Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skoda octavia bike rack

Options
  • 23-08-2019 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

Anyone using a bike rack on a skoda octavia? Have used tow bar ones before but none on this car and not sure how long I will hold onto it so not mad on putting one on it. Have seen seasucker and roof car ones but if I could get something cheap that would do the job it would be good. Few sites I've seen said the normal strap ones with legs don't work on the octavia with the size of the back window.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have an octavia, the only option i was given (and didn't go for it) was one where the straps attach to two foam cylinders held inside the car - as the frame the rear windscreen is bonded to doesn't run around the outside of the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Yep that's what I've found online alright, may end up just going the towbar route, already have a rack for one. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have Superb and we used one of flimsy racks we used with previous car. If you don't mind a lot of hassle, use cable ties and acquire couple of dints, I would use something else. But it can be done. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

i have an octavia, the only option i was given (and didn't go for it) was one where the straps attach to two foam cylinders held inside the car - as the frame the rear windscreen is bonded to doesn't run around the outside of the glass.

I use a halfords one with with plastic cylinders on my Octavia when I really have to , and it works OK. I personally never really feel massively comfortable with the whole set up though, and it's a pain in the ass messing around with straps.

If the option is there to get the towbar fitted I'd be much more inclined to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got one in CycleSuperstore a few years ago for an Octavia. Two straps on top of the boot lid, two on the bottom under the bumper and one on each side of the boot lid beside the lights. Foam cylinders at contact points to protect the car. Would hold 2-3 bikes.

If I remember correctly it kept the bulk of the bikes above the reg/lights so no issues with that. Was about €100 or so.

Very finicky though, I'd personally just dump the bike in the boot, by the time you strap the thing to the car and everything.

• Advertisement

I recall looking a while back for one myself for an Octavia. I think this was the one I almost pulled the trigger on but didn't as I couldn't find any pictures or videos of one actually on an Octavia. Maybe the same one you mentioned DaveyDave?

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/bike-racks-rear-door-mounted/Skoda/Skoda-Octavia/OCTAVIA-Combi-2012-Onwards/products/150362-11196/venezia-3-bike-bicycle-rear-mounted-carrier-rack-for-skoda-octavia-combi-2012-17

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

This was something along the lines of the one I had. It was by Hollywood Racks (just noticed that name now...)

I know that's a saloon but it fit the Octavia in a similar sense. It was a hatchback rack but for an Octavia style boot, it sat similar to below but a slightly higher angle meaning lights were visible.

Ended up losing one or two of the straps and it was quicker just to drop the seat and remove a wheel!

03426.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I opted to get a tow bar fitted to our Octavia for use with a tow bar mounted carrier. Went with a 2 bike carrier- Diamant Pro User. Just back from a two week holiday in West Clare and found it great for transporting our two bikes down there and around some of the wild atlantic way. It's a good quality carrier and gives confidence in transporting bikes, regardless of road conditions. Bit of an expensive investment if your car isn't already fitted with a tow bar but the high initial cost is soon forgotten when you're out enjoying your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I have a Thule bike rack. Put a tow bar on my Octavia. Well worth it. Saves so much time compared to other options and can lock the bikes very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers folks, yep looks like what I thought alright, tow bar would be the best option. have a tow bar rack from my old car so only need the tow bar itself. Would normally put the bike in the car, but 2 dogs and all the stuff that goes with them is making space tighter in the car.

Advertisement