Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did/are schools returning?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

When did all this 2 hours here and there come from I wonder? In my day it was in on the 1st of September , full timetable from day one. We still had our year assembly , half an hour with the principal, year head and tutors. Then on to class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    When did all this 2 hours here and there come from I wonder? In my day it was in on the 1st of September , full timetable from day one. We still had our year assembly , half an hour with the principal, year head and tutors. Then on to class.

Could all depend on school size also.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Very small schools are doing this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Postgrad10 wrote: »

Not in my school, we had first years in Friday all day, rest have come back in since, all in tomorrow, teaching since Monday....having 2 hours here and there sounds like a very nice way to start...and still getting to count the days !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary here- we had a full day of CP today (28th) and the children are all in tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

I actually think it's worrying to see schools back as early as 22nd/23rd. The earliest I ever went back was 25th and this year it was Monday 26th. We had meetings and planning on 26th, 27th and then students came back on a phased basis so we won't have the full whack until next Monday. A good way to do it imo.

However I'm very much with those who argue that we must protect our summer holidays. With all the changes over the past decade and the worsening of our working conditions, one thing has remained almost unchanged and that's the summer break. Personally I prefer to come back later than have days off throughout the year and in fairness all we might get would be maybe 2 days. Not worth tinkering with the summer break for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Rumour has it that the Failed Teachers Assoc. (the Inspectorate of the Dept.) want ALL students to start back on the same day.This year many schools were back on the 22 August!!!!.Infact I experienced myself that quite a few students have not come back yet as they are on family holidays!!!!! (but who cares as long as the teachers are back)
    The major problem in Ireland is that we cannot seem to take a mid term after 6 weeks like they do in other countries. We seem to have to work til the Hallowee'eeN break which used to be about 7 weeks from the start of the school year ,it is now nearing 10-11 weeks away from the start of the school year!
    Teaching is in a HUGE mess and the Unions are standing idly by doing sweet f.a.
    There is a need for a complete audit of all second level education providers in Ireland as there are great inequalities on how teacher are treated but do not hold your breath!

ethical wrote: »
    Rumour has it that the Failed Teachers Assoc. (the Inspectorate of the Dept.) want ALL students to start back on the same day.

Yes I heard exactly that and it's worrying as it's yet another worsening of the working conditions by stealth.

But what teachers have to do here is badger the unions about it en masse. But will they?? Grand to say unions are useless, everyone is useless if not kept on their toes. No point in just moaning about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

ethical wrote: »
    Rumour has it that the Failed Teachers Assoc. (the Inspectorate of the Dept.) want ALL students to start back on the same day.
    Do you mean they want:
    every student in X school start back on the same date or
    they want every school in the country back on the same date, like standardised school year?

Do you mean they want:
    every student in X school start back on the same date or
    they want every school in the country back on the same date, like standardised school year?

I think ehtical means they want all students in each school to start back at the same time. Probably pandering to parents. But whatever the reason, it would be horrendous on teachers. Full day meetings as early as 21st or 22nd and then hit the ground running with a full timetable from the off. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement