Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So I plugged in with around 25% when I got home

Charging location is set to charge immediately to 40% and it's happily steaming away at around 7kW (40km/h)

The last timed charge went fine but was only going from 68% to 80%, so the bar was set fairly low

We'll see how it goes tonight, whether it ends up close to 80%

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Pat201

Pat201 wrote: »
    Sorry my post should have said problem opening driver door. I end up opening from inside by going round to passenger side. I now know how to manually open door using handle but still not sure why door does not function as rest does sometimes

Just wanted to give everyone a update. Got Driver side door inspected in frank keane VW as problem with opening became chronic. they took off panel and found that connector was barely making connection so once they reseated that i have had no further issues.

Also a issue i was having was Parking sensors on front activating when nothing in front of car. That turned out to be a problem with Reg plate bracket causing them to activate .

Pat

Did anyone go for the service pack? I wasn't pushed but I've gone and looked up the price of tyres, cheapest I've found so far are €233 a piece :(

With the mileage I do I could get through 3 years without a tyre change, but now I'm debating whether to get the service pack just to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Did anyone go for the service pack? I wasn't pushed but I've gone and looked up the price of tyres, cheapest I've found so far are €233 a piece :(

With the mileage I do I could get through 3 years without a tyre change, but now I'm debating whether to get the service pack just to be safe

thats steep!

What are the numbers for the tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

First wash and wax done this morning. A lot more surface to clean on this than my old car. Took about 3 hours all in and a nice morning to do it. Not too much hard work as it was very clean to start with, now its set up for a few months before needed wax again.

https://ibb.co/T12Vjm3
    https://ibb.co/sgTgCwp
    https://ibb.co/k9L5KQX
    https://ibb.co/Jcgv9jm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

dave oc wrote: »
    First wash and wax done this morning. A lot more surface to clean on this than my old car. Took about 3 hours all in and a nice morning to do it. Not too much hard work as it was very clean to start with, now its set up for a few months before needed wax again.

Looking very well in the blue, well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

https://ibb.co/T12Vjm3
    https://ibb.co/sgTgCwp
    https://ibb.co/k9L5KQX
    https://ibb.co/Jcgv9jm

Looks great, blue certainly is the colour for the ID.4
    What’s your wash routine and what products are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Does this affect Irish Customers or the ID 3 and 4?

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/elektroauto/vw-waermepumpe-entschaedigung-kunden-id3-id4/

€285 refund for the heat pump?

deravarra wrote: »
    thats steep!

What are the numbers for the tyre?

235/45 R21 on the front
    255/45 R21 on the back

I did find some cheapo tyres for 155 each, but I'd definitely something with the rim protection

So I plugged in with around 25% when I got home

Charging location is set to charge immediately to 40% and it's happily steaming away at around 7kW (40km/h)

The last timed charge went fine but was only going from 68% to 80%, so the bar was set fairly low

We'll see how it goes tonight, whether it ends up close to 80%

Morning report, I had a departure time set for 8am, target SoC of 80% and starting at 40% plus preheating

Checked at 7.30 and the car was still charging at 68%. Went on charging until half 8 and got to 75%

So yeah, definitely not there yet. I think others are correct in that the car will slow down the charging speed and then run out of time towards the end

It's annoying because I actually like the idea of slowing down the charging speed to prevent the house from getting overloaded

• Advertisement

kop-end wrote: »

I tried washing using this way https://youtu.be/xobp-uptqtA. Came across it looking at posts in the detailing forum. Not that I followed it religiously, but some good points on hosing and rising before rubbing dirt into the car. Not sure I’m sold on the 2 bucket thing but hey I got them now so might as well use them.

I use Meguairs products and have for a while, I like their tyre dressing and already had a lot of the stuff from before to do the new car. Their liquid wax is very easy to apply and buff out too, just took the time and elbow grease to do it. Also, the wax went on all parts of the car ok including the plastic (tested on a small section first).

Main thing is to wash and then dry the car with a towel to not let the water spots dry into the car. This will always make the car shine better than drying naturally. And for me tyre dressing gives the car that valeted/showroom look for 5 mins work, just lash it on the tyres at the end. With the wax coat done now it should be fairly easy and quicker to wash for the next few months.

I tried washing using this way https://youtu.be/xobp-uptqtA. Came across it looking at posts in the detailing forum. Not that I followed it religiously, but some good points on hosing and rising before rubbing dirt into the car. Not sure I’m sold on the 2 bucket thing but hey I got them now so might as well use them.

I use Meguairs products and have for a while, I like their tyre dressing and already had a lot of the stuff from before to do the new car. Their liquid wax is very easy to apply and buff out too, just took the time and elbow grease to do it. Also, the wax went on all parts of the car ok including the plastic (tested on a small section first).

