Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Router to take over from VM Hub3

• 23-08-2019 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭

Whats the middle ground of best and cheapest for a router to replace the hub 3?

The C7 was recommended at 60 odd then C8 is 108 or so, or is there another make/model that ticks the boxes for less than 100

Seems to have a meltdown when a few people using it, especially WIFI and have tried change channels. optimization on/off etc

Use the phone line, so dunno if that makes a difference?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can't get rid of the Hub, only bridge it (Modem mode). It still works as an ATA for the telephone (or at least the 3925 does, not actually tested the Hub in that way).

I use a C8, its fine if a bit old now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

ED E wrote: »
    You can't get rid of the Hub, only bridge it (Modem mode). It still works as an ATA for the telephone (or at least the 3925 does, not actually tested the Hub in that way).

I use a C8, its fine if a bit old now.

That's the worry, I get a router and phone stops working, parent's are older so can't lose a house phone

I seen in the super thread C7 then C8.

So if it's old now at E108 or so, I've no hope of getting up to date router for less than E100

Or do I just get one that works, even if older

The main difference would be peak wifi speeds with new devices. If you dont have a 2018+ iPad to try and pull 500Mbs when Virgin change packages again its really not a big worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭banie01

jeffk wrote: »
    That's the worry, I get a router and phone stops working, parent's are older so can't lose a house phone

I seen in the super thread C7 then C8.

So if it's old now at E108 or so, I've no hope of getting up to date router for less than E100

Or do I just get one that works, even if older

The money you spend on the router really depends on what you actually want the router to do.

Do you want to run VPN or multiple WiFi access points?
    Do you want MAC level control of device access and logging?

Or do you just want better WiFi that that offered by the VM hub?

WiFi can be done quite cheaply with an access point.
    The bells and whistles will cost more, what do you actually need?
    Why are looking to change the router in the 1st place?

The main difference would be peak wifi speeds with new devices. If you dont have a 2018+ iPad to try and pull 500Mbs when Virgin change packages again its really not a big worry.

New enough phone and firestick but don't think you'd need that much speed for them, older TV so no 4k content

So go C8 or could I get away with C7?

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    The money you spend on the router really depends on what you actually want the router to do.

Do you want to run VPN or multiple WiFi access points?
    Do you want MAC level control of device access and logging?

Or do you just want better WiFi that that offered by the VM hub?

WiFi can be done quite cheaply with an access point.
    The bells and whistles will cost more, what do you actually need?
    Why are looking to change the router in the 1st place?

Not pushed on VPN as just seen to cause issues, if needed just run software on box etc

Only mac thing I do is assign a ip to, but not a must have, just a setting I was messing with

Mostly better Wi-Fi as have sky q, sky mini, tablet, firestick and a phone

Keep getting fair connection status on firestick and sometimes online things pause or cut out.

Then constant issues on YouTube and it netflix on sky boxes, like buffering or locks up randomly after playing for ages ok

Only mac thing I do is assign a ip to, but not a must have, just a setting I was messing with

Mostly better Wi-Fi as have sky q, sky mini, tablet, firestick and a phone

If it's just WiFi improvements you are after.
    I'd just buy a WiFi access point like this TP-Link https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075PDLQ2Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MdiyDb3SY76V1

Then disable the WiFi on the VM Hub and run the WiFi network on that.

The C7/C8 and other routers will all do more, especially with regards network management.
    But if you don't use those features, it's deciding if it the cost is worth it to "future proof" or if it's overkill.

If it's just WiFi improvements you are after.
    I'd just buy a WiFi access point like this TP-LINK TL-WA901ND 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013HCO332/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_e9hyDbN0Q3RNB

Then disable the WiFi on the VM Hub and run the WiFi network on that.

The C7/C8 and other routers will all do more, especially with regards network management.
    But if you don't use those features, it's deciding if it the cost is worth it to "future proof" or if it's overkill.

So I plug that into the virgin media router and that does the WiFi rather than the virgin media router?

Only problem is I've no free ports
    Android box
    Two pcs
    Honeyewell heating receiver thing

I've a box to split one connection into three, but was E10 so speeds be crap and even if I said heating receiver, I tried that and didn't seem to work

So I plug that into the virgin media router and that does the WiFi rather than the virgin media router?

Only problem is I've no free ports
    Android box
    Two pcs
    Honeyewell heating receiver thing

I've a box to split one connection into three, but was E10 so speeds be crap and even if I said heating receiver, I tried that and didn't seem to work

In that case just buy a router and run it as an access point.
    It will give an additional 4 ports for wired connections.

In that case just buy a router and run it as an access point.
    It will give an additional 4 ports for wired connections.

