Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland one of 6 countries which has agreed to take migrants from Med ship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

Calls for a referendum on asylum seekers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Blueshoe wrote: »
    It's a chart showing expected economic growth by country. Now cross reference that chart with countries who take in large numbers of migrants and countries who don't.
    Strange that all of the ones who do or who have taken in large numbers are at the bottom in expected growth while those who don't take in large numbers are at the top.

Strange that they are all grouped together. All of them. Is it a coincidence or what do you think?

You won't find any European agency putting out any stats or charts that reflect migration negatively. That's a big no-no. We know which ones take in the most and we know which ones the least and we can see the economic growth predictions. Join the dots

https://www.statista.com/chart/16934/percentage-economic-growth-expected-in-eu-member-states/

I'm aware of that, have you ever heard of the term correlation does not equal causation? You're making a claim as if inward migration is the sole thing that influences an economy. A chart of economic growth levels is not proof of your claim. So I'm guessing you actually have no proof that it's the reason. Crying conspiracy because you can't prove a claim, it's just that your argument is weak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

batgoat wrote: »
    I'm aware of that, have you ever heard of the term correlation does not equal causation? You're making a claim as if inward migration is the sole thing that influences an economy. A chart of economic growth levels is not proof of your claim. So I'm guessing you actually have no proof that it's the reason.

So it's a coincidence. A European wide coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

So it's a coincidence. A European wide coincidence.

There are tonnes of factors that influence an economy. Singling out an element that you have a personal obsession with does not equal causation. Large immigration from former soviet states, good economic policies after exiting the Soviet Union. Plenty of SMEs, no taxation on those under 26 encourages spending. They also are still availing of pretty large benefits from the EU in relation to infrastructure which will likely see cuts next year.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/25/how-poland-s-golden-age-of-economic-growth-is-going-unreported-view

Now provide me with some actual sources to backup your claim? But I have a feeling that you're just wasting my time.

batgoat wrote: »
    There are tonnes of factors that influence an economy. Singling out an element that you have a personal obsession with does not equal causation. Large immigration from former soviet states, good economic policies after exiting the Soviet Union. Plenty of SMEs, no taxation on those under 26 encourages spending. They also are still availing of pretty large benefits from the EU in relation to infrastructure which will likely see cuts next year.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/25/how-poland-s-golden-age-of-economic-growth-is-going-unreported-view

Now provide me with some actual sources to backup your claim? But I have a feeling that you're just wasting my time.

Ignore the fact that the countries who take in large migrant numbers have the lowest economic growth prediction while the countries who take in the least have the highest growth prediction. "Other factors" right. Just a coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The inference being that anyone who doesn't agree with open borders for every African who floats on the Med is a white supremacist racist loon. A nasty slur aimed at many posters on this thread,.

:confused: how in the world could you believe I called anyone here a white supremacist based on the post? Where the fudge did I make such a sweeping statement? You’re not inferring you’re wildly extrapolating some horse **** right there.

If any posters here felt personally attacked when I discussed national supremacists - that’s a personal problem on their part. I have not called anyone here a national supremacist and of the people I have debated with I have been assured by most of them they don’t have a racist bone in their body so how they could feel affronted is completely beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What happens when Brexit arrives and the hard border goes up leading to a potential conflict zone 90km from Dublin?

Post Brexit EU tax harmonisation plans will be going full steam ahead and our competitive advantage will be under threat. What multinational would want to locate in a country with poor accomodation for staff and in close proximity to a conflict zone if Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam etc all have better offerings.

I'm only speculating but we are in a precarious position and may have a rough 10-20 years ahead.

Certainly we are not in a position to take in multitudes of migrants with such uncertainty. Our Government and EU colleagues should understand this. We could be stuck with people we cannot provide jobs, housing or a decent standard of living to and that will not end well.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    What happens when Brexit arrives and the hard border goes up leading to a potential conflict zone 90km from Dublin?

Post Brexit EU tax harmonisation plans will be going full steam ahead and our competitive advantage will be under threat. What multinational would want to locate in a country with poor accomodation for staff and in close proximity to a conflict zone if Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam etc all have better offerings.

I'm only speculating but we are in a precarious position and may have a rough 10-20 years ahead.

Certainly we are not in a position to take in multitudes of migrants with such uncertainty. Our Government and EU colleagues should understand this. We could be stuck with people we cannot provide jobs, housing or a decent standard of living to and that will not end well.

Our current lot will be long gone by then. Golden pension in the back pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They should be called what they are, economic migrants.

These SJW's operating a free taxi service should be banned from picking up migrants and dumping them off on countires that neither want or need people with nothing to offer.

If they want to claim asylum let them do it through the proper channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Our current lot will be long gone by then. Golden pension in the back pocket
    And living well away from the lower orders.. they only time they might come across them is when they come to clean their house like the great proponent of multiculturism and the elimination of national identity Mr Sutherland who used preach at us from his gated mansion in Marbella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Overheal wrote: »
    :confused: how in the world could you believe I called anyone here a white supremacist based on the post?

Didn't see anything with your post ,but what i will say these threads more often than not attract particular posters who are only happy when they label people as racist and it kills discussions some blantanly call people racists others use the irrational fear of people with a different skin colour ,
    It is very easy for a poster to call someone a racist without any proof and it sticks yet the person called a racist cannot disprove the claim,
    And it's not just threads involving economic migrants ,we've seen the same with trans and travellers ,and criminals gangs running amok unchallenged across Dublin and further afield , posters get labelled as racist , transphobic , anti traveller ,and so on ,
    But yet the same posters keep throwing labels around just to kill discussions they don't like .

