Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Deal Scheme

• 23-08-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have read many posts and threads on here and I'm still very confused over the Fair deal scheme. I currently live with my elderly parent, I have live in the house all my life with said parent, but it's getting to the stage that I cannot look after the him so he has to go into a home.

1. I've read that the HSE will not take more than the cost of care off an individual. If this is true - what advantages is there for not going down the fair deal route?

2. If you go down the fair deal route, and say a parent has 400k for instance in savings as well as their own private residence (lets say worth 800k), am I right in saying the following happens?

Year 1: 400k*7.5% = 30k +800k*7.5% = 90k this is owed after year 1. What happens though when cost of care is only 60k - as per question 1? Does the HSE only take 60k, or can they take the 90k to help fund my father's care should be live more than 3 years.

Year 2: Does the HSE then apply 7.5% to 370k, regardless of whether the parent has 370k in their account? or do they apply 7.5% to whatever the parent has? For instance, the parent has told me to look after the house, so if house needs a new roof, or I wish to decorate the house, or whatever and I spend their money on their house, what can the HSE look for?

Basically I am in a position, of being unable to obtain a mortgage, but have a house that I can inherit when the time comes.

Going a step further with the above example as a "just in theory", had my parent, sold his house, and bought a mansion with the other 400k, so say house worth 1.2m, the HSE would only get to take 1.2m*7.5% = 90k for 3 years, so 270k in total. But going back to point 1, if the cost of care is only say 60k, how much do they actually take, would they only be taking 180k as capped at 3 years, or is it the total amount that is capped, i.e. not more than 270k

I know the above many be specific and I should get financial advice etc, but I would just like to get my head around why it's a bad deal for some when the HSE should not be taking more than the cost of care.

Advertisement