Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The charging is just stupid. Goes against all logic anyone can put to it,....

No arguments there! The timers simply dont work reliably. Turn off the timers and its 100% reliable.

... but i'll keep trying to find some happy medium. I went for 5c night rate for a reason.
    Because the app don't work for me. It gives me a "We cannot connect to the vehicle right now. Please try again." every time I try start or stop charging from the app.

The solution to your charging issues in the short term is to fix your app problem.

The medium - long term solution has to come from VW via an OTA. The problem is that we dont know when they will fix the timers. It was expected to be fixed in 2.x as its such a basic function of an EV... but alas it wasnt fixed.

I'd focus your efforts on fixing the app. The app works reliably for lots of people (me included) so its unlikely to be the app itself. My guess is that you have a comms issue with your car or an account setup issue which you need to fix anyway, so sort it now rather than banging your head against a wall trying to put logic on the timers and it will at least give you the ability to reliably charge the car on night rate and not keep wondering what state of charge you have when you go out to it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

The product guide probably has the most up to date information

https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/models/product-guides/2021/my21_master/ID4_MY21.pdf

The cheapest 77kWh version is the ID.4 Life, currently at just over €50k after grants

I've the same battery size in 1st Max which is a tad heavier, I'm getting around 450km urban driving, probably 350km motorway driving

Any idea what range would be in middle of winter on motorway, Ie <5c with heat on? I’m guessing 250km?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

KCross wrote: »

The solution to your charging issues in the short term is to fix your app problem.

The medium - long term solution has to come from VW via an OTA. The problem is that we dont know when they will fix the timers. It was expected to be fixed in 2.x as its such a basic function of an EV... but alas it wasnt fixed.

I'd focus your efforts on fixing the app. The app works reliably for lots of people (me included) so its unlikely to be the app itself. My guess is that you have a comms issue with your car or an account setup issue which you need to fix anyway, so sort it now rather than banging your head against a wall trying to put logic on the timers and it will at least give you the ability to reliably charge the car on night rate and not keep wondering what state of charge you have when you go out to it in the morning.

I'm thinking a comms issue between my car and VW, given 1. the app issues i'm having, and 2. the digital manual failed to download since day 1 and fails every day I use the car. Both i'd assume communicate with VW servers. App issue could always be with my phone (Redmi Note 8 pro)

I'll be getting back to the dealer some day this/next week im sure.
    1. Digital manual install
    2. App failing (must mention that to them actually)
    3. The rear boot light sitting proud of the boot. Only slightly, but enough that I can push it back in on a warm day. If they've a solution to it i'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has anyone who has ordered recieved a brochure of accessories for the ID4? I got one i might be interested in the mud guards and also the chrome bar for the trunk door.

Im wondering though would the mud guards have any effect on the "aerodynamics" ???

pad199207 wrote: »
    Has anyone who has ordered recieved a brochure of accessories for the ID4? I got one i might be interested in the mud guards and also the chrome bar for the trunk door.

Im wondering though would the mud guards have any effect on the "aerodynamics" ???

Some affect, but very little I'd imagine. Loads of mudguards on aliexpress for the ID.4 if you want to go that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Casati wrote: »
    Any idea what range would be in middle of winter on motorway, Ie <5c with heat on? I’m guessing 250km?

I'd say it'll still manage 300km in anything but snow. Preheating the car while plugged in should save a lot of energy after the first few km

Ask me next January and I'll know more :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Did a test run of loading the camping gear into the boot today, happy to report there was plenty of space for everything

IMG-20210608-WA0000.jpg?raw=1

From bottom to top:

4 folding chairs
    5 person tent (Coleman rocky mount 5)
    2 double air beds
    Double sleeping bag
    Double buggy (Out n Abount Nipper double)

Have a few more bulky items to pack in like the kids sleeping bags, camping table and cool box but I'm confident I'll have no issues

Also, I found an interesting accessory that came with the car. Apparently kids in Germany must be a nightmare if the parents feel the need to partition them off while driving :D

IMG_20210608_154758.jpg?raw=1

Can't say I disagree with them :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Legally would that allow you to serve alcohol in the front seats as the children are now separated from the bar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

VW had this live chat today
    +++ Volkswagen Innovation Talk 2021: Software ist der Schlüssel zur Zukunft! +++
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kga-P50KEXc

My German isn't great but the title is "Software is the key to the future", hopefully it will be subtitled at some point.
    There's lots of mention of 2.3 but little about 2.2.
    Nice shot at 32:40 of ID.3/ID.4/ID.Buzz driving together.

