Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stay or should I go?

Options
  • 23-08-2019 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

Dont really know what to do here.

I did a complete career change about a year ago, was made redundant and started working part time for a small local business.

I feel the job is not working out.

Nothing like the specification in the job advert and I'm only getting about a quarter of the hours that I was initially told I would get.

Four months in and I still haven't been given any contract and have been sent off to do work for two other organisations ('help them out as a favour' but obviously I get paid).

Difficult for me to do a good job, company is very small, quite disorganised and communication is not what it should be at all.

I am a hard worker and like to do a good job but feel my ability to do the job well is being impacted by the lack of communication and being sent off on unrelated duties.

Money isn't good but location and hours are flexible which is great.

I'm applying elsewhere but not hearing anything back or otherwise I'm hearing that I'm too 'overqualified' for the job I've applied for (I do have many years experience and plenty of qualifications but I don't want to climb the career ladder in the traditional sense).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If the company are not honoring the agreements they set out to you on you accepting the job then leave. No question.
    Recap....

Job specification incorrect.

being delegated jobs and duties unrelated to the position you applied for.

hours not being given as promised or indicated.

No contract, four months in.

Get the hell out of there ASAP...they are just takings you for a ride, a sham of a company...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I advise too also leave! However, I would insure that I would have a job lined up before leaving. If I were you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

job seeker wrote: »
    I advise too also leave! However, I would insure that I would have a job lined up before leaving. If I were you!

I'm trying believe me, just not having any luck. I have qualifications in 3 or 4 different fields and plenty of experience under my belt as well, so you would think the scope for jobs is good but I am finding the opposite to be the case.

Fingers crossed I manage to find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Augme

Dumb down your CV if you are getting told you are over qualified alot.

Augme wrote: »
    Dumb down your CV if you are getting told you are over qualified alot.

Yeah I am thinking that's probably what I will need to do, shame how things work that way but I do think it's a good suggestion.

• Advertisement

Yeah I am thinking that's probably what I will need to do, shame how things work that way but I do think it's a good suggestion.

I agree! Tailor your cv to the job which you are applying too! I had too remove my level 8 degree before to get an old job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I would also be leaving ASAP.

Typically when we reject someone for being 'overqualified' , there is a genuine fear that this person is going to be bored / unfulfilled in the role, meaning that we are simply going to lose them again as soon as something which is more suited to them comes up. That puts us back to square on concerning recruiting, training, etc. so the apprehension here can certainly be justified.

That said, some employers will have other thoughts in mind when the play the 'overqualified' card. One being that they are really looking for someone who is younger and see you as being too old compared to what they have in mind for the position. Another can be that they assume that our salary expectation will not match with what they are willing to offer.

Dumbing down your CV is a valid suggestion, though not always possible. E.g. if I am looking for someone with ca 3 years experience, and you have 20, then it is difficult to hide this without moving into territory where one is being blatantly dishonest.

skallywag wrote: »
    I would also be leaving ASAP.

Typically when we reject someone for being 'overqualified' , there is a genuine fear that this person is going to be bored / unfulfilled in the role, meaning that we are simply going to lose them again as soon as something which is more suited to them comes up. That puts us back to square on concerning recruiting, training, etc. so the apprehension here can certainly be justified.

That said, some employers will have other thoughts in mind when the play the 'overqualified' card. One being that they are really looking for someone who is younger and see you as being too old compared to what they have in mind for the position. Another can be that they assume that our salary expectation will not match with what they are willing to offer.

Dumbing down your CV is a valid suggestion, though not always possible. E.g. if I am looking for someone with ca 3 years experience, and you have 20, then it is difficult to hide this without moving into territory where one is being blatantly dishonest.

Yes I have had the salary expectation one mentioned to me a couple of times as well, as in the salary will be much lower than what you have been paid previously.

I'm usually aware of the salary before I apply, it's not the biggest priority to me. An enjoyable job and a good company culture are much more important than the pay.

I am working since I was a teen so I think when employers see on my CV have 20+ years of solid experience (without meeting me) they might think I'm older than I am. I'm no graduate fresh out of college but I'm not ready for the glue factory yet!

Good news though, got a call today and I have an interview lined up for a really nice position in a couple of weeks time so fingers crossed that goes well.

If not I'll have to axe my CV and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks all!

Yes I have had the salary expectation one mentioned to me a couple of times as well, as in the salary will be much lower than what you have been paid previously.

I'm usually aware of the salary before I apply, it's not the biggest priority to me. An enjoyable job and a good company culture are much more important than the pay.

I am working since I was a teen so I think when employers see on my CV have 20+ years of solid experience (without meeting me) they might think I'm older than I am. I'm no graduate fresh out of college but I'm not ready for the glue factory yet!

Good news though, got a call today and I have an interview lined up for a really nice position in a couple of weeks time so fingers crossed that goes well.

If not I'll have to axe my CV and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks all!

Super! The very best of luck with the interview! :)

Interview went well got some good feedback but unfortunately was unsuccessful. They were interviewing a large number of candidates so guess I wasn't in luck this time.

Interview followed a verbal scenario testing format of about 30-40 questions so it was a good experience to have some practice at those type of situations.

I handed in my notice anyway because that role just wasn't going anywhere and am in the process of dumbing down my CV.

Bit disheartened but am still applying for positions so fingers crossed, I really need a breakthrough soon!!

• Advertisement

Interview went well got some good feedback but unfortunately was unsuccessful. They were interviewing a large number of candidates so guess I wasn't in luck this time.

Interview followed a verbal scenario testing format of about 30-40 questions so it was a good experience to have some practice at those type of situations.

I handed in my notice anyway because that role just wasn't going anywhere and am in the process of dumbing down my CV.

Bit disheartened but am still applying for positions so fingers crossed, I really need a breakthrough soon!!

It's all positives with interviews! The experience and practice is extremely beneficial! It's good that you handed in your notice, it will give you time to focus on job hunting and I am sure, it's a breath of fresh air that that you no longer have to work in that toxic environment!

It can be disheartening no doubt, but pick yourself back up and smash your next interview! :) The very best of luck in the future!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think keep applying for other jobs and then leave when you get an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

If you go there will be trouble, but if you stay.. it could well be double so it's quite a tough one.

Seriously though, i'd leave and go elsewhere. Don't "dumb down" your CV. You should never under sell yourself, just go for a job that suits your experience.

There's plenty out there, maybe try a recruitment agency.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    If you go there will be trouble, but if you stay.. it could well be double so it's quite a tough one.

Seriously though, i'd leave and go elsewhere. Don't "dumb down" your CV. You should never under sell yourself, just go for a job that suits your experience.

There's plenty out there, maybe try a recruitment agency.

I definitely agree with you, I feel it is shame to undersell myself but unfortunately it seems the only way.

I have tried agency and job sites etc, applied for a load of advertised jobs. This week I made a second new CV and dumbed it down, did a cold cv email drop to a load of places and as a result I had two interviews already today.

So wrong as it is, the new CV is definitely stirring up more interest but it could be a case of right place right time.

Did four face to face interviews in the past fortnight, all seemed to go very well (I felt so anyway). Most recent one was a week ago today.

Not heard back from any of them?? I know its early days but to not hear back from four separate companies, is this unusual?

Have to say my confidence is taking a bit of a knock from the lack of feedback or lack of anything. I'm still applying for multiple jobs every day etc but finding it hard to muster any enthusiasm at the thoughts of interview after interview and nothing coming from them.

One interviewer described my experience as very broad and diverse, maybe I need to fine tune CV again to tailor to one specific skill set?

Advertisement