Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP David Koch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

KyussB wrote: »
    It's not a game of football, or a gentlemanly competition where each 'side' is mutually respectable.

In America, that's all it is. Simple "politics" for stupid people.

Anything more complicated and they change the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

notobtuse wrote: »
    Here’s the difference between the Right and Left in the US. The Left has wallowed in ghoulish glee over the death of David Koch. At the same time we hear liberal heroine Ruth Bader Ginsberg (Notorious RBG) was just treated for pancreatic cancer yet again. It’s apparent her time with us is short. Her constitutional decisions consisted of disregarding what she dislikes that’s in the Bill of Rights, making up stuff that’s not in it, and makes rulings based on what she feels should be in it. She’s a terrible justice and we on the Right would love to see her step down. But we’ll express no delight when her passing eventually happens, and instead express a grudging respect for Ginsburg as a worthy opponent and as one tough cookie. That’s what being classy is all about.

I have no problem saying all the same things about Antonin Scalia: he was a selective "originalist" who did tremendous damage to American democracy by opening it up to overt bribery. But he was a formidable scholar and opponent, no question. That's not comparable to David Koch.

David Koch endangered the future of humanity to a greater extent than nearly anyone in human history. It is literally no exaggeration to say that he may have hastened our extinction, and he definitely has created a situation where quality of life on Earth in the short term will be catastrophically disimproved for everyone. But we are still being lectured on the principles of decency for not being respectful enough to someone who literally pursued an agenda that would, if followed, destroy us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I have no problem saying all the same things about Antonin Scalia: he was a selective "originalist" who did tremendous damage to American democracy by opening it up to overt bribery. But he was a formidable scholar and opponent, no question. That's not comparable to David Koch.

David Koch endangered the future of humanity to a greater extent than nearly anyone in human history. It is literally no exaggeration to say that he may have hastened our extinction, and he definitely has created a situation where quality of life on Earth in the short term will be catastrophically disimproved for everyone. But we are still being lectured on the principles of decency for not being respectful enough to someone who literally pursued an agenda that would, if followed, destroy us all.
    I googled David Koch endangered the future of humanity, David Koch hastened our extinction, and David Koch created a situation where quality of life on Earth will be catastrophically disimproved for everyone. No results came back. Are you making this stuff up?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Here’s the difference between the Right and Left in the US. The Left has wallowed in ghoulish glee over the death of David Koch. At the same time we hear liberal heroine Ruth Bader Ginsberg (Notorious RBG) was just treated for pancreatic cancer yet again. It’s apparent her time with us is short. Her constitutional decisions consisted of disregarding what she dislikes that’s in the Bill of Rights, making up stuff that’s not in it, and makes rulings based on what she feels should be in it. She’s a terrible justice and we on the Right would love to see her step down. But we’ll express no delight when her passing eventually happens, and instead express a grudging respect for Ginsburg as a worthy opponent and as one tough cookie. That’s what being classy is all about.
    Bull****. The way the right pissed on the grave of John McCain is forewarning enough, there will be dancing in the street when RBG is gone and you don’t need to travel through too many conversations about her before you find people already fantasizing about her mortal demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I googled David Koch endangered the future of humanity, David Koch hastened our extinction, and David Koch created a situation where quality of life on Earth will be catastrophically disimproved for everyone. No results came back. Are you making this stuff up?

He ignored regulations regarding the limits of toxic waste his companies produced on a consistent basis and lobbied to reduce the limits on pollution, among many other things.

The other posters are being vague and hyperbolic for reasons I don't need to explain to you, but the man was a real piece of work all the same.

• Advertisement

Try David Koch role in the rise of anti scientific climate denial

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Here’s the difference between the Right and Left in the US. The Left has wallowed in ghoulish glee over the death of David Koch.

Something something tar, brush, black, white.

I curious... Is vile and obnoxious celebrations of the death of a US private individual who has unquestionably done good some things only tolerated when it involves a individual who donates to conservative and republican causes? Or is celebrating the death of anyone now fair game?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

I curious... Is vile and obnoxious celebrations of the death of a US private individual who has unquestionably done good some things only tolerated when it involves a individual who donates to conservative and republican causes? Or is celebrating the death of anyone now fair game?
    It's America, you're free to say whatever you want about whoever you want. I thought you right wingers liked freedom of speech. God knows ye go on about it enough.

