Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland one of 6 countries which has agreed to take migrants from Med ship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Pure bullsh*t.
    I have no problem taking refugees into our country, but I am totally against the govt usual approach, which is to dump them in some corner with €30 pocket money each week and forget about them.

People naturally group with similar people.
    If you want people to integrate they should be split up, with mandatory education on Irish culture and how to integrate.

90% of them are judged to have submitted bogus claims.

It really ought to take very little time to determine that. Detain them until processed, then deportation or allow them to have refugee rights if their claim is ratified. .

There was article in Times yesterday by Nigerian local election candidate who came here from Finland!

Mind you part of his family's being here resulted from the farcical citizenship legislation that was overturned in 2004 referendum.

Now he makes a career of lecturing the "white Irish" on our shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

One is too much

LOL.

I Think Ireland is stronger than you seen to. She has scope for compassion. She's not as brittle as you see her.

But it doesn't deal with the desire for exaggeration. A desire for things to be worse than they are to justify their fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

What's it now something like 21% of Dublin families presenting as homeless (2018) that are non-EU nationals (not born in the EU)?

Any guesses on next years figure (for year end 2019) 50%?
    Order in the tents for Phoenix Park someone, and organise one of them female only (for safety) Swedish music festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Don't understand why posters keep bringing Travellers into the conversation. They have an abysmal employment record. True. But they are Irish. They are our problem to deal with.
    Only 40% of Africans are working in Ireland. Why is this now our problem? Why are Africans bypassing many other European countries in order to get to Ireland? The answer is simple and not complicated; our welfare state, including the many billions being currently spent by tax payers on social housing, is attracting them.

About 9 months ago, RTE interviewed a number of asylum seekers on why they are seeking refuge in Ireland. An Albanian woman told the reporter that she was fleeing her boyfriend, and that is why she applied for asylum. (Hmmm).
    The reporter then asked an African asylum seeker why he was seeking asylum. His answer I will never forget: He wants Ireland to be his "second home". As in, he will have his home in Africa, but he will also get a home/house in Ireland, which will be his second home. No mention at all of the terror and torture he was trying to escape from.

People of Ireland: We are being scammed big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

What's it now something like 21% of Dublin families presenting as homeless (2018) that are non-EU nationals (not born in the EU)?

Any guesses on next years figure (for year end 2019) 50%?
    Order in the tents for Phoenix Park someone, and organise one of them female only (for safety) Swedish music festivals.

Yeah and people call on the government to build 1000s and 1000s of social houses to house everyone??

Guess what happens when there is houses for everyone?

Swear to god people in this country are thick as two planks.

• Advertisement

lola85 wrote: »
    Guess what happens when there is houses for everyone?
    Tents is what happens.

Paris at one stage had 3,000 they even installed outdoor urinals along the Seine to stop guest relieving themselves on shop doorways. Most were heading up to Calais to get a foot in Brexitland before the door closed.

This year 900 have crossed the Channel to Kent, rather a lot of Irainans (that's some walk). Boris's message just today is "we'll send you back".

The V4 countries of the EU won't touch them and as such will have close to zero illegal migration right up to 2030, and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 youzack

English being the most common second language in the world , you better Get used to EU dumping these "refugees" on Ireland now that we will be the only English speaking country in the EU.
    It will be packaged as the humanitarian thing to do , make their transition to life in the EU easier as they can speak the same language as the native Irish folk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Think about the underclass fat Irish girls who have a chance at a (temporary) sexual encounter here though. Will be thoroughly enriching for those girls.

Think about the underclass fat Irish girls who have a chance at a (temporary) sexual encounter here though. Will be thoroughly enriching for those girls.

Already happening.

We are the Hobbits of Europe.

Stupid fkn people who think that what has happened in St. Denis and Charleroi and Barcelona and Hackney and Rome will never happen here because we will sprinkle the fairy dust of hospitality and everything will be grand so it will.

The V4 countries of the EU won't touch them and as such will have close to zero illegal migration right up to 2030, and beyond.

Be very interesting to see. In reality, Ireland has little or no control over what we do, we have to follow the EU's line. The eastern states in Europe have no interest in immigration, and it appears Italy and the northern states are done with it too. If France goes further to the right, it's hard to see Europe not lurching completely towards anti-immigration tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gatling wrote: »
    Spain , Italy and Malta yes .

Yeah that’s off.

Trying to also remember Irish famine migrants didn’t all go to the nearest port either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Bonniedog wrote: »
    90% of them are judged to have submitted bogus claims.

It really ought to take very little time to determine that. Detain them until processed, then deportation or allow them to have refugee rights if their claim is ratified. .

There was article in Times yesterday by Nigerian local election candidate who came here from Finland!

Mind you part of his family's being here resulted from the farcical citizenship legislation that was overturned in 2004 referendum.

Now he makes a career of lecturing the "white Irish" on our shortcomings.
    I read that article in the Irish Times. He refers to Balbriggan, and gives a list of the various African countries of origin of the Africans who live there. It read like a mini Africa in the heart of North County Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Augme

[quote=Mokuba;111059652
    Pretty outrageous to be honest. Though I imagine it won't take long for comments about racism to arrive. Not being able to house the people you already have in the country and taking in more people knowing that is absurd.[/quote]

I find it far more outrageous that our current our spending millions of euro to stop us receiving €14bn in tax we are owed. Yet no one seems to care about that. €14bn might help built a few houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Augme

Mokuba wrote: »
    Pretty outrageous to be honest. Though I imagine it won't take long for comments about racism to arrive. Not being able to house the people you already have in the country and taking in more people knowing that is absurd.

