Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did/are schools returning?

Options
  • 23-08-2019 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭

Hope you all enjoyed the summer.

Just wondering if any schools (second level) returned today in order to take the ling weekend in March? Our school decided against it as we believed 23rd was too early to go back. I think we’ll regret it in March!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

One year group and their class teachers went back today. Rest of us in on Monday for a meeting and school Tuesday. Not particularly fair on that one year group and the teachers. They're taking one for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

All staff and first years were back today.

I have a few school teacher friends that were back yesterday and Wednesday. We seem to go back earlier and earlier every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

We sacrificed the long weekend and are going back Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'll be doing a couple of weeks subbing to keep the old pension. The school aren't back until Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

Went back yesterday, the 22nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

A local school went back yesterday , the 21st.

Sorry the 22nd !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Pang wrote: »
    All staff and first years were back today.

I have a few school teacher friends that were back yesterday and Wednesday. We seem to go back earlier and earlier every year.

Just thinking the same earlier and earlier each year. Summer barely over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Back Monday. Wife also a 2nd level teacher, she was back yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

9 1/2 weeks left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Back yesterday.

Until?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

October midterm break

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Beaulieu

Back yesterday - 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

dory wrote: »
    One year group and their class teachers went back today. Rest of us in on Monday for a meeting and school Tuesday. Not particularly fair on that one year group and the teachers. They're taking one for the team.

That’s awful. Aren’t the ones back today pissed off?

doc_17 wrote: »
    That’s awful. Aren’t the ones back today pissed off?

Yeah probably! I don't know why but it's always been done that way. They don't teach, just games and stuff for 1st years. But it still means 5/6 teachers back a day before the rest of us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dory wrote: »
    Yeah probably! I don't know why but it's always been done that way. They don't teach, just games and stuff for 1st years. But it still means 5/6 teachers back a day before the rest of us.

Sure isn't it a vocation....

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

So we're starting Monday but my contract doesn't start til 1st of September. Not sure how this works out pay wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We went back yesterday, we voted to get two spare days off (one the day before Paddy’s day)....I voted against it, this is always the longest hardest term, I can cope with the Feb-Easter term but this one kills me, so I like to go back as late as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Back Wednesday 21rst. Way too early for me but suited the majority of the staff.

• Advertisement

So we're starting Monday but my contract doesn't start til 1st of September. Not sure how this works out pay wise

We've all been there. It's better to not get paid for this week than to get paid for the exact days you work (as in, not get paid for the summer). It'll be a fair stretch though til your first pay check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Back tomorrow and not getting the long weekend in March.

I'm the same. Had been covering a maternity leave last year, but on my own hours this year so not paid for the first week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

solerina wrote: »
    We went back yesterday, we voted to get two spare days off (one the day before Paddy’s day)....I voted against it, this is always the longest hardest term, I can cope with the Feb-Easter term but this one kills me, so I like to go back as late as possible.

We are our own worst enemy
    I’m with you
    Anyone voting to shorten our summer holidays needs their head checked

When we are back we are back. I don’t need any extra days off during the working year . But I want my summer holidays .
    I also think it is a pain in the ass for parents when random days are taken mid year .
    Also by coming back last Thursday or Friday you are not coming back one or two days early you are coming back three or four. The weekend counts too.........
    And really the whole of last week would be gone Cos you are thinking About it all week..........

Anyway we are back Tuesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I take it the schools back Wednesday were using up most of the Croke Park hours.

All Eyes On Rafah

I take it the schools back Wednesday were using up most of the Croke Park hours.

I'd imagine so too, four days is a lot to take during the year. I had always been a fan of front loading Croke Park hours, but we had an inspection last year and it was great to be able to use some planning hours for prep. Obviously plenty had to be done outside of that too but we would have really felt it if all our hours were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

It seems to be a new thing with all the mini long weekends and random cpd whole staff days arising before and after Easter. I get the sense that students and parents are getting a bit annoyed, also lump in sick days, school occasions.

I'd rather the extra week in August rather than dotting days off into the calendar. But I don't mind getting them when they happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

km79 wrote: »
    We are our own worst enemy
    I’m with you
    Anyone voting to shorten our summer holidays needs their head checked

When we are back we are back. I don’t need any extra days off during the working year . But I want my summer holidays .
    I also think it is a pain in the ass for parents when random days are taken mid year .
    Also by coming back last Thursday or Friday you are not coming back one or two days early you are coming back three or four. The weekend counts too.........
    And really the whole of last week would be gone Cos you are thinking About it all week..........

Anyway we are back Tuesday :D

I voted to come back early as I much prefer to have a few days of planning before students are in.
    I didn’t worry about it last week and I look forward to having days off in lieu during the term.

Depends on how schools utilise the days but we will have had 2-3 dept meetings and a chance to set up classroom, check equipment etc before seeing any students so in my mind it helps prep for the year ahead.

Anyone who wants to launch straight into teaching in my opinion needs their head checked.

Teach30 wrote: »
    I voted to come back early as I much prefer to have a few days of planning before students are in.
    I didn’t worry about it last week and I look forward to having days off in lieu during the term.

Depends on how schools utilise the days but we will have had 2-3 dept meetings and a chance to set up classroom, check equipment etc before seeing any students so in my mind it helps prep for the year ahead.

Anyone who wants to launch straight into teaching in my opinion needs their head checked.

I think the discretionary Croke Park hours should be utilised here. A department could agree up come in a day early, do some planning, organise their rooms, but eople who choose not to don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Teach30 wrote: »

Just wondering...you mentioned before seeing students, we had students in on Friday, only first years, but we had all bar TY in today...surely ye must have had students in for the days to count ?? Otherwise they are CP days and can’t count towards a day off later in the year...or so our P tells us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

solerina wrote: »
    Just wondering...you mentioned before seeing students, we had students in on Friday, only first years, but we had all bar TY in today...surely ye must have had students in for the days to count ?? Otherwise they are CP days and can’t count towards a day off later in the year...or so our P tells us.

Students in gradually for about 2 hours each day for admin - lockers/timetables etc but no teaching yet... all above board as we get away with nothing!

Advertisement