Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Can you post a picture of the piece you're talking about? I thought there was a cupholder in the furthest forward cubby?

Underneath that, there's a gap of floor space between the dash and centre console

I vaguely remember on the ID.3 that space has sides so you can store stuff.

On the ID.4 there's no sides so anything you put there will just slide out when you go around a sharp bend

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Nice, exactly what I was looking for, might get one when payday rolls arouns :)

€21 + €23 to deliver ($5 refund after you purchase). Ugh. Screw that.

€21 + €23 to deliver ($5 refund after you purchase). Ugh. Screw that.

Ah, didn't check the delivery, not sure I'm willing to pay more than the item's worth in delivery charges for what is basically a plastic tray

I seem to remember a few folks on the ID.3 and E-Niro threads had 3D printers, might see if anyone is interested in a bit of side work :)

I'm still surprised at the efficiency of my ID.4, I took a spin on the M1 today and decided to try and get a more realistic consumption figure for motorway driving

I reset the trip meter at Applegreen M1 Lusk (J5), drove a couple more exits to J7, turned and went back again
    Travel Assist in D mode all the way except the turnaround
    Speed set to 110km/h except when overtaking trucks I went up to 120km/h

I managed 19.5kWh/100km when I got back to the start of the loop, albeit over a short distance of 25km

Pretty good result I would say, works out to just short of 400km of range at 110km/h
    Obviously that'll drop off sharply at higher speeds but I tend to stick to 110 anyway as the car is a good bit quieter and it's a more relaxed drive

Plugged in for another charging test now, starting at 21% and charging to 30%.
    Then overnight charge to 80%, in theory
    Let's see how it's doing tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm still surprised at the efficiency of my ID.4, I took a spin on the M1 today and decided to try and get a more realistic consumption figure for motorway driving

I reset the trip meter at Applegreen M1 Lusk (J5), drove a couple more exits to J7, turned and went back again

I managed 19.5kWh/100km when I got back to the start of the loop, albeit over a short distance of 25km

Pretty good result I would say, works out to just short of 400km of range at 110km/h
    Obviously that'll drop off sharply at higher speeds but I tend to stick to 110 anyway as the car is a good bit quieter and it's a more relaxed drive

After 4500km of mixed driving, including a decent amount of motorway, I'm sitting at 16.9 kWh/100km average. Not bad at all. Range pushing out to 440/450km now, after being being ~400 previously. Better weather I guess.

• Advertisement

After 4500km of mixed driving, including a decent amount of motorway, I'm sitting at 16.9 kWh/100km average. Not bad at all. Range pushing out to 440/450km now, after being being ~400 previously. Better weather I guess.

Yeah I'm sitting around a similar level, I would do a fair mix of motorway and urban driving. That was part of the reason I did the test today, I wanted to try to get a range estimate based on motorway driving only

It'll be very interesting to see how the range drops in winter. Hopefully by then the charging timers will be sorted so you can plug in the car overnight and it'll pull power from the charger to preheat the cabin and battery. That alone should give you back a big chunk of the range loss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Does the front VW logo light up?

pad199207 wrote: »
    Does the front VW logo light up?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

AFAIK that's not allowed in Europe, can get it in the US.

My rear tail light has been creaking over the weekend, gave it a gentle push and clicked back in place.
    Probably the warmest weekend so far this year, hopefully won't be a problem going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cannco253 wrote: »
    My rear tail light has been creaking over the weekend, gave it a gentle push and clicked back in place.
    Probably the warmest weekend so far this year, hopefully won't be a problem going forward.

Thats a well known problem I think. The heat causes expansion and it moves.
    It will continue to be a problem until they provide a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Stopped into Gorey Ionity last week as my first quick use/test of public charging since getting my car. Am I correct in saying there is no way to see the charge speed when using Ionity with an ID.4? The unit didnt display the speed or much detailed info, do I need obd reader and app to see it? I could work out the approx speed but seems strange for this not to be displayed easily on the screen somewhere, maybe I missed it.

Yep it's a known problem, but hopefully not a big one. I wonder do ID.3s have the same issue?

There was mention of the expansion due to the rubber used and additional clips being suggested, but I haven't seen any real solution to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

No.

I was thinking that. I also see in America that the rear matrix lights are not allowed

Those with we connect setup, what happens when you go to settings, connect we connect? When I do it I get a QR code to setup my we connect app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

dave oc wrote: »
    Stopped into Gorey Ionity last week as my first quick use/test of public charging since getting my car. Am I correct in saying there is no way to see the charge speed when using Ionity with an ID.4? The unit didnt display the speed or much detailed info, do I need obd reader and app to see it? I could work out the approx speed but seems strange for this not to be displayed easily on the screen somewhere, maybe I missed it.

Yes there is no way at the moment of seeing charging speed in the car without an obd reader. Hopefully VW will address this.

The Ionity at Gorey and Cashel also do not show the kW output of the charge point. But the two locations at Kill do.
    In my ID.3 I just look at the km /minute shown. If it says 6 I am getting about 60kW, 9 about 90kW etc. Just seems to match up with my driving.

Alternatively the machine will tell you total kWh received and how long you have been charging. So if you have received 30kWh in 30 mins then your average has been 60kW.

Those with we connect setup, what happens when you go to settings, connect we connect? When I do it I get a QR code to setup my we connect app.