Main thing is to wash and then dry the car with a towel to not let the water spots dry into the car. This will always make the car shine better than drying naturally. And for me tyre dressing gives the car that valeted/showroom look for 5 mins work, just lash it on the tyres at the end. With the wax coat done now it should be fairly easy and quicker to wash for the next few months.

lol, he was washing a clean car, i want him to wash a car that needs washing which is full of muck. :D

kop-end wrote: »

I use Autoglym products, they do the job and are widely available

I got a power washer and a snow foam lance, makes the job much quicker

Here's my routine
    1. Rinse
    2. Snow foam with Autoglym polar blast (pre wash)
    3. Rinse after a few mins
    4. Using 2 buckets, wash the alloys, insides of the doors and and other details. Wash with one bucket, rinse with the other and dry
    5. Using the snow foam lance and Autoglym polar wash, spray down the car then hand wash with a sponge or mitt. Use a bucket of clean water to rinse the sponge. To make sure the car doesn't dry out, don't to the whole car at once, go by section
    6. Using a bunch of microfiber cloths, dry the car thoroughly
    7. If you want at this point, wax and buff the car
    8. I use glass cleaner on the windows, dry them off then use glass polish to get them shining
    9. If the alloys are really dirty I use wheel cleaner, dry them off and then user tire dressing to give them that showroom look

At this point there sun has probably set, so treat yourself to a couple of beers :D

lol, he was washing a clean car, i want him to wash a car that needs washing which is full of muck. :D

Keep it clean and it's easy to wash :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I use Autoglym products, they do the job and are widely available

I got a power washer and a snow foam lance, makes the job much quicker

Here's my routine
    1. Rinse
    2. Snow foam with Autoglym polar blast (pre wash)
    3. Rinse after a few mins
    4. Using 2 buckets, wash the alloys, insides of the doors and and other details. Wash with one bucket, rinse with the other and dry
    5. Using the snow foam lance and Autoglym polar wash, spray down the car then hand wash with a sponge or mitt. Use a bucket of clean water to rinse the sponge. To make sure the car doesn't dry out, don't to the whole car at once, go by section
    6. Using a bunch of microfiber cloths, dry the car thoroughly
    7. If you want at this point, wax and buff the car
    8. I use glass cleaner on the windows, dry them off then use glass polish to get them shining
    9. If the alloys are really dirty I use wheel cleaner, dry them off and then user tire dressing to give them that showroom look

At this point there sun has probably set, so treat yourself to a couple of beers :D

A few notes. Do your alloys last. They're full of crap and you're only putting that crap into your rinsing bucket. Do them last, and with a different mitt/cloth than what touches your paintwork.

Clean your car top to bottom. All the heaviest dirt is on the bottom, so you don't want to be dragging that up onto the rest of the paintwork.

Ditch the sponge. Mitt only.

Anything that falls/touches the ground should never touch your car.

Rain water is great for rinsing. Less water spots

A few notes. Do your alloys last. They're full of crap and you're only putting that crap into your rinsing bucket. Do them last, and with a different mitt/cloth than what touches your paintwork.

Clean your car top to bottom. All the heaviest dirt is on the bottom, so you don't want to be dragging that up onto the rest of the paintwork.

Ditch the sponge. Mitt only.

Anything that falls/touches the ground should never touch your car.

Rain water is great for rinsing. Less water spots

Oh yeah I change the rinse water every so often, stops it getting contaminated

I got those packs of 24 microfiber cloths from Amazon, they're actually brilliant for doing all the tough spots on the car and also for drying. I've got so many I won't run out

Keep them separate to other cleaning cloths, stops them getting contaminated and worn and then passing that onto your car

Keep it clean and it's easy to wash :)

Jesus so much time gone in Winter trying to keep it clean is next to impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

What's the biggest battery/range spec you can get in Ireland at the moment on the ID4? I'm looking into basically how much range can I get for my buck while still qualifying for the SEAI grant (that isn't a Tesla) and saw reports of a VW ID4 1st 82 kWh model. Is that available here? The VW website isn't transparent with it, to be honest!

dmcg90 wrote: »
    What's the biggest battery/range spec you can get in Ireland at the moment on the ID4? I'm looking into basically how much range can I get for my buck while still qualifying for the SEAI grant (that isn't a Tesla) and saw reports of a VW ID4 1st 82 kWh model. Is that available here? The VW website isn't transparent with it, to be honest!

The largest battery is 82kWh, but only 77kWh usable. That's common place with all manufacturers to leave some of the battery capacity unused to protect the lifespan of the battery.

"Net" is typically what's quoted, so 77kWh is the largest battery the ID4 comes with, with a wltp range of 492-520km depending on spec. Real world is 20% less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

I must be an outlier, or car gets filthy but I normally just throw it in to be valeted every 6 or so months. Full of sand at the minute on the inside and not much better outside. Drives really well on bad roads too. Was driving some fairly rough sand paths the last few days and it felt great, getting great range at the minute too, down in Kerry on holidays doing longer runs on slower roads.

