Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split From my Partner, cant afford to continue to pay mortgage and rent. Looking for

Options
  • 23-08-2019 6:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi

Just looking for ideas and hopefully speak to someone in the same situation.

Myself and my partner split up. We have a jointly owned home and a child.

I want to continue to pay the mortgage to keep a roof over my childs head until he is 18-22 and then probably sell the home.

Problem is its so difficult to rent and going to find it extremely difficult to rent and pay the mortgage.

Id be interested in peoples opinions and any options or ideas they might have.

Im not sure if HAP is an option but maybe im wrong.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Can't get hap if you own a property. could you move back in with parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Could the house be divided physically, that way both you and your ex-partner get to stay in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

Going through something very similar! Really stuck between a rock and a hard place! If the child is young I would say that your only real choice is to sell the house and agree maintenance with your ex. In our case, our son is older and we are trying to live together in the same house until he finishes his education and then sell but it’s not for the feint hearted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

What contribution towards the mortgage is your ex-partner making? The clue is in the "joint mortgage". You both have a responsibility towards keeping a roof over your child's head, and the maximum you should be contributing is 50%, but unless you are in very well paid employment, its really not sustainable long term.

If there is equity in the home, or if either of you can remortgage to buy the other out, look for it to be sold now. Don't hold onto a particular house for young children. Children move house all the time, they'll adjust.

No way should you be forced to go back to live in your parent's home. (Would they even want you there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Almost impossible to do, when I separated from my first husband he brought me out more or less, very much on the less side but on balance I knew it was the best thing to do.

In end, it might be better to sell and use any residue for both of you to use as a deposit for new mortgages and the quicker you do it the better as you will both be on an even footing then which will save you from all kinds of issue.

How come you ex-partner is not working and paying half the mortgage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭donegal_man

If you want to hold onto the house perhaps you and your ex would consider renting it. This is what we did when my wife and I separated, the rent is paid into a joint account which both of us have to sign for any withdrawals from. That said ours was an amicable split so probably not suitable for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you want to hold onto the house perhaps you and your ex would consider renting it. This is what we did when my wife and I separated, the rent is paid into a joint account which both of us have to sign for any withdrawals from. That said ours was an amicable split so probably not suitable for everyone.

Tax has to be paid from that and also both partners have to rent so theta really no benefit.

Reality is in the ops position that either they both stay in the house living separate lives or both work and contribute talent to the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can go to cross care or focus for advice .

http://crosscare.ie/
    i doubt if you could get hap ,
    while paying half a mortgage on the house.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

Maybe you could rent a room .
    in a private house where the owner lives .
    or your husband rents a room,
    up to 14k theres no tax on the rental income .
    And then use the money to help you pay rent for your own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

A lot of couples despite splitting up had to live in the same house out of necessity, could you sell it now and perhaps buy 2 smaller houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Tax has to be paid from that and also both partners have to rent so theta really no benefit...

As I said, it worked for my ex and I probably wouldn't work for many others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you rent a room ,theres no tax to be paid ,on the first 14k of revenue.
    The rent has to be declared to the revenue ,
    even if its say 13,900 euros per year .
    See the link i posted on revenue.ie.
    Then you just use the 14k to pay the rent on a flat,
    i,m assuming you have good relations with your husband ..
    it enables you to afford to pay the mortgage and rent a room
    where you have your own privacy,
    eg you no longer wish to live with your husband .

Advertisement