Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland one of 6 countries which has agreed to take migrants from Med ship

Options
  • 23-08-2019 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

We are one of only 6 countries, despite a housing and homeless crisis, which has agreed to take in these migrants.

Worth nothing that all but 9 of the 356 are men.

Sets a dangerous precedent and I'm sure we will now start to see many more of these boats.

Obviously comes at a time when our housing and homeless levels are at a point beyond critical and yet we willingly accept more unskilled people into the country who will have to be supported by the taxpayer. I imagine the next step for them involves bringing the remainder of their families over.

Pretty outrageous to be honest. Though I imagine it won't take long for comments about racism to arrive. Not being able to house the people you already have in the country and taking in more people knowing that is absurd.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-migrants-ocean-viking-4779483-Aug2019/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So we ignore refugees in camps in Turkey and take illegal migrants plucked from boats ? Great , that willsurely stop the boats in the Med and the trafficers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think it's good news and shows that we're a compassionate nation.

Going on about he "Housing and homeless crisis" as a reason to stop doing everything else is ridiculous as those problems exist for various reasons such as social problems and will always be there and does not mean that our humanitarian programmes should stop.

Do you not ask why the people who cannot be housed do not have a house in the first place?
    It's a lot more complicated than just money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

We have too much diversity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

murpho999 wrote: »

Going on about he "Housing and homeless crisis" as a reason to stop doing everything else is ridiculous as those problems exist for various reasons such as social problems and will always be there and does not mean that our humanitarian programmes should stop.

Do you not ask why the people who cannot be housed do not have a house in the first place?

Many existing asylum seekers are being accommodated in hotels at the expense of the taxpayer.

Clearly the natural progression from that was to bring more in.

If you want to get into how the government has failed to build adequate social housing, and instead inflated rental prices through Hap, causing people who would typically be able to rent to no longer be able to afford it, then that's probably another conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

murpho999 wrote: »

first of all the housing crisis relating to social issues is normal...it's the same all over the world, there are a large number that can never be housed, the bigger and more important housing crisis in ireland is the fact that people with jobs can't afford to buy or rent a house.....

that withstanding no issue housing refugees as long as every country chips in..and the root cause of people jumping in the Med is fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Something as serious as this should have been put to the people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

I love the dry wit and sarcasm here on a Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Rufeo wrote: »
    We have too much diversity.

Can't get enough of them myself. Crackin' dancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

first of all the housing crisis relating to social issues is normal...it's the same all over the world, there are a large number that can never be housed, the bigger and more important housing crisis in ireland is the fact that people with jobs can't afford to buy or rent a house.....

that withstanding no issue housing refugees as long as every country chips in..and the root cause of people jumping in the Med is fixed

The root cause of that is poverty and war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Give me 10 Sudan lads who want to work for a better life, than 1 Margaret Cash type.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Sudan, Ivory coast, Mali, Senegal...are there currently wars in these countries? (Genuine question).

It's mind boggling that these ships go searching for these people off the African coast and then bring them hundreds of miles to Europe. How is that not going to encourage hundreds of thousands more from attempting the same journey? Where do you draw the line? They cant all come here, Africa is a gargantuan continent. And then these cowboys running the "charity" ships have the cheek to have a go at Europe for not being quicker in accepting thousands of undocumented unknown people!! Don't even have to pretend they are refugees anymore, "migrant" will do just fine.

All young men too, Christ almighty, i can't believe that as of yet nobody has put a stop to this, it can only end in tears surely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Libya is a stinking criminal hellhole and causes far more hardship for the majority of these migrants than their home countries.

By rewarding those passing through with acceptance in European countries it only enforces the belief that transiting through Libya is a viable option for migrants and encourages even more to attempt to reach Europe.

Europe has utterly failed to deal with this properly, there needs to be a quick process to repatriate the vast majority who are economic migrants, once word spreads that reaching Europe only buys you a one way ticket back to where you came from minus whatever money, body parts and sexual favours the Libyan scum take from you the flood will soon dry up.

