Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ipad for school use?

Options
  • 23-08-2019 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Ok so my son starts back in school (3rd year) next week and he has the option of using a tablet (Apple or Windows) in lieu of his printed text books. The primary reason being he has scoliosis and his GP (and consultant) felt the weight of the schoolbag was causing his scoliosis to worsen over time.
    Was wondering if anyone here has used an ipad for school use and if so what size was most suitable, standard iPad or is there any benefit going for the iPad Air (slightly larger display nd assuming a slightly better CPU?).
    Not too familiar with the new CPUs in use A12 vs A10. SO some advice would be a help.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Our local school had iPad Air 2s and iPad Pro,(which believe it or not is older than the ones that are for sale now), it had the A8 and A9 I think and was the same size as the current iPad.

I would say the current iPad is OK for school, and given its €200 cheaper hard to justice for just school going up to the iPad Air. The A10 in it should be plenty for any task they need.

Now if I was your son I prob would be pushing for the iPad Air with a slight bigger screen and faster chip, would be much nicer playing fortnite or something on it. I would also probably be saying the iPad Air is 13 grams lighter so think of my back ��

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Thanks brav,
    Well its been made clear to him the iPad is for solely for school, no gaming (he has a Nintendo switch for his gaming needs anyway :) ).
    Did you fond many publishers produced books for the iPad. I know Folens have the Hive app which seems to give the option of downloading ebook versions of the textbooks, just not so much info on other publishers.

Regards,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

For us, everyone in the class had one so possibly only books that were available were picked, don't know about that sorry.

They were sued for books, but also some classed had some specific apps they used in there ones for science etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I am a postgrad student going basically paperless and I got myself the regular iPad (with pencil support) and it's perfect. It's the best balance of cost effectiveness and functionality for college. With the pencil I can also take all my class notes digitally, so no notebooks needed, and all my notes appear on my computer synced through the cloud, backed up so I can't loose them. It's well worth the extra money.

I can't help about the textbooks, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Went with the current iPad in the end (6th Gen, I think). and he seems happy out with it. Quite a few of the books he already has have codes printed inside the cover so you could download the e-book version. Folens and Edco seemed to have the best support for this with their own dedicated apps available to download, redeem the codes within the app and it pulls the ebook version down.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement
Advertisement