Some German forums are discussing 2.2 being available around 22nd June.
    "Apparently the dealer portal is now being supplied with the first updates for the ME 2.2. I am assuming that the files should also be available on the VW servers before starting the ORU (OTA) update to ME 2.2 in week 24/21."

liamog wrote: »
    Legally would that allow you to serve alcohol in the front seats as the children are now separated from the bar :D

I'm sure the guards will accept that excuse, especially when I tell them the car was driving itself :D

• Advertisement

Did a test run of loading the camping gear into the boot today, happy to report there was plenty of space for everything

IMG-20210608-WA0000.jpg?raw=1

From bottom to top:

4 folding chairs
    5 person tent (Coleman rocky mount 5)
    2 double air beds
    Double sleeping bag
    Double buggy (Out n Abount Nipper double)

Have a few more bulky items to pack in like the kids sleeping bags, camping table and cool box but I'm confident I'll have no issues

Also, I found an interesting accessory that came with the car. Apparently kids in Germany must be a nightmare if the parents feel the need to partition them off while driving :D

IMG_20210608_154758.jpg?raw=1

Can't say I disagree with them :)

Is that an entire back bench seat cover? I just got the kick mats myself, nothing more. Worried what I'll find when I take a car seat out.

Boot is great though. Those out and about doubles are massive! Did you remove the false floor?

Is that an entire back bench seat cover? I just got the kick mats myself, nothing more. Worried what I'll find when I take a car seat out.

Boot is great though. Those out and about doubles are massive! Did you remove the false floor?

I got some covers for the seat base to put under the car seats, there's 3 in a row, one for the middle seat. Dirt can still get in between them, but they should hopefully stop any ice cream or juice or anything from staining the seats

Yeah I took the false floor out and parcel shelf. It really opens up a lot of space. I was a bit worried originally because the buggy takes up a lot of the boot when the floor is in the top post, but in the end it all got in there

Doing a weekend trip soon hopefully, will be sure to post the stats and see how the suitcase and buggy fit into the boot. The Leaf would have been majorly struggling to fit both :)

I got some covers for the seat base to put under the car seats, there's 3 in a row, one for the middle seat. Dirt can still get in between them, but they should hopefully stop any ice cream or juice or anything from staining the seats

Yeah I took the false floor out and parcel shelf. It really opens up a lot of space. I was a bit worried originally because the buggy takes up a lot of the boot when the floor is in the top post, but in the end it all got in there

Doing a weekend trip soon hopefully, will be sure to post the stats and see how the suitcase and buggy fit into the boot. The Leaf would have been majorly struggling to fit both :)

Got 1 buggy (uppababy vista), 1 decent sized suitcase, 1 decent sized overnight bag, a box of toys (size of a kallax unit box), laptop bag, shopping bag of snacks and essential "my kids can't live without these foods" things, and a scooter into the boot. Along with jackets and boots. Could take the parcel shelf out if needs be, but that's about all we needed for a weeks holiday

cannco253 wrote: »
    VW had this live chat today
    +++ Volkswagen Innovation Talk 2021: Software ist der Schlüssel zur Zukunft! +++
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kga-P50KEXc

My German isn't great but the title is "Software is the key to the future", hopefully it will be subtitled at some point.
    There's lots of mention of 2.3 but little about 2.2.
    Nice shot at 32:40 of ID.3/ID.4/ID.Buzz driving together.

Some German forums are discussing 2.2 being available around 22nd June.
    "Apparently the dealer portal is now being supplied with the first updates for the ME 2.2. I am assuming that the files should also be available on the VW servers before starting the ORU (OTA) update to ME 2.2 in week 24/21."

Should that update be over the air or require a trip to the dealer?

Also, English

https://youtu.be/Q-yUY561NEE

Should that update be over the air or require a trip to the dealer?

Also, English

https://youtu.be/Q-yUY561NEE

Jaysis, they could do with dropping down the original voice volume, it's like trying to listen to 2 people at once :)

I'm hoping it'll be OTA but I wonder what happens if the update fails, will they let you retry or will it be a trip to the dealership

Jaysis, they could do with dropping down the original voice volume, it's like trying to listen to 2 people at once :)

I'm hoping it'll be OTA but I wonder what happens if the update fails, will they let you retry or will it be a trip to the dealership

Call customer care. Lol

Around 33 minutes in that video she mentions the can update controllers to Accelerate charging... Wonder is that a hint towards 175kW charging... Or a translation error

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jonerp

Because the app don't work for me. It gives me a "We cannot connect to the vehicle right now. Please try again." every time I try start or stop charging from the app. I did try it today, and about 10 minutes later the car started charging (after the app errored out on me), but that's little indication that the app eventually worked. Certainly not useful.

