Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I came across this webpage on the VWGI website, hadn't seen it before
    https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/owners-and-users/software-update.html

As it's ID.3 only it must have been for the 2.1 upgrade so no mention of the first OTA update for the ID.3/ID.4
    The radio silence from VW on the 2.3 update is disappointing, at this stage they should have made some comment on when or if it will be rolled out.

Are software updates mandatory?
    Volkswagen recommends that all customers carry out the upcoming software updates promptly and regularly, ensuring you benefit from the additional and improved functions.

Is the manufacturer guarantee invalid if I have not received the update?
    No, the manufacturer's guarantee is not invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Is this the place to ask about chargers for the home? I know around the back of my house there is a standard outdoor plug socket. Could this be adapted for charger, while keeping a normal plug socket?

I don't have a garage and suspect I'd need to run a long cable from the back of the house to the front for charging.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

forumdedum wrote: »
    Is this the place to ask about chargers for the home? I know around the back of my house there is a standard outdoor plug socket. Could this be adapted for charger, while keeping a normal plug socket?

Technically yes, but it wouldnt be great in that it is unlikely to have the right size cable to offer any decent level of power to cover a 77kWh EV like the ID.4.

Normally home charge points have a dedicated circuit back to the consumer unit using a 6mm² cable so that it can handle a 32A draw for several hours.

That outdoor socket is likely to only be able to give you granny cable levels of power.... i.e. 10A.... 3-4 times longer to charge the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

forumdedum wrote: »

I don't have a garage and suspect I'd need to run a long cable from the back of the house to the front for charging.

Thanks

You're probably better off looking in this thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057839190

To answer your question, not really. The outdoor socket is rated for 13A max, a typical home charger for an EV will be between 16A and 32A

You can use a high capacity extension lead (16A) to plug the granny cable into the outdoor socket, so you can charge that way. Not really a long term solution as you'll have an extension lead sitting about, and the socket can get quite warm from having a constant high power load

Best to get a proper home charger installed if you can. This can be installed from either the fuse board or the meter box (within certain conditions)

You'll probably want to get a 32A (7kW) charger if your house will support it. It'll be on it's own circuit with a dedicated circuit breaker, nothing else can run off of it

If you have a heat pump or electric shower, you should look at a load sensing charger which will adjust the charging power based on the current usage of your house so as to prevent the house's grid connection being overloaded

You'll need an electrician to do all of this, especially if you want to avail of the €600 grant. There's a few companies around including VW who will install the charger for you and do a fixed price package. It can be better value however to get a quote from several other electricians as those packages can be pretty expensive

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone got a 3d printer, or know places who 3d print for you?

https://www.etsy.com/YuriGoods/listing/921184376/volkswagen-id4-storage-bin-stl-file-only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but if you have a Rolec charger then you could easily fit a Shelly WiFi relay to it (around £15 on Amazon) and then you would have the capacity to use a timer on the charger itself rather than rely on the car. Presume you could fit to other models too - example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F0V4rBPP9k

I have loads of these fitted in the house for smart lighting and they are brilliant little things.

Orebro wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned already but if you have a Rolec charger then you could easily fit a Shelly WiFi relay to it (around £15 on Amazon) and then you would have the capacity to use a timer on the charger itself rather than rely on the car. Presume you could fit to other models too - example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F0V4rBPP9k

I have loads of these fitted in the house for smart lighting and they are brilliant little things.

Clever... i've 3 sonoff basics sitting in front of me waiting to be flashed and used somewhere. I wouldn't fancy messing with an EV charging though, regardless of what power the pins are pulling. Maybe if the next software update does nothing to address scheduled charging I'll look into it.

This is effectively how i've got my home heating setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

You're probably better off looking in this thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057839190

To answer your question, not really. The outdoor socket is rated for 13A max, a typical home charger for an EV will be between 16A and 32A

You can use a high capacity extension lead (16A) to plug the granny cable into the outdoor socket, so you can charge that way. Not really a long term solution as you'll have an extension lead sitting about, and the socket can get quite warm from having a constant high power load

Best to get a proper home charger installed if you can. This can be installed from either the fuse board or the meter box (within certain conditions)

You'll probably want to get a 32A (7kW) charger if your house will support it. It'll be on it's own circuit with a dedicated circuit breaker, nothing else can run off of it

If you have a heat pump or electric shower, you should look at a load sensing charger which will adjust the charging power based on the current usage of your house so as to prevent the house's grid connection being overloaded

You'll need an electrician to do all of this, especially if you want to avail of the €600 grant. There's a few companies around including VW who will install the charger for you and do a fixed price package. It can be better value however to get a quote from several other electricians as those packages can be pretty expensive

Thanks for the thread link, I will read that.