This isn't aimed at you but generally across CA threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Gatling wrote: »
    Didn't see anything with your post ,but what will say these threads more often than not attract particular posters who are only happy when they label people as racist and it kills discussions some blantanly call people racists others use the irrational fear or people with a different skin colour ,
    It is very easy for a poster to call someone a racist without any proof and it sticks yet the person called a racist cannot disprove the claim,
    And it's not just threads involving economic migrants ,we've seen the same with trans and travellers ,and criminals gangs running amok unchallenged across Dublin and further afield , posters get labelled as racist , transphobic , anti traveller ,and so on ,
    But yet the same posters keep throwing labels around just to kill discussions they don't like .

This isn't aimed at you but generally across CA threads

100%, boards are now banning people for wrong think. It’s laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

100%, boards are now banning people for wrong think. It’s laughable.
    I don't think that is happening here.
    We need to give the admins of the new CA forum credit for giving everyone an opportunity to post their opinions, and if you are a dick, you will have to suffer the consequence. I know that the term 'dick' is subjective.

You will see infractions and cards, but that is generally because a mod/poster has complained about being abused .......... the sensitive pets .............. but you can ignore those posters in general if you wish to. A good majority of us do not report posts, but the softer posters will feel inflicted, so some type of action may be required because boards (the business) may get in trouble if they do not act.

In general, CA is working well, so kudos for those managing it.
    Apologies for going off-track.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Before deliberating whether Africans should be boated into Europe, I think we should be asking when, exactly, did the continent of Africa become part of the European free travel area?

EU leaders, as well as our own leaders, are acting without a mandate. They've gone completely rogue.

Kivaro wrote: »
    I don't think that is happening here.
    We need to give the admins of the new CA forum credit for giving everyone an opportunity to post their opinions, and if you are a dick, you will have to suffer the consequence. I know that the term 'dick' is subjective.

You will see infractions and cards, but that is generally because a mod/poster has complained about being abused .......... the sensitive pets .............. but you can ignore those posters in general if you wish to. A good majority of us do not report posts, but the softer posters will feel inflicted, so some type of action may be required because boards (the business) may get in trouble if they do not act.

In general, CA is working well, so kudos for those managing it.
    Apologies for going off-track.

YouTube banned two channels the past week with over 300k subs between them.

No warning
    No strikes

Just gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Hobosan wrote: »
    Before deliberating whether Africans should be boated into Europe, I think we should be asking when, exactly, did the continent of Africa become part of the European free travel area?

EU leaders, as well as our own leaders, are acting without a mandate. They've gone completely rogue.

That's what a lot of people who scream at the Italians, Poles and Hungarians do not realise.

They are acting on the basis that they do in fact have sovereign control over migration. The Irish political elite - of all parties - and the mass media, has sought to give the impression that either we can't control it; that it is economically necessary (which is nonsense when applied to vast majority of Asian and African migrants) or that we are under a moral obligation.

It is hardly even worth while to mention the requirement for an application to be made in the "first safe country," which Ireland by definition cannot be.

What is needed here is for someone to challenge the enforced consensus, but that is not going to happen. Aontú did try to raise question of sustainability, but Toibin also voted for a far left proposal to overturn the 2004 citizenship referendum, so not sure he has the will to pursue this in the face of the onslaught from the totalising liberals and lefties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Hobosan wrote: »

Agree, but the (stealthy) mandate may be somewhat there (in the long term) via the 'Barcelona Agreement'.

Which includes cultural exchanges/harmonisation with all those countries surronding the Med, so all the N.African despot states, and the ultimate goal of the inclusion of Turkey to the EU as the new largest member, which really will be some crap hitting whatevers left of the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Best little neo liberal State going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

No warning
    No strikes

Just gone

How do you know they got no warnings?

pinkyeye wrote: »
    How do you know they got no warnings?

They are back again. Yeah woo.

https://youtu.be/zVu9b6mcWos

Expand your thinking. From another of my fav YouTubers

• Advertisement

Salvini overthrown in a palace coup involving the courts.

New coalition includes part of the Pollyanna open borders/ports left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Where's all the other eu countries on this. Why do we keep putting our hand up.definately be interesting the stance on this when the next downturn comes and people really feel the pinch.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

A vote for Leo is a vote for migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

epo addict wrote: »
    Calls for a referendum on asylum seekers

Who is?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No warning
    No strikes

Just gone

The channels were given no warnings? I find that hard to believe somehow.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Limpy wrote: »
    A vote for Leo is a vote for migration.

The same goes for all the mainstream parties [FF,FG,SF, Labour and even PBP and AAP]

Its the National Party or kiss Ireland and Irish culture good bye.

JohnMc1 wrote: »

The same goes for all the mainstream parties [FF,FG,SF, Labour and even PBP and AAP]

Its the National Party or kiss Ireland and Irish culture good bye.

I agree with the first sentence, Not so sure about the cure.

Needs to be people coming from more mainstream. I harbour hope that maybe Aontú will grasp that nettle.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I agree with the first sentence, Not so sure about the cure.

Needs to be people coming from more mainstream. I harbour hope that maybe Aontú will grasp that nettle.

The problem for members of the mainstream parties is that they'd be dismissed as desperate vote pandering. Anybody from those parties who's against this would be on their feet and demanding we stop this already.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Salvini overthrown in a palace coup involving the courts.

New coalition includes part of the Pollyanna open borders/ports left.

Salvini is too popular in Italy. It could kick off an uprising if they tried that.

• Advertisement

In fairness, Tóibín did question whether mass immigration is sustainable.

He is also aware of the social problems including crime that comes with it. That is why others, especially the contemptible anti national Shinners, attacked him.

Will be interesting to see if he pursues this line, as it is undoubtedly popular, the main reason the 150 or so sheep in Leinster House who support it are desperate to keep it excluded from debate.

Advertisement