:rolleyes:

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/26/18759973/trump-faith-freedom-coalition-mccain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

You would need a heart of stone not to laugh

It's America, you're free to say whatever you want about whoever you want. I thought you right wingers liked freedom of speech. God knows ye go on about it enough.
    That is correct. Just seeing if a precedence how now been set, here, for future passings.

That is correct. Just seeing if a precedence how now been set, here, for future passings.
    No, the first amendment is pretty old.

But just out of interest, what has been said about him that isn't correct?

And why is saying mean things about a guy a bigger problem, to you, than doing terrible things your whole life? Why are these mean, correct, inconsequential things, worse than the lifetime of lies and disinformation he spread, at huge cost to us all? You don't seem bothered about what he actually said or did, just little old us. Almost seems like yet another misdirection technique, like the George Soros one earlier...

And why is saying mean things about a guy a bigger problem, to you, than doing terrible things your whole life? Why are these mean, correct, inconsequential things, worse than the lifetime of lies and disinformation he spread, at huge cost to us all? You don't seem bothered about what he actually said or did, just little old us. Almost seems like yet another misdirection technique, like the George Soros one earlier...
    The US First Amendment isn't honored here at boards. But precedence does carry some weight.

Oh, yeah, forgot... The point I'm making is hateful, abusive, vulgar and obscene comments seem to be allowed if it's against a person the majority leftist here despise. And what is good for the goose should be good for the gander, correct?

Feedback is over that way ->

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

And what is good for the goose should be good for the gander, correct?

Exactly :)

The US First Amendment isn't honored here at boards. But precedence does carry some weight.

Oh, yeah, forgot... The point I'm making is hateful, abusive, vulgar and obscene comments seem to be allowed if it's against a person the majority leftist here despise. And what is good for the goose should be good for the gander, correct?
    Sure whatever blows your hair back. I notice you answered precisely none of my questions, or my contention that this little moral crusade of yours on behalf of saint David is just misdirection.

But sure I suppose if you addressed them, it wouldn't be misdirection anymore. Carry on chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Ireland is a country whose president practically wept upon hearing the news of Fidel Castro's death, expressing his "great sadness" and hailing the late dictator as a "giant among global leaders." The Lord Mayor of Dublin opened a book of condolence at the Mansion House to allow Dubliners to "pay their respects."

Say what you like about the Kochs, but they haven't executed thousands of their political opponents by firing squad and driven their country into unspeakable poverty. If had only wreaked murderous havoc in the service of left-wing ideology, President Higgins would be leading the populace in grief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ironically enough, people like the Koch Brothers, Soros and AOC are all on the one page when it comes to opening up migration and opposing Trump's Wall and Ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ireland is a country whose president practically wept upon hearing the news of Fidel Castro's death, expressing his "great sadness" and hailing the late dictator as a "giant among global leaders." The Lord Mayor of Dublin opened a book of condolence at the Mansion House to allow Dubliners to "pay their respects."

Say what you like about the Kochs, but they haven't executed thousands of their political opponents by firing squad and driven their country into unspeakable poverty. If had only wreaked murderous havoc in the service of left-wing ideology, President Higgins would be leading the populace in grief.

So it all cancels out. Grand so :rolleyes:

Koch was a dictator of a country? I’m lost as to how your post relates meaningfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Danzy wrote: »
    Ironically enough, people like the Koch Brothers, Soros and AOC are all on the one page when it comes to opening up migration and opposing Trump's Wall and Ice.

Most humans are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

NoteAgent wrote: »
    How do you suppose the people who take the risk in setting up a business are rewarded for employing people (who dont take any risk)?

Looks to me that he was an exceptional business man. He was obviously a c*nt for his political donations but do you feel the same about business people in general?

The Koch brothers inherited their businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Fidel Castro saved millions of Cuban lives. Fidel Castro is a hero of world history.

Danzy wrote: »

Why is that ironic? The Kochs are libertarians, who tend to share positions with the left on many issues—including immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Most humans are.

So most humans have a position on migration that is far to the right economically of most of the US Republican Party or US Libertarian party?

Hard to believe.

The Koch brothers inherited their businesses.

They inherited a company worth $21 million and built it up into an enterprise worth over $100 billion today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why is that ironic? The Kochs are libertarians, who tend to share positions with the left on many issues—including immigration.

The so called "Libertarians" in the US are only interested in the exploitation of others for their own gain. They're right wing anarcho capitalists.

They may "share" some basic ideas that the left cling to, but only ostensibly.

Their motives are very different.

Advertisement