I do intend to pay a pro to install a proper charger running off it's own circuit. That's very informative re load sensing. Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

Anyone got a 3d printer, or know places who 3d print for you?

https://www.etsy.com/YuriGoods/listing/921184376/volkswagen-id4-storage-bin-stl-file-only

Let me know how you get on with this, I would be interested in picking this up myself, maybe if we had a few orders it would be worthwhile for someone to run a small batch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No one can answer me what the car shows when you enter the "connect we connect" via settings after you've already we connect with the car??

It shows the QR code again which just takes you to a we charge site with your VIN as a parameter in the URL.

Was talking to WeConnect last night and they raised a ticket for me about the app not being able to start/stop charge in the car. They replied today, and said "that the We Connect ID. app is not compatible with third party chargers.". What a load of horsesh1t!

Last I checked the app is for the car, not my chargePoint. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

Was talking to WeConnect last night and they raised a ticket for me about the app not being able to start/stop charge in the car. They replied today, and said "that the We Connect ID. app is not compatible with third party chargers.". What a load of horsesh1t!

Last I checked the app is for the car, not my chargePoint. :rolleyes:

What a BS reply. How long did it take their think-tank to come up with that excuse to give them some breathing room until they can can manage their global software issues with the ID’s

kop-end wrote: »
    What a BS reply. How long did it take their think-tank to come up with that excuse to give them some breathing room until they can can manage their global software issues with the ID’s

Oh he pretty much came up with it on the phone, the raised a ticket to get someone else to agree. I emailed back saying it's not an acceptable response, and try harder next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Oh he pretty much came up with it on the phone, the raised a ticket to get someone else to agree. I emailed back saying it's not an acceptable response, and try harder next time.

I've been fighting with We Connect since I got the car. The We Charge section of the app has never worked. They kept sending me copy and paste instructions that the "top team" had come up with. They kept closing the ticket when things weren't working. I kept opening a new one with a reference to the previous ones. Nothing worked.

I lost the head when they pasted instructions for my ID.4.... I drive an ID.3. I asked for an e-mail for the person in charge. They ignored this and closed the ticket.

The dealer has started a DISS report on the system and VW Ireland have been less than impressed with the replies from We Connect that I've copied to them. The fight continues.

Bottom line is that We Connect support are useless and the app is rubbish.

When you talk about the We Charge section of the app not working, do you mean the Charging at Home section using the VW wallbox? I haven't seen any reviews of the different VW branded chargers good or bad.

The app is very poor but allows me to stop/start the charge from the My Volkswagen section once I've the car plugged in and no scheduled timers set on the car, but some people seem to have problems even with this.

My experience of the whole lot of them (the dealer/VWGI and We Connect) on the Ionity issue has been like watching the Spanish team play tiki taka, everyone wants to get involved but nobody does anything.

Still waiting for VWGI to come back to me, maybe by the end of the Euros....

I've been fighting with We Connect since I got the car. The We Charge section of the app has never worked. They kept sending me copy and paste instructions that the "top team" had come up with. They kept closing the ticket when things weren't working. I kept opening a new one with a reference to the previous ones. Nothing worked.

I lost the head when they pasted instructions for my ID.4.... I drive an ID.3. I asked for an e-mail for the person in charge. They ignored this and closed the ticket.

The dealer has started a DISS report on the system and VW Ireland have been less than impressed with the replies from We Connect that I've copied to them. The fight continues.

Bottom line is that We Connect support are useless and the app is rubbish.

I'm still unable to register for any of the We Charge plans. Apparently the technical team is working on it

I must email them again to stop them closing the ticket, if they're left for a certain time without updates then it usually gets closed automatically

Does anyone regularly use the granny charger that comes with the ID.4?

I'll need to use it over the summer and am wondering how waterproof the 'brick' is if outdoors - I can see it's rated IP65/67 on the back so should be enough? Does it need to be kept off the ground so it wouldn't be sitting in any pooled water if plugged into a weatherproof 13a uncoiled extension lead?

Do most users select the 'reduce AC charge current' to drop it down to 8amps just to be on the safe side?

cannco253 wrote: »

I'll need to use it over the summer and am wondering how waterproof the 'brick' is if outdoors - I can see it's rated IP65/67 on the back so should be enough? Does it need to be kept off the ground so it wouldn't be sitting in any pooled water if plugged into a weatherproof 13a uncoiled extension lead?

Do most users select the 'reduce AC charge current' to drop it down to 8amps just to be on the safe side?

Interesting that they have different ratings, I wonder does the lower rating count for the plugs and the higher one for the charger brick

Taking the lower IP65 rating as worst case, here's what it's protected against
    Protection against low-pressure jets (6.3 mm) of directed water from any angle (limited ingress permitted with no harmful effects).

