Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmable LED won't turn off fully

Options
  • 23-08-2019 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Have 2 wall mounted wall lights.
    The bulbs dim with a knob on the light fitting.
    Changed bulb to dimmable LED.
    Now the LED bulb won't switch off fully.
    There's a small glow off the bulb.
    Don't really want to change the fittings if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,461 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does the bulb continue to glow when you remove it from the fitting or does it go out straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Does the bulb continue to glow when you remove it from the fitting or does it go out straight away?

Can't say that I ever took notice !
    Went back to the standard bulbs.
    Must try again !

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Did you just replace the bulbs to LED? You will need a LED dimmer switch too

• Registered Users Posts: 69,091 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The dimmer you have is still providing some voltage rather than going off entirely - but it'll likely also kill the bulbs soon enough if its a bog standard dimmer from the old days. Dimmable LED does not mean it works with old fashioned rheostatic dimmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

TheBully wrote: »
    Did you just replace the bulbs to LED? You will need a LED dimmer switch too

The dimmer switch is a knob on the light fitting.
    At the moment I don't want to replace the 2 fittings.

I once came across a product like this;

https://hartingtonheath.com/product/i-lumos-led-adapter-for-use-against-dimmer-light-switches-flickering/

It's a resistor and is meant to stop flashing or flickering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

joebre wrote: »
    The dimmer switch is a knob on the light fitting.
    At the moment I don't want to replace the 2 fittings.

I once came across a product like this;

https://hartingtonheath.com/product/i-lumos-led-adapter-for-use-against-dimmer-light-switches-flickering/

It's a resistor and is meant to stop flashing or flickering.

It probably will sort it, as would a normal incandescent in parallel with them. Although that would be less practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If you put the old on off light switch back and the issue goes then the issue is your dimming switch not being able to dim low enough for the low energy lamps.

The correct dimmer, or one of the ones that has the on off feature even you press the dimmer knob button are options.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

FTR, LED GU10's in my house have an afterglow that lasts a few minutes on a straight up on off switch.

Phillips master range, not cheap Lidl / Aldi ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Electroboom has a video on the topic. Ignore his (faux) safety nightmares. Doesnt have to be the dimmer, it can be very small amounts of induced current. Only certain models of LED lights will illuminate at such levels.

Advertisement