Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

All locations are removed. Home, previous, favourite, suggested etc.

My manual is installed, but in German.....

Edit. You can change the language in the manuals settings menu.

Yep that happened to me before.

Latest VWGI response re Ionity pricing below

disclaimer....whatever...So activating the WeCharge account in the app includes accepting the t&c's in the app and therefore the rates. Whatever was displayed on the website is irrelevant if I'm reading this correctly.

Has anyone signed up to any of the subscription plans so far?

Dear XYZ,

Thank you for your patience whilst we investigated your query further.

We have reviewed your complaint with the Volkswagen team here and also discussed the issue directly with the We Charge team in Germany. They have confirmed that the IONITY tariff information currently shown in the We Connect ID. app and on the Volkswagen.ie website is correct for the Irish market, and that the information previously shown was indicative of the charging rates available to customers in selected markets only but is not reflective of the tariff in every European country. Due to local variances in energy costs, taxation and operational costs We Charge do not have a standardised offer for all markets and therefore we are bound by the rates agreed with IONITY in Ireland.

Unfortunately when a new product is being brought to the market it is not always possible to have all details fully finalised in advance, and some information may need to be updated once the vehicle is launched. This is the reason that we have referred to the website disclaimer in our previous email. When your We Charge account was activated and the terms & conditions of the contract were accepted, the correct tariff information for Ireland was shown in the app, and this is the basis of your contract with We Charge.

We understand your frustration with this issue and apologise for the delay in responding to you, but we wanted to explore all avenues with the We Charge team to find a solution. Unfortunately in this instance, it is not possible to offer the previously published tariff on your We Charge account.

We thank you for taking the time to write to us with your feedback, all of which will be duly noted. We are sorry we are unable to offer a more favourable outcome on this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ozreb

Hi,
    Looking for help/advice. I'm thinking of getting an ID.4 at the moment. Based in Dublin so a small bit of city driving and also motorway to Cork return once every two weeks. Looks like I can get circa 350km on the 77kw battery at 80% so should make it there in one charge. I'd then only have a 3 pin plug available in Cork when I'm working from there. How much range would that get me to overnight? Would I need to sit at an ESB charge point to get it back up to charge to be able to drive around Cork or get back to Dublin?

Also, is bringing the battery down below 20% regularly or charging above 80% very damaging? If there's battery degradation, I wouldn't make it in one charge and having to fast charge more regularly accentuating the problem.

Appreciate any advice people can give. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

Ozreb wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking for help/advice. I'm thinking of getting an ID.4 at the moment. Based in Dublin so a small bit of city driving and also motorway to Cork return once every two weeks. Looks like I can get circa 350km on the 77kw battery at 80% so should make it there in one charge. I'd then only have a 3 pin plug available in Cork when I'm working from there. How much range would that get me to overnight? Would I need to sit at an ESB charge point to get it back up to charge to be able to drive around Cork or get back to Dublin?

Also, is bringing the battery down below 20% regularly or charging above 80% very damaging? If there's battery degradation, I wouldn't make it in one charge and having to fast charge more regularly accentuating the problem.

I have an ID.3 but on any long run it's nice to start with a 100% battery. Providing the trip is fairly soon after filling up it will do the battery no harm. (There is a reserve built in so the battery will never be 100% full or empty) Yet I wouldn't leave the car for a long period with a high or low charge in battery.

Your Cork run has loads of options for charging, and this will depend on the temp etc. A 10 min Ionity stop for example may be all you might need if you have a bit of destination charging.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hi,

Hi there.
    My last long motorway run I averaged 23kWh/100km. This would equate to 334km of total range (100% of the battery). Dublin to Cork should be doable without charging, but certainly start at 100% battery. As eagerv said, there's no issue with charging to 100% or depleting the battery fully, but the sweat spot to store a car battery is between 20% and 80% state of charge. Doing a long drive tomorrow? Charge to 100% and don't even think about it.

Regarding the granny cable, you'll get ~2kW from the granny cable, meaning a good 30+ hours to charge from 20% to 100%. If you can get to a 22kW public charger (slow charger) you'll do that same charge in about 6 hours. A home charger would do it in about 9 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hi,

So a 3 pins will give you about 2kW into the battery. So 2kW * 12 hours gives you 24kWh into the battery or around 30%. Probably about 100-125km of range

If there's an ESB AC charger nearby then that's probably a better option, you can charge at 11kW so you should get a full chnarge overnight

If you're staying with relatives or in a holiday home you own, then another pssibility is to install a 7kW charger there. You can get chargers for under €300 now and if the installation is simple then it can be done quite cheaply. You won't get the grant, but if it isn't too expensive then having your own destination charger could be very handy