So it should be okay as long as it isn't sitting in a puddle of water. If there's any way you can sit it on something to keep it off the ground then you should be fine

I would try to make sure the mains socket it's plugged into is weatherproof or indoors, as that's the most likely place for water entry. The Type 2 plug is weatherproof once it's pluigged into the car

If you're using this for a holiday home, then it's probably worth running at reduced current (8A) for the first while to see if the mains socket starts getting hot. If it's cool, then you can try stepping up to 10A and see how it performs

Obviously if you're plugging into somewhere you don't own you should seek the owners approval first. Try to make it clear the charger won't draw more power than an electric kettle, as some people I've spoken to thought I was talking about a much higher power charger

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

cannco253 wrote: »

I haven't installed a proper charger yet and I rarely use public chargers.
    I commute 160km round trip 4-5 times a week using the granny charger overnight. I don't reduce the current.

I can position the charging brick inside my garage, avoiding the weather. If you're concerned about the wet, you could put a bin liner over it or something. It doesn't seem to overheat even after 24 hours use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'm still unable to register for any of the We Charge plans. Apparently the technical team is working on it

I must email them again to stop them closing the ticket, if they're left for a certain time without updates then it usually gets closed automatically

Yup, this is the issue I've had from the start. After I select a plan and confirm, I get the dropped ice cream.

They've closed tickets when I'm in full flow with them. :D

The dealer has opened a ticket with them, backed by VWGI, and I keep getting mails telling me that the the senior technical team are working on it. No change in the app though.

Apparently the customer service team are based in Greece, so don't be expecting German efficiency. :D

Yup, this is the issue I've had from the start. After I select a plan and confirm, I get the dropped ice cream.

They've closed tickets when I'm in full flow with them. :D

The dealer has opened a ticket with them, backed by VWGI, and I keep getting mails telling me that the the senior technical team are working on it. No change in the app though.

Apparently the customer service team are based in Greece, so don't be expecting German efficiency. :D

Oh I've worked with German software developers before, I'm much happier being looked after by the Greeks, they're at least willing to accept that they could have made a mistake :rolleyes:

Did another consumption test today (like I need an excuse to go for a drive :)) in more typical Irish weather

48km from M1 J2 (Dublin Airport) to J7 (City North hotel) and back, travel assist set to 120, D and Comfort mode selected
    I reset the trip meter when I got onto the M1 and took the reading back at J2 so any slow driving up to the motorway should be discounted
    Heating set to 20C, no AC, no seat or steering wheel heating
    Some traffic, I ended up behind a Translink bus overtaking 2 trucks at 100km/h before I managed to get past him :mad:

Despite that, I managed an average speed of 111km/h, and consumption of 19.8kWh/100km
    Projected range 388km

Not bad for a slab fronted SUV :D

Quality response from WeCharge. Ignored the "it works for others on 3rd party chargers" bit of my response.
    Regarding your request, please be informed that you can pair the connected wallbox models from Volkswagen Group Charging GmbH (Elli) to the We Connect ID. app.

Furthermore, we would like to inform you, that in case the wallbox is from a third party provider, it can not be paired to the We Connect ID. app, instead you will need to download the application of the third party provider of your wallbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Quality response from WeCharge. Ignored the "it works for others on 3rd party chargers" bit of my response.

Have you deleted the charging locations from the car? App won't start a charge for me unless I delete the location. No idea why. I've given up on the scheduled charge on the car and am just using the app to start a charge now.

Have you deleted the charging locations from the car? App won't start a charge for me unless I delete the location. No idea why. I've given up on the scheduled charge on the car and am just using the app to start a charge now.

Factory reset the head unit today. Charging location didn't get removed but all the other settings did. First good sign was the digital manual told me I've an update to install so I installed that. Seems to be a success.

Plugged in at home and of course the car started charging immediately so I tried the app (which I had to setup again after the factory reset). Successfully stopped charging about a second after I toggled it.

Those wecharge boys are worth everything VW are paying them

Factory reset the head unit today. Charging location didn't get removed but all the other settings did. First good sign was the digital manual told me I've an update to install so I installed that. Seems to be a success.

Plugged in at home and of course the car started charging immediately so I tried the app (which I had to setup again after the factory reset). Successfully stopped charging about a second after I toggled it.

Those wecharge boys are worth everything VW are paying them

I'm wondering if this would fix my we charge issues, I'm guessing you needed to reconfigure all your preferences and saved locations after the reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Maybe they are referring to being able to see the state of the home vw charger/charging state in the we.connect app..

I'm wondering if this would fix my we charge issues, I'm guessing you needed to reconfigure all your preferences and saved locations after the reset?

I'll have a look once the kids go down. I think it might be anything that's setup via the configuration wizard. Radio stations certainly got reset. Wifi was reset. This is also the only way to remove the car from the app.

• Advertisement

All locations are removed. Home, previous, favourite, suggested etc.

My manual is installed, but in German.....

Edit. You can change the language in the manuals settings menu.

Advertisement