Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

dave oc wrote: »
    Did many people sign up for the VW service plan that includes tyres? Seems like good value, I tried to ask if there was any thresholds to be hit before they are changed like thread depth or are they definitely done during the 3 years but didn't get much of an answer.

Obviously comes down to milage and tyre wear, but I'd hate to pay the 3 years and not get the value of the set of tyres changed as the EV service wouldn't cost the total of that plan.

They will probably only change them if down to the thread minimum. I would imagine for many customers VW are only budgeting on changing perhaps 2 tyres, or possibly none.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

gear_ie wrote: »
    What do you all use to track charging? I had set preferred charging from 00:00 to 08:00 last night to charge to 80% but woke to 60% - not an issue as not going anywhere - but I'm trying to figure out how much time I need it plugged in to get it to 80%...

The Connect ID app only tells me when I've plugged the car in and when I've plugged out with no details on power usage or anything - would have thought I'd have more details especially given I have the ID Charger Connect... unless I'm missing something...?

I have a CT clamp on my mains power at the meter box. That's how I monitor my house energy consumption. The car pulls so much vs anything else overnight that it's easy to spot when it's charging or not.

This kit:
    https://efergy.com/elite-kit/

I'd tentatively recommend it. It's wireless, easy to setup, and there's a 3rd party app which gives nice display and history of usage. It also hooks into my home-assistant, so that's nice.
    Cons... the display is pretty crap at anything other than telling you current power consumption. There's only 1 tariff you can set, so it can't give you night rate/day rate costs, and frankly I don't understand the daily cost estimator it has. The display also came broken. One of the metal plates which put the batteries in series didn't conduct, so I've had to jump it with a wire. Your average user would of returned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

eagerv wrote: »
    They will probably only change them if down to the thread minimum. I would imagine for many customers VW are only budgeting on changing perhaps 2 tyres, or possibly none.

So in other words anyone who got the service plan has a solid justification for doing donuts :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

So in other words anyone who got the service plan has a solid justification for doing donuts :D

Where is that fuse that you pull..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Or doing a few Mizen to Malins, followed by a few circuits of Ireland and maybe a Tour de France or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

gear_ie wrote: »
    What do you all use to track charging? I had set preferred charging from 00:00 to 08:00 last night to charge to 80% but woke to 60% - not an issue as not going anywhere - but I'm trying to figure out how much time I need it plugged in to get it to 80%...

First off, charge timers don’t work reliably so you can’t figure anything out by monitoring it. We need VW to fix it.

To figure out how long it needs is just a maths question. A monitor won’t tell you.

You need to know:
    Your charge rate... probably 7.2kW
    Your battery size... probably 77kWh
    Your starting state of charge
    Your desired end SoC

And then calculate.

Until VW fix the timers you should delete the timers/locations from the car and manually start the charge session before you go to bed (it will stop itself). The app should tell you how long it will take to finish, it does for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

KCross wrote: »
    First off, charge timers don’t work reliably so you can’t figure anything out by monitoring it. We need VW to fix it.

To figure out how long it needs is just a maths question. A monitor won’t tell you.

You need to know:
    Your charge rate... probably 7.2kW
    Your battery size... probably 77kWh
    Your starting state of charge
    Your desired end SoC

And then calculate.

Until VW fix the timers you should delete the timers/locations from the car and manually start the charge session before you go to bed (it will stop itself). The app should tell you how long it will take to finish, it does for me anyway.

I'll break out me abacus.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Jumping between the ID3 and ID4. I was thinking ID3 tour for the 77KW battery and it has a lot of tech , the ID4 life is similar price after grant but you loose out on some of the tech judging by the product guide. Does the ID4 life has the same equipment as the city and style. Hard to figure out whats included.

Jumping between the ID3 and ID4. I was thinking ID3 tour for the 77KW battery and it has a lot of tech , the ID4 life is similar price after grant but you loose out on some of the tech judging by the product guide. Does the ID4 life has the same equipment as the city and style. Hard to figure out whats included.

Life has everything the City has, plus:
    • 19" wheels
    • 11kW AC charging and 125kW DC charging
    • 77kWh battery

It does not have (based on what the style has over the city:
    • LED Matrix headlights
    • 3rd climate zone in the back
    • Rear view camera
    • Keyless access (keyless unlocking)

If you don't need the space the ID.4 offers, get the extra tech the ID.3 offers for the same price.

Going to try the timed charge again tonight. I'm on 68% and the limit is set to 80% so I don't really need the charge. Just curious to see if it works and it'll make the bank holiday weekend a bit easier if I charge now

• Advertisement

Going to try the timed charge again tonight. I'm on 68% and the limit is set to 80% so I don't really need the charge. Just curious to see if it works and it'll make the bank holiday weekend a bit easier if I charge now

I've found starting charging at higher % and plugging in later in the evening results in a higher chance of night rate charging and getting a proper charge for the morning.
    Low battery its like the car panics and thinks "oh shucks I'll never get fully charged in time if I don't start now", then a few hours later the cars like "what was I worrying about" and either throttles charging way down or stops charging altogether. Then starts up again later in the night or completely forgets about charging again and you wake up with 35% battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I've found starting charging at higher % and plugging in later in the evening results in a higher chance of night rate charging and getting a proper charge for the morning.
    Low battery its like the car panics and thinks "oh shucks I'll never get fully charged in time if I don't start now", then a few hours later the cars like "what was I worrying about" and either throttles charging way down or stops charging altogether. Then starts up again later in the night or completely forgets about charging again and you wake up with 35% battery.

