Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland one of 6 countries which has agreed to take migrants from Med ship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

LOL. Im always amused by the standard of post in these threads. Imagine if that was how things worked. You rescue someone from potentially drowning a sea, so now they live with you. Same when fire brigade rescues someone, they go live with the fire brigade members.

LOL.

They are not "rescuing" anyone from "potentially drowning at sea."

They are picking up - whether through naivety or part of a business deal - mostly young men who have paid someone to take them to Europe.

What sort of refugees fleeing leave all the women and children behind them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well, you laughed at the standard of the posts here, but don't understand that that situation was actually very real in China only 6 years ago.
    So it shows you've only a very limited and local understanding of the world.

If you took a trip to China in 2010 and through some very indirect medical negligence technicality when saving someones life, ended up giving them some disability to work, you would be legally liable. The world DID work that way, well within your lifetime.

It's interesting alright. But how's it related to the notion that the rescuers should have the refugees live in their home?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Is this the same group that refused to go to Spain?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think it's good news and shows that we're a compassionate nation.

Going on about he "Housing and homeless crisis" as a reason to stop doing everything else is ridiculous as those problems exist for various reasons such as social problems and will always be there and does not mean that our humanitarian programmes should stop.

Do you not ask why the people who cannot be housed do not have a house in the first place?
    It's a lot more complicated than just money.

You are away with the fairies if you think this is a good approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well maybe you need a little more education of the world outside of Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

In China, only in 1 August 2013, was the "Good Samaritan Law" passed which protected people from being sued for trying to help someone.
    Before that, you could be liable for injury or death when attempting to help someone.

Before that, people were run over on the road and passers-by were too afraid of stopping to help them... people were left on roads and run over a second time, fatalities etc...

Well, there's an elephant in that room: what do you do when climate change wipes out habitation in equatorial regions? Europe is already seeing this as a migrant influx from Africa and the middle east; the US is seeing this as a migrant influx from Central America. What happens when its not hundreds or thousands, but hundreds of thousands or millions? Watch them all die? Integrate them all? Take drastic steps to mitigate climate change?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Give me 10 Sudan lads who want to work for a better life, than 1 Margaret Cash type.
    That's grand, and I totally understand your sentiment, but only "40% of adult African nationals in Ireland are employed, far less than the average for Irish natives or for other immigrant groups".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Overheal wrote: »
    Well, there's an elephant in that room .......
    That's a racist statement isn't it ..........
    Can't figure out what's racist anymore.

By the way, that huge bold crap under every one of your posts is ......... crap. I don't read it; it's just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Overheal wrote: »
    Well, there's an elephant in that room: what do you do when climate change wipes out habitation in equatorial regions? Europe is already seeing this as a migrant influx from Africa and the middle east; the US is seeing this as a migrant influx from Central America. What happens when its not hundreds or thousands, but hundreds of thousands or millions? Watch them all die? Integrate them all? Take drastic steps to mitigate climate change?

That's assuming that Ireland takes responsibility for the entire global climate consequences. We can't and shouldn't take in all the refugees as a consequence of all the other countries actions.

It's a suicidal action of any small country to have unconditional and unlimited liberalist governments who open the floodgates and taxpayers wallets, writing a blank cheque to help others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Kivaro wrote: »
    That's grand, and I totally understand your sentiment, but only "40% of adult African nationals in Ireland are employed, far less than the average for Irish natives or for other immigrant groups".

While I dont think we necessarily disagree with each other, thats a far better employment rate than our native ethnic minority, almost twice as good an employment rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭gw80

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think it's good news and shows that we're a compassionate nation.

Going on about he "Housing and homeless crisis" as a reason to stop doing everything else is ridiculous as those problems exist for various reasons such as social problems and will always be there and does not mean that our humanitarian programmes should stop.

Do you not ask why the people who cannot be housed do not have a house in the first place?
    It's a lot more complicated than just money.
    What is it with people like you? Do you not understand that they are going to keep coming, and there are millions of them, the countries that these people are coming from are oil and resource rich yet they cannot get there **** together to feed and make their countries somwhat livable in, their countries are ****holes not because of the mountains or the rivers or the animals that live there, its because of the people that live there,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Great, more doctors and engineers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

So we are taking a bunch of uneducated men from a war torn country who will never contribute anything to Ireland? Thanks Leo. If it were up to me they would have been left at sea to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's assuming that Ireland takes responsibility for the entire global climate consequences. We can't and shouldn't take in allthe refugees as a consequence of all the other countries actions.

It's a suicidal action of any small country to have unconditional and unlimited liberalist governments who open the floodgates and taxpayers wallets, writing a blank cheque to help others.

Do you think we're taking in all the refugees from all the countries?

