Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overflying DUB - Regular Occurrence?

Options
  • 23-08-2019 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

I was dropping a friend at DUB today and I noticed while walking to my car a light plane flying directly over the field. It was pretty much between T1 and T2, flying perpendicular to RWY 34.

In terms of altitude, it was definitely in controlled airspace for the tower as I could read the numbers pretty clearly. It wasn't on flight radar.

Does anyone know anything about it? I'm guessing a survey or photo OP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

ILS calibration flights?

The Coastguard helicopter will route like this from time to time if on a priority call

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

One evening I was flying in the Garristown area, just inside the northern part of the Dublin CTR. I said I was finished and wanted to route back to Weston via Dunshaughlin but the controller offered me a routing over Dublin Airport, Ballymun and along the Liffey if I wanted. I jumped at it!

He said to follow the approach to R16 and overfly the runway at 200 ft agl before climbing out over Ballymun and onwards. As I was approaching the airfield he told the Shamrocks and Ryanairs to disregard my alert if I showed up on their ACAS. This was around 7 pm on a Monday evening in summer, so I was very lucky to get such an opportunity. It was great to look down and see the taxiing aircraft passing under my wing as I zipped just above them at 105 kts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Iirc The routing is available and acceptable but just not often used for the obvious reason of a busy airspace.

During one of the American Football games a few years back 2 fighters (F15s or F16s) flew directly over the airport from a hold off Balbriggan and on to Croker.

Another routing you might some times notice is light aircraft doing is the Lambay Run north-south from Lambay and right under the most often used approach to RW28.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

tricky D wrote: »
    Iirc The routing is available and acceptable but just not often used for the obvious reason of a busy airspace.

During one of the American Football games a few years back 2 fighters (F15s or F16s) flew directly over the airport from a hold off Balbriggan and on to Croker.

Another routing you might some times notice is light aircraft doing is the Lambay Run north-south from Lambay and right under the most often used approach to RW28.
    Any idea of the name of the routing? Is it published? I dont see it on the EIDW VFR approach chart where Lambay is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Any idea of the name of the routing? Is it published? I dont see it on the EIDW VFR approach chart where Lambay is

It's called the Lambay Transit Route and is usually flown at 500 ft. It is in the VFR approach chart here

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/AD/Chart%20Files/EIDW/EI_AD_2_EIDW_24-28_en.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Although traffic was held to allow the 2 F16s to make their pass. I remember a BMI captain was a bit exasperated when he was being kept in the hold with no aircraft ahead of him.
    I didn't hear him complain after the fast jets went thru though.

It's called the Lambay Transit Route and is usually flown at 500 ft. It is in the VFR approach chart here

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/AD/Chart%20Files/EIDW/EI_AD_2_EIDW_24-28_en.pdf

Yeah I've done the Lambay transit, the routing over EIDW is not part of it though. There is no routing over EIDW on the VFR approach chart, only around it.
    Was it in previous additions and has since been removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Yeah I've done the Lambay transit, the routing over EIDW is not part of it though. There is no routing over EIDW on the VFR approach chart, only around it.
    Was it in previous additions and has since been removed?

I don't believe that he ever said Lambay routed over EIDW.

Yup, only mentioned, as an aside, as another nearby route one might not have heard of. Similar-ish but not the same.

I don't believe that he ever said Lambay routed over EIDW.

Nope, nor did I. The thread is about overfying EIDW, in the post that I quoted Tricky D mentioned that there is a routing over EIDW. Lambay was first mentioned as an aside in that post, not the subject of that post. I said in my first post that I'm aware of lambay but not of any route over EIDW.

So is there a VFR routing over EIDW?

• Advertisement

With no proper info on the matter, I would presume Dublin being a Search And Rescue base, that Visual Flight Rules are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

wasnt the flying club based in dublin airport until only recently enough? I remember seeing videos of cessna's landing in dublin airport or at least doing touch and goes within the early 2000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The DAA basically bullied the clubs out of the place, when they had decades of safe operation, as they didnt want light aircraft operating from a busy hub airport. It was routine to get a clearance to hold over the Liffey and await a gap in the traffic to get back in, but you could be a while and you had to be quick about it. These days, helicopters routinely transit North to South to go into Knocksedan.

Advertisement