Is it Herbie you have? It’s very talkative! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

I love your personification of the id4 as a bumbling idiot!

I love your personification of the id4 as a bumbling idiot!

It regularly interprets my wife singing to the kids as someone saying "hello ID". Yet if I try activate it on purpose it never hears me. It's certainly a bit special in a few circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It regularly interprets my wife singing to the kids as someone saying "hello ID". Yet if I try activate it on purpose it never hears me. It's certainly a bit special in a few circumstances.

Disable the wake word in the menus and then use the button on the steering wheel when you need to ask it something.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Disable the wake word in the menus and then use the button on the steering wheel when you need to ask it something.

Tried using the button today and it couldn't decide whether to use Android auto voice commands or ID voice commands. Google didn't care if I was warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Hi All
    Had quick read tru a few posts but looking for some advice

currently have Tiguan Elagance, PCP ending next month

looking at the ID4 as alternative

3 kids but space in back (leg room) becoming an issue

what is the ID4 like for space and as a car in general

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Hi All
    Had quick read tru a few posts but looking for some advice

currently have Tiguan Elagance, PCP ending next month

looking at the ID4 as alternative

3 kids but space in back (leg room) becoming an issue

what is the ID4 like for space and as a car in general

thanks in advance

really good - better than the Tiguan I suspect

- you might be waiting though, my Mum went into Hogan's in Limerick the other day to buy one and they are finding it hard to get one before September

Was that you I gave a wave to padraig?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

For anyone heading for the hills this weekend

2021 Volkswagen ID.4 Review and Off-Road Trail Test
    https://youtu.be/K-Q5o96tsoI

Skip to 19:15

Does the ID.4 have the highest ground clearance of any EV at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Was that you I gave a wave to padraig?

Don't think so unless I missed you again! I was heading to Youghal if that's the direction you were?

Don't think so unless I missed you again! I was heading to Youghal if that's the direction you were?

Oh they waved back. Bishopstown area

Probably see pics of yours Liam before we see amazing_raisins car.

I already posted pics last week :p

EDIT: Apologies, for some reason my browser time warped me back a week when I clicked on latest posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colhickey

Oh they waved back. Bishopstown area

If that was you in the blue ID4 on Dennehy's Cross about 11.45 this morning, then it was me who waved back - couldn't but return a wave from a fellow ID4'er, sure aren't we a pleasant bunch biggrin.png.

I was down for a funeral and it was the first long journey (Waterford/Tramore to Cork) for me - turned out pleased with the economy.

Started with a 100% charge (I know, I know), which gave me 480km on the gauge. Strangely, that dropped by about 45km after about 5km driving, so I was wondering how it was going to turn out.

About 140km each way, door to door. Warm day, no air con, eco mode, no passengers, mostly 100/110 with a small bit of 120/130 motorway driving.

480km at the start, 177km still left when I got back. So, slightly off with the estimates, but puts the mind to rest looking at longer journeys in the summer. Overall, happy with that.

colhickey wrote: »
    If that was you in the blue ID4 on Dennehy's Cross about 11.45 this morning, then it was me who waved back - couldn't but return a wave from a fellow ID4'er, sure aren't we a pleasant bunch biggrin.png.

I was down for a funeral and it was the first long journey (Waterford/Tramore to Cork) for me - turned out pleased with the economy.

Started with a 100% charge (I know, I know), which gave me 480km on the gauge. Strangely, that dropped by about 45km after about 5km driving, so I was wondering how it was going to turn out.

About 140km each way, door to door. Warm day, no air con, eco mode, no passengers, mostly 100/110 with a small bit of 120/130 motorway driving.

480km at the start, 177km still left when I got back. So, slightly off with the estimates, but puts the mind to rest looking at longer journeys in the summer. Overall, happy with that.

Yeah the GOM is a bit optimistic at first, it should give more realistic estimates after the first few drives

It's based on the recent consumption, so as that gets updated based on your driving the GOM will get more accurate

One drawback is that if you do mostly urban driving then when you do a motorway journey the GOM will suddenly drop as it adjusts to the higher consumption of motorway speeds

colhickey wrote: »

That was me indeed.

Bumped into another ID4 driver at the shops then.

280km driven with 177km on the gom is pretty impressive. There's nothing wrong with charging to 100% when you need it/going to use over 20-30% the next day. Sitting at/around 100% for days is what does the damage. 430km is about my 100% range.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's amazing though want people are willing to forgive on EVs versus say an ICE. When the functional controls of the vehicle (non driving related) are very dicey and give regular hassel or just don't work. Is this an overall learnt acceptance of technology just being buggy that we've accepted over years .

Would an equivalent ICE vehicle get away with this at launch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

listermint wrote: »
    It's amazing though want people are willing to forgive on EVs versus say an ICE. When the functional controls of the vehicle (non driving related) are very dicey and give regular hassel or just don't work. Is this an overall learnt acceptance of technology just being buggy that we've accepted over years .

It's an interesting point but I don't think it's an eV issue it's just a new tech issue, are there cases of the same new features that work on an ice car and don't work on an eV or is it just that EVs tend to be high specced and packed with newer features.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There are ICE cars suffering similar tech issues.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

I think as a society we've become accustomed to anything computer related being buggy at launch

The new Golf was also suffering issues which led to a recall last year, so it isn't EVs

I think EV drivers are willing to accept a more relaxed pace when driving down to efficiency and charging. Not necessarily a bad thing for road safety

Advertisement