The urge to exaggerate things is genuinely fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Do you think we're taking in all the refugees from all the countries?

The urge to exaggerate things is genuinely fascinating.

One is too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Mokuba wrote: »
    We are one of only 6 countries, despite a housing and homeless crisis, which has agreed to take in these migrants.

Worth nothing that all but 9 of the 356 are men.

Sets a dangerous precedent and I'm sure we will now start to see many more of these boats.

Obviously comes at a time when our housing and homeless levels are at a point beyond critical and yet we willingly accept more unskilled people into the country who will have to be supported by the taxpayer. I imagine the next step for them involves bringing the remainder of their families over.

Pretty outrageous to be honest. Though I imagine it won't take long for comments about racism to arrive. Not being able to house the people you already have in the country and taking in more people knowing that is absurd.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-migrants-ocean-viking-4779483-Aug2019/

There shouldn't be a flood of 'yer a racist' posts if the thread doesn't turn racist.

I'm not sure if Ireland should be doing this - it's sure to be a small amount but IMO it perpetuates the flotillas of people trying to access Europe from bases in the hell that is former Libya (thanks UK/France/US) rather than solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Fair play to Coveney and Varadkar all the same volunteering to take some of them in personally.

I'll look forward to getting an update from them about how they've integrated well into their area/homes. Will make sure to follow-up with them.

Georgian Villas in Castleknock is taking 300.

And they'll all get places in the schools there.

Rest are going to Simon's Manor in Rochestown.

I'm sick of hearing this. And its so frustrating that us Irish don't have a say in any of this. Its ludicrous actually. We pay taxes to keep these economic migrants here and yet we've no say.
    Is there nothing we can do?
    Our country is bursting at the seams in every way. We can't afford them, some mightnt want them even if we could but the reality is we just can't cope with the drain they will be on our country as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Give me 10 Sudan lads who want to work for a better life, than 1 Margaret Cash type.

Margaret Cash, useless eater that she is, is our problem. The teeming multitudes of the third world are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

What's happening in the Med and beyond is a crisis like no other of this generation. What else can be done? People are moving across the world in their droves for a second chance at life.

Hopefully what comes from their second chance will benefit us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Pretzill wrote: »
    What's happening in the Med and beyond is a crisis like no other of this generation. What else can be done? People are moving across the world in their droves for a second chance at life.

As global warming continues its inexorable trajectory, we'll see an exponential increase in migration to Europe and, eventually, within Europe by Europeans. This is just an initial trickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

That was a great idea to bomb the sh1t out of Libya alright and open the floodgates to Europe.
    Supporting headchoppers in Syria was another great idea and opened up the floodgates to Europe.

And now they want to do the same to Iran!...good old western" freedom and democracy" at work eh :rolleyes:

Pretzill wrote: »

Don't like to be a pessimist but it hasn't benefitted Italy and other countries, never mind what used to be relatively stable African and Asian ones.

It is a huge crisis and if a chap was a pessimist then you would have to imagine that things will get a lot worse. Europe has been spared the great catastrophes that came almost every generation up to the 1940s.

there is no guarantee that will last. I don't think it will, and facilitating this mass movement will only exacerbate the situation.

Why is Ireland only one of six to agree to this? Other states have their priorities right. This state has just gone from doing the bidding of the Brits to being lap dogs of Brussels and international capital intent on tearing down borders for its onw purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Georgian Villas in Castleknock is taking 300.

And they'll all get places in the schools there.

Rest are going to Simon's Manor in Rochestown.

Are we going to see a few random fires being started in these locations then?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Spain , Italy and Malta yes .

The majority wholm are young single men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

While I dont think we necessarily disagree with each other, thats a far better employment rate than our native ethnic minority, almost twice as good an employment rate!

Try three times the rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

that was the Open Arms boat.
    this is the Ocean viking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Kivaro wrote: »
    That's a racist statement isn't it ..........
    Can't figure out what's racist anymore.

By the way, that huge bold crap under every one of your posts is ......... crap. I don't read it; it's just annoying.

I don't agree with most of what you say but definitely agree on this.

Can't stand a pretentious signature. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So we are taking a bunch of uneducated men from a war torn country who will never contribute anything to Ireland? Thanks Leo. If it were up to me they would have been left at sea to die.

Pure bullsh*t.
    I have no problem taking refugees into our country, but I am totally against the govt usual approach, which is to dump them in some corner with €30 pocket money each week and forget about them.

People naturally group with similar people.
    If you want people to integrate they should be split up, with mandatory education on Irish culture and how to integrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

These People are fleeing from country's that are badly affected by climate change, and not war. They are fleeing for economic reason's mainly.

Advertisement