After you click "connect to We connect" it should bring up the QR code screen.
    https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/connectivity/we-connect/we-connect-start.html

Here’s how to activate We Connect Start in a few easy steps
    1. Connect to We Connect.
    You can simply connect to We Connect in your vehicle’s infotainment system and follow the steps to activate We Connect Start.
    1.1 Navigate to Connect to We Connect either using the assistant: Use online -> We Connect (globe symbol) -> Connect to We Connect or manually via: Settings -> Connect to We Connect
    1.2 Click Connect
    1.3. Scan the code to download and install the We Connect ID. app

You can simply connect to We Connect in your vehicle’s infotainment system and follow the steps to activate We Connect Start.
    1.1 Navigate to Connect to We Connect either using the assistant: Use online -> We Connect (globe symbol) -> Connect to We Connect or manually via: Settings -> Connect to We Connect
    1.2 Click Connect

Does it still present the QR code if you've already setup we connect? Wondering might this be contributing to my inability to start charge from the app

Did you get an email from <we.connect.shop@volkswagen.de> the first time you tried to set it up?

Your functions and services have been activated

Dear xyz

You have successfully linked your vehicle QWERTY to your Volkswagen ID.

The Volkswagen We mobile online services and functions you ordered have now been activated for you.

Details of your order

Order date: XX​-03​-2021
    Article description: We Connect Start
    Article period: 3 years
    Price: 0.00 EUR

Enjoy the ride.

You can find more information here or in your We Connect app or We Connect ID. app.

Have you tried to call the Digital Service Team (call us on our direct line 1800-930066), they answer and you get to speak to a person unlike VWGI who never answer the phone and only answer emails when they feel like it...

The car won't give you the charging speed in kW unfortunately but if you go to Vehicle > Charging it should display the charging speed in km/min if you're on a DC charger or km/h if you're on an AC one

To get from km/min to kW I think you can your average consumption

Say 6km/min * 60 = 360km/h
    17kWh/100km * 360km/h = 61.2kW

VW didn't want to give the charging speed in kW because they thought it was too complicated for customers :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The car won't give you the charging speed in kW unfortunately but if you go to Vehicle > Charging it should display the charging speed in km/min if you're on a DC charger or km/h if you're on an AC one

To get from km/min to kW I think you can your average consumption

Say 6km/min * 60 = 360km/h
    17kWh/100km * 360km/h = 61.2kW

VW didn't want to give the charging speed in kW because they thought it was too complicated for customers :(

I do it as follows

Start charge at 20%, max charge is 80%. Car says 6 hours to charge so

80%-20% = 60% x 58KW = 34.8KW ÷ 6 = 5.4KW/H.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Ok thanks the replies, looks like it’s a bit of a calc to get the charging rate. I know VW are trying to keep it simple to ease people into ev’s but it would be very easy to have a toggle buried in the menu to turn on more technical data/units etc for people that do want it.

Is there any page/site/app to give official feedback to VW to request features for the car software in future updates? Surely the dev team can look at customer feedback and add features if enough people are asking for it.

Ok thanks the replies, looks like it’s a bit of a calc to get the charging rate. I know VW are trying to keep it simple to ease people into ev’s but it would be very easy to have a toggle buried in the menu to turn on more technical data/units etc for people that do want it.

Is there any page/site/app to give official feedback to VW to request features for the car software in future updates? Surely the dev team can look at customer feedback and add features if enough people are asking for it.

Unfortunately no, the main method of feedback seems to be via facebook

I think the dealers can submit a problem report or something to VW, so you might be able to do it that way

I heard somewhere that it was Thomas Ulbrich who made the call on not showing kW. He was basically in charge of all MEB development until recently and is now board member in charge of passenger car development

If it's our word versus his I doubt we'll win, but hopefully if enough people ask for it then it'll swing his opinion

Looks like VW is scaling back it's EV company car plans

https://www.electrive.com/2021/06/14/volkswagen-managers-must-wait-for-electric-cars/

I wonder is it down to parts shortages or unexpected demand?

My guess is the former since you don't convert a factory over to product 330,000 MEB cars per year if you weren't anticipating to sell them all

1.2 Click Connect
    Touching the 4g(globe) icon just shows me the notifications drop down.

No one can answer me what the car shows when you enter the "connect we connect" via settings after you've already we connect with the car??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Touching the 4g(globe) icon just shows me the notifications drop down.

No one can answer me what the car shows when you enter the "connect we connect" via settings after you've already we connect with the car??

I'll look at it tomorrow on my ID3 but I'm 90% sure it shows a QR code again.

Update #1, car charged in fits and starts up to 30%. I reckon it went into deep sleep mode and stopped charging. It probably woke up when I walked nearby with the key and restarted charging

It's at 30% and charging away now when it shouldn't be. I'll leave it go for a while and see where it is tomorrow morning

KCross wrote: »
    Thats a well known problem I think. The heat causes expansion and it moves.
    It will continue to be a problem until they provide a solution.

Feck, I actually have this too. Thought I read about a fix but guess I was wrong!

Feck, I actually have this too. Thought I read about a fix but guess I was wrong!

I've mentioned it to my dealer. Perhaps getting it fixed (among other things) next week, but didn't get the impression they'd do anything about it other than look at it. I'll see next week

• Advertisement

Update #1, car charged in fits and starts up to 30%. I reckon it went into deep sleep mode and stopped charging. It probably woke up when I walked nearby with the key and restarted charging

It's at 30% and charging away now when it shouldn't be. I'll leave it go for a while and see where it is tomorrow morning

Update #2, the car only charged to 41% overnight. Going to have to manually charge for the last bit of the night rate

Advertisement