Europe CANNOT house the entire populations of various impoverished, corrupt African states, the idea that we are callous monsters by not allowing those who illegally enter to stay is nonsense. It solves nothing in the wider picture, causes increasing issues here and only enriches the vast network of murdering, raping people smugglers in North Africa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Already a current affairs thread on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Why not settle them in North Africa? Half the native young male North African population is now in Europe. These countries need more young men.
    North Africans hate sub Saharan Africans. They are a different race and culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

We should send the Sudan lads to the North. The South is for the South Sudanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

It's too late, they'll keep arriving every few months. Our small towns will be full of 3rd world chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I do not give a shíte if they were stranded in the ocean. They should have been left there or returned to Africa, one or the other. They are going to add absolutely nothing to Irish society or to Europe in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

they won't be anywhere near Simon Coveney's house or children, you may be certain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Did the crew that rescued them offer to let any of them stay in their houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Can't get enough of them myself. Crackin' dancers.

They are and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

No. Only really serious matters like the minimum age of the president should be put before the people.

This importation of unskilled dependent fighting-age males via an endless sequence of 'rescue' boats from a population-doubling continent with oil and diamonds is a trifling matter. Only racists get excited about it. If you don't let them in - it can only mean you must have an issue with their skintone.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

This is why the Brits voted for Brexit.

Being part of the EU means sharing the problems of the entire EU.
    Spain, France and Italy are baring the brunt of the mass migration of Africans into Europe. Something that will absolutely only get worse with climate change.

So they're spreading the burden across the EU countries.
    This is only the first wave.

If climate change really does hit, you'll see massive migration of people from the equator to more Northern and Southern regions, away from the hottest equatorial countries.

Look at the British TV adverts, practically every one of them is showing a happy mixed race couple. Whether that is lazy marketing, trying to target two different market segments at once, or some more subtle approach to bombard the population with happy images of perfect racial integration.

But... it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

All engineers and doctors?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Did the crew that rescued them offer to let any of them stay in their houses?

LOL. Im always amused by the standard of post in these threads. Imagine if that was how things worked. You rescue someone from potentially drowning a sea, so now they live with you. Same when fire brigade rescues someone, they go live with the fire brigade members.

LOL.

LOL. Im always amused by the standard of post in these threads. Imagine if that was how things worked. You rescue someone from potentially drowning a sea, so now they live with you. Same when fire brigade rescues someone, they go live with the fire brigade members.

LOL.

Well maybe you need a little more education of the world outside of Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

In China, only in 1 August 2013, was the "Good Samaritan Law" passed which protected people from being sued for trying to help someone.
    Before that, you could be liable for injury or death when attempting to help someone.

Before that, people were run over on the road and passers-by were too afraid of stopping to help them... people were left on roads and run over a second time, fatalities etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

You rescue someone from potentially drowning a sea, so now they live with you.
    In the ignorant unsophisticated days of old, you brought them back to their own house.

But today...new game in town. Gee thanks MSF - where is your bucket so I can donate:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well maybe you need a little more education of the world outside of Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

In China, only in 1 August 2013, was the "Good Samaritan Law" passed which protected people from being sued for trying to help someone.
    Before that, you could be liable for injury or death when attempting to help someone.

Before that, people were too afraid of stopping to help people... people were left on roads and people passed them by etc...

That's interesting. But us it in any way related to what I said in my post?

• Advertisement

That's interesting. But us it in any way related to what I said in my post?

Well, you laughed at the standard of the posts here, but don't understand that that situation was actually very real in China only 6 years ago.
    So it shows you've only a very limited and local understanding of the world.

If you took a trip to China in 2010 and through some very indirect medical negligence technicality when saving someones life, ended up giving them some disability to work, you would be legally liable. The world DID work that way, well within your lifetime.

Advertisement