AM is set for sure. I originally tried with 1 single departure time with very limited success. Setting all 3 departure times worked better, but it did mean the car tried to be ready to go for the first departure time at 4am (granted it would never be ready to go at 4am, so i've no idea what the purpose of departure time is or what preferred charging times do), meaning it'd try charge in the late evening.

The charging is just stupid. Goes against all logic anyone can put to it, but i'll keep trying to find some happy medium. I went for 5c night rate for a reason.

Is your car online? My app crashes when car goes offline. I contacted support and they gave me following steps which brings it back online and app controls car again:

Ignition on > Press on/off button until the screen switch off
    Menu > Settings > Switch offline to online mode
    Ignition off > Goodbye screen - make sure the online mode is on for the next start
    Leave the vehicle and lock the vehicle completely and let it sit for 10 mins

jonerp wrote: »
    Is your car online? My app crashes when car goes offline. I contacted support and they gave me following steps which brings it back online and app controls car again:

Ignition on > Press on/off button until the screen switch off
    Menu > Settings > Switch offline to online mode
    Ignition off > Goodbye screen - make sure the online mode is on for the next start
    Leave the vehicle and lock the vehicle completely and let it sit for 10 mins

Yup. Gives me the gdpr speil every time I start up and I select online. Everything else "online" works fine.

VWGI customer service response below re Ionity rates. Trying to hide behind a disclaimer is poor in my opinion but not unexpected, it looks like they are now acknowledging that there was an issue but won't do anything about it.....I'm not finished digging yet....

Dear XX,

Thank you for your patience whilst we looked into the below query for you.

We have contacted the relevant department who looks after such queries and they have advised that the We Charge tariffs on our website are correct for Irish Market place.

The previous information which you have mentioned below has since been updated on our website to reflect the new charges.

As with any information we supply online the disclaimer at the end of the page does state the following “ Volkswagen Group Ireland Limited (“VWGI”) believes the specifications and pricing on this website to be accurate and correct at the date of publication. Specifications, pricing, standard equipment, options, fabrics and colours are subject to change without notice by VWGI.”

You can find the new and updated charges by clicking here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

VWGI customer service response below re Ionity rates. Trying to hide behind a disclaimer is poor in my opinion but not unexpected, it looks like they are now acknowledging that there was an issue but won't do anything about it.....I'm not finished digging yet....

They are trying to pour cold water over it so that you dont go all guns blazing with solicitors letters.... thats really the only way they will change direction by the sound of it.

Whether that disclaimer covers them or not is debatable though. It depends on exactly what wording was used earlier. Was it an ongoing committment or did it say they could change it without notice.... if they said they could change it without notice then you'd have to accept that they have now changed it and thats the new price and suck it up.

If they said it was a committment for X years or for 1st edition customer or whatever then you could argue the disclaimer doesnt apply... but you'd need to lawyer up for that! :)

• Advertisement

Looks like anyone with an ID.4 or ID.3 will jump straight to 2.3 when the OTA comes out

"The ID.Software2.2 was an (all-wheel drive only) software update for the ID.4 GTX. The next available software update for the ID.3 will be the ID.Software2.3. You need the ID.Software2.1 as a base for that. Best regards, your ID. Team “

Article on De Welt today about VWs future plans, worth reading...
    7 euros per hour for autonomous driving - this is how VW wants to earn money in the future
    https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article231681663/7-Euro-pro-Stunde-fuer-Autonomes-Fahren-so-will-VW-bald-Geld-verdienen.html

"Instead of deciding on extras before buying a car, customers can then book additional functions by the hour or by the day.
    With autonomous driving, we can imagine that we switch it on by the hour. We assume a price of around seven euros per hour. So if you don't want to drive yourself for three hours, you can do so for 21 euros, ”said Klaus Zellmer, VW's Board Member for Sales. "That makes autonomous driving accessible for everyone - and not just for those who can afford a car with a five-digit surcharge.

When asked when Volkswagen will start offering computer games in the car, he said: “It won't be that long. During the loading breaks, even if they only last 15 minutes, we want to offer customers something.

in the future, ID drivers should be able to easily make their car available as a car sharing vehicle on an hourly basis via an app.

