Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB incomer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

TheBully wrote: »
    Maybe, but it’s never gonna happen for this guy

How do you know?

The area office are going to call to review. You're probably right, but stranger things have happened. There could be a transformer on a nearby pole that they're due to change and they might say, you know what we'll role it all in to one job as long as customer fulfils their obligations.
    You're probably right, but I wouldn't say it's a done deal.

Likely need for a duct to pole is probably biggest issue for OP, as well as house rewire need for new very.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

How do you know?

The area office are going to call to review. You're probably right, but stranger things have happened. There could be a transformer on a nearby pole that they're due to change and they might say, you know what we'll role it all in to one job as long as customer fulfils their obligations.
    You're probably right, but I wouldn't say it's a done deal.

Likely need for a duct to pole is probably biggest issue for OP, as well as house rewire need for new very.
    For a start they won’t change a transformer unless it’s blown or else extra capacity is needed from the traffo ie. new houses! esb will only relocate meter for a charge!
    It sounds to me though that the OP will not be putting a cabinet outside though due to work involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

For a start they won’t change a transformer unless it’s blown or else extra capacity is needed from the traffo ie. new houses! esb will only relocate meter for a charge!
    It sounds to me though that the OP will not be putting a cabinet outside though due to work involved!

I worked with ESB before, I've seen backs scratched on both sides.

I wouldn't expect then to do it for free, I'd still definitely be having a conversation and seeing what story is.

I worked with ESB before, I've seen backs scratched on both sides.

I wouldn't expect then to do it for free, I'd still definitely be having a conversation and seeing what story is.

They might clip a new service and tidy it up for free in the upcoming smart meter rollout! But that’s about it, they don’t mind meter being inside if it’s read annually or has a smart meter installed! If the OP is willing to to the prep work to move meter they will charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

I've been involved with meter relocations several times. The ESB have never in my experience moved meters for free and will not move them without a cert from a REC. They will allow there cable to run on surface down the outside of the house into either a recessed cabinet or a surface cabinet. If a REC is completing a test for a meter relocation they only need to test the board and one fixed appliance in the dwelling. If the house passed an insulation resistance test, has a good earth reading to the cooker for example, has RCBO for the shower and correct bonding in hot press plus earth bar then a cert for relocation can be issued. The house may not need rewire for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Thanks for all the reply’s, the house is absolutely going to be rewired.

Just so I’m clear, does the rewire need to happen before moving the esb incomer? Surely then you are left with no connection to esb so how do you certify?

Just so I’m clear, does the rewire need to happen before moving the esb incomer? Surely then you are left with no connection to esb so how do you certify?

Rewire would happen before the meters are moved you would have a temporary connection from the existing meters until they are moved best bet is get your REC out and they will explain the steps.

You don’t need to have an esb connection to certify, your REC will do his checks dead, earth fault loop, insulation resistance etc!
    He esb will more than likely move it before you start your rewire if you chat to the area office but they won’t re connect up without a cert! But my advice is rewire, have your electrician run his new tails out to the new cabinet that you have mounted! Have your end done and that way esb will be in and out in one day otherwise you will be left with no supply on site for duration of works

All makes sense, appreciate the input folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Esb won’t come out and do anything just because it looks bad, that’s the way it was ran back in the day and that’s the way every older terraced house in the country is still fed! If you want to reposition the meter outside, you will have to mount a box in the wall, and provide a red duct from the bottom right corner of that box to the bottom of your pole! Esb will request a cert from your electrician who prob won’t very the house, my advise is get house rewired, if you intend on putting meter cabinet outside then do that during the rewire and get your Rec to run his cables out to it! if you cannot put cabinet outside, the meter must wait up inside as is but you still need to rewire house!
    But ESB will not do anything here FOC
    Wrong. Duct for ESB must enter in bottom LEFT corner.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Wrong. Duct for ESB must enter in bottom LEFT corner.

Apologies, you are correct! It’s the bottom left! Jeez

Will they clip down the wall and enter in the top of the cabinet is surface mount?

Running a duct will mean digging up the driveway

Will they clip down the wall and enter in the top of the cabinet is surface mount?

The only way they will mount a meter outside is if it’s ducted, they will not go in any other way

Also cabinet cannot be surface mounted, will have to be recessed into wall! If I was you I’d just leave it in the house by sounds of it!!

The only way they will mount a meter outside is if it’s ducted, they will not go in any other way

They will run down the wall on surface in existing installations where the cable is already on surface but will only enter on the bottom of the meter cabinet.

Also cabinet cannot be surface mounted, will have to be recessed into wall! If I was you I’d just leave it in the house by sounds of it!!

Cabinets can be surface mounted where necessary have to use a cabinet rated to IP54 or higher not 100% on the ip rating but definitely can be surface mounted if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Esbn will accept a suitable, surface mounted cabinet outside with a gland into the side of the box(near the top corner,if cable is clipped down the wall)

Ehp beat me to it(too slow typing)

meercat wrote: »
    Esbn will accept a suitable, surface mounted cabinet outside with a gland into the side of the box(near the top corner,if cable is clipped down the wall)

Ehp beat me to it(too slow typing)

Esb will only accept that if the house does not have a cavity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Not to hijack the Ops thread but similar situation with a family member who has an overhead main line running In above a garage door like the OPs, then into the garage where the consumer unit and meter are. They want the main cable moved about 6 inches up as they plan on changing the garage doors, but with the main coming in the top of the frame it might not be possible as ia/dangerous pulling out the old frame and fitting new where the wire is located.

The house was recently rewired and they contacted esb to come out to install a new meter and tails, but the rep on the phone just said whoever called would take a look at the wire coming in.

I think the charge for the tails and meter from esb was €200, but to do what they want would a whole new run of cable have to come from the pole, then to the house, down the wall and in a hole slightly higher or are esb able to reuse the cable in situ which might cut down on the cost ?

You can see the cable coming down in the first pic, clipped to the wall.

If we were to surface mount the cabinet nearer the front of the house they would need to extend or run a new cable from the pole and clip it down the wall id imagine

• Advertisement
Advertisement