• Advertisement

Is there anyway to see the exact charging rate in kwh anywhere that isn’t km/hour, either in the car or on the vw app? It is only possible with smart chargers or by obd and other apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

What’s the deal with free credit on wecharge that 1st ID.3 buyers got?
    That deal isn’t there for ID.4 buyers?
    Can you just select the ID.3 free plan or does it look for VIN match?

Is there anyway to see the exact charging rate in kwh anywhere that isn’t km/hour, either in the car or on the vw app? It is only possible with smart chargers or by obd and other apps?

Correct. Only visible through obdII units and apps like evnotify.

Morning report, I had a departure time set for 8am, target SoC of 80% and starting at 40% plus preheating

Checked at 7.30 and the car was still charging at 68%. Went on charging until half 8 and got to 75%

So yeah, definitely not there yet. I think others are correct in that the car will slow down the charging speed and then run out of time towards the end

It's annoying because I actually like the idea of slowing down the charging speed to prevent the house from getting overloaded

Oh VW. At least I've nowhere to be going today. Plugged in around 7pm last night with a departure of 6am and 9am. Charge immediately to 0%. Charge to 90% total. Car started charging immediately but I unplugged and plugged in and it copped on and stopped. Light was flashing to indicate scheduled charge so I left it be.

6.30 now and the car didn't charge at all (did 3kW for 20 minutes at midnight), so I'm still at 39%. Useless scheduled charging. God love anyone who regularly needed high SOC - I'd be fuming if it were me

Oh VW. At least I've nowhere to be going today. Plugged in around 7pm last night with a departure of 6am and 9am. Charge immediately to 0%. Charge to 90% total. Car started charging immediately but I unplugged and plugged in and it copped on and stopped. Light was flashing to indicate scheduled charge so I left it be.

6.30 now and the car didn't charge at all (did 3kW for 20 minutes at midnight), so I'm still at 39%. Useless scheduled charging. God love anyone who regularly needed high SOC - I'd be fuming if it were me

Oh course moments after i post this it starts charging. Not sure if it was the failed remote charging eventually coming through to the car or just the dumb car finally starting it's scheduled charge. Only 2.5 hours to charge though. Between creche run etc I'll get maybe 55%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Why don't you use the app to control the charging?

I plugged mine in last night and immediately stopped the charge from the app. Started it again from the app before getting some sleep.
    Full charge to 80% this morning no problem.

Didn't use the zappi scheduler at all.

Oh course moments after i post this it starts charging. Not sure if it was the failed remote charging eventually coming through to the car or just the dumb car finally starting it's scheduled charge. Only 2.5 hours to charge though. Between creche run etc I'll get maybe 55%.

Maybe you set PM instead of AM ;)

I'd try clearing out the schedule and just going back to a single departure time, just to see if the car behaves itself a bit better then. It's possible the multiple departure times are confusing it?

boardzz wrote: »
    What’s the deal with free credit on wecharge that 1st ID.3 buyers got?
    That deal isn’t there for ID.4 buyers?
    Can you just select the ID.3 free plan or does it look for VIN match?

Nope, no deals for ID.4 customers in Ireland

Everyone else gets the We Charge Go plan for free for 3 years, but the Irish must suffer apparently

The deals are matched to your VIN, so unfortunately you can't spoof it.

If you know anyone with an ID.3 1st who isn't using their credit then you could borrow/buy the card from them. AFAIK once you have the card you can charge any car with it, same as ESB Ecars

cannco253 wrote: »
    Why don't you use the app to control the charging?

I plugged mine in last night and immediately stopped the charge from the app. Started it again from the app before getting some sleep.
    Full charge to 80% this morning no problem.

Didn't use the zappi scheduler at all.
    Because the app don't work for me. It gives me a "We cannot connect to the vehicle right now. Please try again." every time I try start or stop charging from the app. I did try it today, and about 10 minutes later the car started charging (after the app errored out on me), but that's little indication that the app eventually worked. Certainly not useful.
    Maybe you set PM instead of AM ;)

I'd try clearing out the schedule and just going back to a single departure time, just to see if the car behaves itself a bit better then. It's possible the multiple departure times are confusing it?

AM is set for sure. I originally tried with 1 single departure time with very limited success. Setting all 3 departure times worked better, but it did mean the car tried to be ready to go for the first departure time at 4am (granted it would never be ready to go at 4am, so i've no idea what the purpose of departure time is or what preferred charging times do), meaning it'd try charge in the late evening.

The charging is just stupid. Goes against all logic anyone can put to it, but i'll keep trying to find some happy medium. I went for 5c night rate for a reason.

• Advertisement

dmcg90 wrote: »

The product guide probably has the most up to date information

https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/models/product-guides/2021/my21_master/ID4_MY21.pdf

The cheapest 77kWh version is the ID.4 Life, currently at just over €50k after grants

I've the same battery size in 1st Max which is a tad heavier, I'm getting around 450km urban driving, probably 350km motorway driving

Advertisement