I find it far more outrageous that our current our spending millions of euro to stop us receiving €14bn in tax we are owed. Yet no one seems to care about that. €14bn might help built a few houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think it's good news and shows that we're a compassionate nation.

Going on about he "Housing and homeless crisis" as a reason to stop doing everything else is ridiculous as those problems exist for various reasons such as social problems and will always be there and does not mean that our humanitarian programmes should stop.

Do you not ask why the people who cannot be housed do not have a house in the first place?
    It's a lot more complicated than just money.

Because rich people don’t take in refugees.

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah that’s off.

Trying to also remember Irish famine migrants didn’t all go to the nearest port either though.

There's a famine in Lagos and Nairobi is there? Or north London to be more accurate :)

I read that article in the Irish Times. He refers to Balbriggan, and gives a list of the various African countries of origin of the Africans who live there. It read like a mini Africa in the heart of North County Dublin.

And they are certainly making their mark on the local community, in fairness.

There's a famine in Lagos and Nairobi is there? Or north London to be more accurate :)

Whatever their reason for leaving. Irish would have left before the famine over British occupation for instance. Sort of detracting from the point though, that migrants pushed to leave their homeland aren’t always obligated to land next door

Augme wrote: »

It might, then Apple might leave and say goodbye to Cork. Although there would be a surplus of housing for sure. After that.

Whatever their reason for leaving. Irish would have left before the famine over British occupation for instance. Sort of detracting from the point though, that migrants pushed to leave their homeland aren’t always obligated to land next door

They are. First safe state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

archer22 wrote: »
    That was a great idea to bomb the sh1t out of Libya alright and open the floodgates to Europe.
    Supporting headchoppers in Syria was another great idea and opened up the floodgates to Europe.

And now they want to do the same to Iran!...good old western" freedom and democracy" at work eh :rolleyes:

Have to agree, why the fcuk is Europe not strongly demanding the USA takes them. They created the mess with their phony wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Most weren't fit and healthy young men who risked life and limb for food and gained very little Vs a free taxi to a nice place with with lifelong benefits and housing at very little cost to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Are we really trying to compare people arriving here today to people arriving in the vast open space of 19th century America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Augme wrote: »

Because what you have said is nonsense.

There is the laughably and ironically named Dublin Convention that begged to differ.

First safe country.

If I was fleeing say another 1798 or Famine, would my first safe country be Switzerland?

We have a candidate in the last local elections admitting that he came here from Finland.

Well, why didn't he apply for asylum there?

Finns are on same downward trajectory to social collapse as we are, so they were hardly going to fk him out.

We have a candidate in the last local elections admitting that he came here from Finland.

In France for example you have to carry photo ID at all times or could be held and questioned as to why you don't.

That isn't attractive to the lads in Calais who look towards entering the UK and the black labour market, where tax deductions from their on cash-in-hand pay doesn't really exist.

There is the laughably and ironically named Dublin Convention that begged to differ.

First safe country.

If I was fleeing say another 1798 or Famine, would my first safe country be Switzerland?

Finns are on same downward trajectory to social collapse as we are, so they were hardly going to fk him out.
    Thanks I wasn’t familiar with the Dublin Regulation. I’m reading that it’s not first safe state though, what matters is what the first EU/Regulation member state they store fingerprints at. Is this not still the case? If so, there’s no requirement eg. For Egyptians to only be admitted to Italy, being among the closest seems to be first safe state... that they apply to/enter.

First safe country.

Funny enough When reading the candidates story...he got mixed up on his way from nigeria and ended up in Finland.
    If you believe that
    Then the girlfriend came to Ireland before 2004 had the baby, who was granted irish citizenship and Funny enough he found his way to Ireland not long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Mokuba wrote: »
    We are one of only 6 countries, despite a housing and homeless crisis, which has agreed to take in these migrants.

Worth nothing that all but 9 of the 356 are men.

Sets a dangerous precedent and I'm sure we will now start to see many more of these boats.

Obviously comes at a time when our housing and homeless levels are at a point beyond critical and yet we willingly accept more unskilled people into the country who will have to be supported by the taxpayer. I imagine the next step for them involves bringing the remainder of their families over.

Pretty outrageous to be honest. Though I imagine it won't take long for comments about racism to arrive. Not being able to house the people you already have in the country and taking in more people knowing that is absurd.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-migrants-ocean-viking-4779483-Aug2019/

I’m bloody sick of it and this thing of being guilted over the famine... there’s supposed to be a homeless crisis here and 30% on the housing list are foreigners and yet they want to bring in a boat load more of scroungers, they let too many foreigners into this country, I was up at the all Ireland last Sunday and Dublin is like a slum now with nothing but blacks and Chinese and Indians all scrounging off the taxpayer, I don’t blame England one bit for voting for brexit

• Advertisement

Funny enough When reading the candidates story...he got mixed up on his way from nigeria and ended up in Finland.
    If you believe that
    Then the girlfriend came to Ireland before 2004 had the baby, who was granted irish citizenship and Funny enough he found his way to Ireland not long after.

The joke is on us, as they say.

He's no fool. Spotted exactly the sort of Pollyanna fools like Barrett and Daly and the like who have the same condescending attitude to Africans as Victorian missionaries.

No such thing as a bad 'un.

Advertisement