Looks like anyone with an ID.4 or ID.3 will jump straight to 2.3 when the OTA comes out

"The ID.Software2.2 was an (all-wheel drive only) software update for the ID.4 GTX. The next available software update for the ID.3 will be the ID.Software2.3. You need the ID.Software2.1 as a base for that. Best regards, your ID. Team “

7 euros per hour for autonomous driving - this is how VW wants to earn money in the future
    https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article231681663/7-Euro-pro-Stunde-fuer-Autonomes-Fahren-so-will-VW-bald-Geld-verdienen.html

"Instead of deciding on extras before buying a car, customers can then book additional functions by the hour or by the day.
    With autonomous driving, we can imagine that we switch it on by the hour. We assume a price of around seven euros per hour. So if you don't want to drive yourself for three hours, you can do so for 21 euros, ”said Klaus Zellmer, VW's Board Member for Sales. "That makes autonomous driving accessible for everyone - and not just for those who can afford a car with a five-digit surcharge.

When asked when Volkswagen will start offering computer games in the car, he said: “It won't be that long. During the loading breaks, even if they only last 15 minutes, we want to offer customers something.

in the future, ID drivers should be able to easily make their car available as a car sharing vehicle on an hourly basis via an app.

2.2, 2.3, whatever. The change log is all I want to see! No idea of when yet.

The buying extras for the car was publicised a while back. I like the idea (since I don't drive much) but I've no doubt there'll be a catch.

Will the games be free, or a subscription like autonomous driving? :D

The car sharing thing is called WeShare.

I'd imagine this was going to be the way alright but it's unaffordable at that price for a commuter commuting 1 hr each way two hrs total. I wouldn't pay for it. Different if I'm working from home and going away for the weekend but then again, if I'm only driving longer distance a couple of times a month on a long trip I'd probably want to drive myself, this is just extorting people really but the tech should become standard in my opinion because the standard of driving is absolutely appalling and getting worse especially as more and more people use smart phones in their cars.

At that rate above for autonomous driving I'd be as well off on the bus or in a Diesel car the benefits of EV would be completely wiped out at those prices. I might consider a monthly payment though if it was reasonable.

I'd imagine this was going to be the way alright but it's unaffordable at that price for a commuter commuting 1 hr each way two hrs total. I wouldn't pay for it. Different if I'm working from home and going away for the weekend but then again, if I'm only driving longer distance a couple of times a month on a long trip I'd probably want to drive myself, this is just extorting people really but the tech should become standard in my opinion because the standard of driving is absolutely appalling and getting worse especially as more and more people use smart phones in their cars.

At that rate above for autonomous driving I'd be as well off on the bus or in a Diesel car the benefits of EV would be completely wiped out at those prices. I might consider a monthly payment though if it was reasonable.

I imagine there'll be subscription offers as well as an ad hoc rate, similar to we charge

The advantage is that it's autonomous, you don't need to drive the car, it's basically a taxi. So that's the prices you need to compare against

For €20 I could bring myself and my family from Dublin to Cork using the autonomous package, cheaper than the bus :)

I imagine there'll be subscription offers as well as an ad hoc rate, similar to we charge

The advantage is that it's autonomous, you don't need to drive the car, it's basically a taxi. So that's the prices you need to compare against

For €20 I could bring myself and my family from Dublin to Cork using the autonomous package, cheaper than the bus :)

They could go with a mobile phone type contract where you buy the car a lot cheaper and they rape you on monthly charges.

At the end of the day it's just really plain old greed.

If the Greens get their way the Motorway speed limit will be 80 Km/hr and the average speed will be introduced on the motorways and pay per Km driving and at that point I will quit work on mental health grounds and get paid to sit at home and have plenty of time for my Kids and Hobbies, I'd easily fool them on mental health grounds and go on the Sick as I have plenty of posts here to prove I'm a total nut job! :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

Anyone looking for an ID4 first edition?

I’d nearly go for it myself but we really don’t need two SUVs

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/id-4/used-2021-211-volkswagen-id-4-1st-edi-kildare-fpa-202105273158018

fits wrote: »

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/id-4/used-2021-211-volkswagen-id-4-1st-edi-kildare-fpa-202105273158018

Private sale as well

Not the right car for them

I wonder what they didn't like about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Seems the ID 4 is popular in Wexford. Seeing them all day on the roads here. Blue and white

fits wrote: »

Looking to make a few quid on their purchase. Try find that spec for less than 44k now!

Any sign of demo 1sts or are they all gone already too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pad199207 wrote: »
    Seems the ID 4 is popular in Wexford. Seeing them all day on the roads here. Blue and white

There's a grey one registered as a taxi there as well.

Advertisement