electrical standard.

I'm not 100% on if they would charge or not and it's possible they will.

Cheers for the replys, just thought it looked crap and said I’d see what insight everyone had!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

The ESB will most likely charge for moving there meters and will run the cable down the external of the wall into the new meter cabinet outside if you want. The new cabinet can also be a surface cabinet if needed, best request a site visit from one of there engineers and they'll advise you on what needs to be done for them to move the meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

If the board was recently changed then new tails should be connected into the meter
    a certificate is required for this
    Pic 3 indicates this is not done
    This would be a more immediate concern

(Just noticed she recently bought it but my concern still stands)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I have no words.

Sweet mother of Jeebus.

I hope the black stuff isn't mold - meaning the installation is damp on top of the trainwreck it already is..

Sorry, that's not helpful OP, I would not feel safe in that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Steve wrote: »
    I have no words.

Sweet mother of Jeebus.

I hope the black stuff isn't mold - meaning the installation is damp on top of the trainwreck it already is..

Sorry, that's not helpful OP, I would not feel safe in that house.

That might be an angle to approach the ESB with.
    It's not a good installation, they don't have easy access to meter, you're willing to do preparatory work for meter in new location. Would mean cutting tales for them instead of running new cable from supply.
    Be better for everyone involved.

Might be worth approaching local office for a chat.

When were the pictures taken? Did you say an MCB board had been fitted?

That might be an angle to approach the ESB with.
    It's not a good installation, they don't have easy access to meter, you're willing to do preparatory work for meter in new location. Would mean cutting tales for them instead of running new cable from supply.
    Be better for everyone involved.

Might be worth approaching local office for a chat.

When were the pictures taken? Did you say an MCB board had been fitted?

Took pics the other night, there’s a small board beside the metre with breakers in it. To be fair to house needs a rewire either way but she only noticed the esb incomer the other night.

I’ll give the esb a call and request a site visit next week

EHP wrote: »
    The ESB will most likely charge for moving there meters and will run the cable down the external of the wall into the new meter cabinet outside if you want. The new cabinet can also be a surface cabinet if needed, best request a site visit from one of there engineers and they'll advise you on what needs to be done for them to move the meters.

That’s good to know, having to recess the cabinet on the external wall would be a major pain in the...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Took pics the other night, there’s a small board beside the metre with breakers in it. To be fair to house needs a rewire either way but she only noticed the esb incomer the other night.

I’ll give the esb a call and request a site visit next week

It’s unlikely esbn will do anything for you. If you want the service repositioned or altered then there will be a charge. They will require a certificate from a rec to do so. They possibly will serve you with a notice of potential hazard for the current installation. My advice is to get a rec out beforehand

meercat wrote: »
    It’s unlikely esbn will do anything for you. If you want the service repositioned or altered then there will be a charge. They will require a certificate from a rec to do so. They possibly will serve you with a notice of potential hazard for the current installation. My advice is to get a rec out beforehand

Surely though they need to disconnect and move there part? REC is only responsible for removing tails?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Surely though they need to disconnect and move there part? REC is only responsible for removing tails?

I think the poster is implying they will not do anything without payment.

I wonder if one were to want a day/night meter as it's a free installation would the guy do the new installation if it were put outside as it would require the same work pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Esb won’t come out and do anything just because it looks bad, that’s the way it was ran back in the day and that’s the way every older terraced house in the country is still fed! If you want to reposition the meter outside, you will have to mount a box in the wall, and provide a red duct from the bottom right corner of that box to the bottom of your pole! Esb will request a cert from your electrician who prob won’t very the house, my advise is get house rewired, if you intend on putting meter cabinet outside then do that during the rewire and get your Rec to run his cables out to it! if you cannot put cabinet outside, the meter must wait up inside as is but you still need to rewire house!
    But ESB will not do anything here FOC

I wonder if one were to want a day/night meter as it's a free installation would the guy do the new installation if it were put outside as it would require the same work pretty much.

How is it the same work pretty much?

TheBully wrote: »
    How is it the same work pretty much?

Ah cause it is... If it's beside the line coming in and all up to scratch it ain't to difficult....

Not saying it will work but sure you never know....

Ah cause it is... If it's beside the line coming in and all up to scratch it ain't to difficult....

Not saying it will work but sure you never know....
    The esb won’t but a meter up outside without it being in a cabinet recessed into the wall and ducted to the bottom of the pole! The OPs service is clipped along the house then bundle wired up to the top of the pole! The OP has lots of work to do before they will mount it outside

The esb won’t but a meter up outside without it being in a cabinet recessed into the wall and ducted to the bottom of the pole! The OPs service is clipped along the house then bundle wired up to the top of the pole! The OP has lots of work to do before they will mount it outside

Well obviously....
    Not talking about now.... Of course loads needs doing as has been discussed.

Well obviously....
    Not talking about now.... Of course loads needs doing as has been discussed.
    Esb then need to pull new cables into new cabinet and run them up pole!
    All I’m saying that simple getting them to hang a day and night meter will not get them to do that free of charge!

Esb then need to pull new cables into new cabinet and run them up pole!
    All I’m saying that simple getting them to hang a day and night meter will not get them to do that free of charge!

Look I get that but I've seen things done well outside what the plan was and no issues....

Some can be lucky.

• Advertisement

Look I get that but I've seen things done well outside what the plan was and no issues....

Some can be lucky.
    Maybe, but it’s never gonna happen for this guy

Advertisement