You linked a TP-LINK TL-WA901ND 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point

Then changed to a TP-Link Archer C50 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Cable Router

Would the router be best option, one connection from HUB 3 into wan and then use the four ports as I would on the hub?

• Advertisement

You linked a TP-LINK TL-WA901ND 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point

Then changed to a TP-Link Archer C50 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Cable Router

Would the router be best option, one connection from HUB 3 into wan and then use the four ports as I would on the hub?

The 1st link was wrong on my clipboard so I corrected it.

Stick with a c7/c8 or do some more research and ask more questions.

Your understanding of 1 connection to the hub is correct.
    If buying a router for this kind of use, just make sure that it offers an access point/AP mode.

The 1st link was wrong on my clipboard so I corrected it.

Stick with a c7/c8 or do some more research and ask more questions.

Your understanding of 1 connection to the hub is correct.
    If buying a router for this kind of use, just make sure that it offers an access point/AP mode.

Ah cool thanks, just I replied and then seen it was different and wanted to make sure

Asked VM themselves to be sure to be sure about using the phone while in modem, so that be sometime next week, plenty of time to do more googling

Ah cool thanks, just I replied and then seen it was different and wanted to make sure

Asked VM themselves to be sure to be sure about using the phone while in modem, so that be sometime next week, plenty of time to do more googling

If you use an additional WiFi access point solely to manage WiFi.
    You are not bridging the modem.
    The phone and router functions of the modem will work normally, and apart from switching off the WiFi everything on there stays as is.

You are getting confused between bridging, where the hub is placed into modem modem and a new router is used to manage all network functions.
    And
    Adding an access point, where an access point is added to improve WiFi or network connectivity.

Based on your answers to what you needed to actually do.
    An access point was advised.
    That keeps it simple and let's phone and all other functions work as normal.

If you use an additional WiFi access point solely to manage WiFi.
    You are not bridging the modem.
    The phone and router functions of the modem will work normally, and apart from switching off the WiFi everything on there stays as is.

You are getting confused between bridging, where the hub is placed into modem modem and a new router is used to manage all network functions.
    And
    Adding an access point, where an access point is added to improve WiFi or network connectivity.

Based on your answers to what you needed to actually do.
    An access point was advised.
    That keeps it simple and let's phone and all other functions work as normal.

So , get a TP-LINK TL-WA901ND 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point to take over the wifi from virgin media hub and then will get no issues and have good 2.4 and 5 speeds on wifi?

So , get a TP-LINK TL-WA901ND 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point to take over the wifi from virgin media hub and then will get no issues and have good 2.4 and 5 speeds on wifi?

Dont get that, its 2.4 only old hat. Unlikely to improve things whatsoever.

The link I originally gave Jeff was wrong.
    Corrected it and explained that to him.
    It was a reversion to needing Lan ports that probably led Jeff back to that link.
    That particular link was my fault as I was trying to demonstrate what Jeff needed i.e router Vs access point and the difference between them and whether bridging was actually needed.

Jeff said he was off to Google and I was back to being busy ;)
    Thanks for chiming in to clarify the WiFi and ap link limitation :)

Reading some reviews and not great either

Any other ideas rather than 110 on c9, C7 E60 or so but old tech and probably over kill

Definitely want to get something with 5Ghz as have the firestick at back of house using it, so need all the help it can get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

I had a C8 replace my eir modem WiFi for a couple of years and it was a huge improvement in terms of range and reliability.

Supported a 4 person house with 2 iphones, 2 android, 2 ipads, 3x FireTVs and a bunch of IoT stuff.

(I ran the firesticks on the 5GHz and everything else on 2.4 - didn't miss a beat, even with 4K Netflix)

Shameless plug - I recently replaced it with a Unifi setup which is a step up again. C8 is on Adverts along with a couple of Huawei range extenders. Open to offers :-)

(I upgraded to Unifi as I wanted to extend range again to outdoors & garage, as well as isolate IoT on Vlans etc)

• Advertisement

meep wrote: »
    I had a C8 replace my eir modem WiFi for a couple of years and it was a huge improvement in terms of range and reliability.

Supported a 4 person house with 2 iphones, 2 android, 2 ipads, 3x FireTVs and a bunch of IoT stuff.

(I ran the firesticks on the 5GHz and everything else on 2.4 - didn't miss a beat, even with 4K Netflix)

Shameless plug - I recently replaced it with a Unifi setup which is a step up again. C8 is on Adverts along with a couple of Huawei range extenders. Open to offers :-)

(I upgraded to Unifi as I wanted to extend range again to outdoors & garage, as well as isolate IoT on Vlans etc)

Was trying to get a deal done on the router with you, not happening it seems.....

Advertisement