Failing all that, I would personally do a quick top up en route to reduce my reliance on a desintation charger. Ionity Cashel is fairly well placed, but it apparently can be ICEd a fair bit. There's a couple of 50kW units around Cork which may also be useful

Regarding battery health, in general you should keep the battery between 20% and 80%. However if you need the extra range then it's no problem to go to 100%. This is probably better than a deep discharge of the battery

In general the worry about going to 100% is leaving the car sitting there for a while. If you charge to 100% overnight then use the car the next day, that ususually isn't a problem. If you left the car sitting for 2 weeks at 100%, that's bad for the battery

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

I do Limerick-Dublin and back each week and no problems.

50kw units in Portlaoise, give it a blast there if you have time and you'd be fine.

I do Limerick-Dublin and back each week and no problems.

50kw units in Portlaoise, give it a blast there if you have time and you'd be fine.

Going the other way is a bit of a pain from the looks of it. Cashel is the last chance saloon from a HPC standpoint (and a detour from Limerick)

All locations are removed. Home, previous, favourite, suggested etc.

My manual is installed, but in German.....

Edit. You can change the language in the manuals settings menu.

In addition, your vehicle settings are removed. Door openings, convenience windows, consumption history etc

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Going the other way is a bit of a pain from the looks of it. Cashel is the last chance saloon from a HPC standpoint (and a detour from Limerick)
    well, you'd pass the 50kw units in Portlaoise again
    but there are also ionity chargers in Kill, both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭boccy23

Not sure where to post it, so thought I'd stick with what car I have.

Does anyone know anything about Newmotion or Fastned?

Electric vehicle charge points nationally, main brands:
    ESB, NewMotion, IONITY and Fastned

I have a work car and had a DCI Fuel card. They are now offering an EV version, REV Radius EV, which has the above 4 mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

boccy23 wrote: »

I have a work car and had a DCI Fuel card. They are now offering an EV version, REV Radius EV, which has the above 4 mentioned.

Like you have a DCI card for work so have emailed them for further details.

NewMotion and Fastned have no chargers in Ireland and no concrete plans to open any in the near future

The card will cover you for ESB and Ionity which is about 90% of the fast chargers in Ireland. You might not be able to use EasyGo or other private vendors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭boccy23

NewMotion and Fastned have no chargers in Ireland and no concrete plans to open any in the near future

The card will cover you for ESB and Ionity which is about 90% of the fast chargers in Ireland. You might not be able to use EasyGo or other private vendors

Thanks raisin. I was wondering if they would have access to private vendors alright, such as on business parks or industrial sites. Will ask the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

If I remember correctly newmotion was acquired by Shell long long time ago.

Just got this email back from Fastned UK, I asked them about possible locations in Ireland.

Dear xyz,

Thank you for your message and for your interest in Fastned. Unfortunately, we cannot say where our next stations will be built or opened, or discuss plans to expand to other countries.

We have published this in the past, often with the result that construction has been made difficult and delayed by external parties. In order to make the introduction as smooth and quick as possible, we decided not to announce our arriving stations. As soon as a station is ready for operation or as soon as an expansion to another country is confirmed, it will be published in the Fastned app and on our location page. We also make it known on Twitter and Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

I might be wrong in this but if you had any say in the decision on what card to use then the EasyGo offer may suit better. I am also looking at it and it seems to give you access to all the ESB, EasyGo and Circle K chargers from one fob, I think Ionity may also be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jonerp

I have an Evbox Elvi home charger with Smappee load management. When I charge my ID4 at any level of SOC it charges for ten minutes or so at 7.4Kw and then drops to 4.6 Kw. This happens even if I have nothing else on and the load on my house is low. I have been on to customer service and they say it’s the car. Yesterday I travelled and returned with 20% SOC. I have a journey today also so I plugged in before 10pm and it charged all night at 4.6kw and after 9.5 hours it’s at 78% SOC with a further estimated 4 hours left until 100% charge. Are people getting the full 7.5Kw from their home chargers, at least when battery is low

jonerp wrote: »
    I have an Evbox Elvi home charger with Smappee load management. When I charge my ID4 at any level of SOC it charges for ten minutes or so at 7.4Kw and then drops to 4.6 Kw. This happens even if I have nothing else on and the load on my house is low. I have been on to customer service and they say it’s the car. Yesterday I travelled and returned with 20% SOC. I have a journey today also so I plugged in before 10pm and it charged all night at 4.6kw and after 9.5 hours it’s at 78% SOC with a further estimated 4 hours left until 100% charge. Are people getting the full 7.5Kw from their home chargers, at least when battery is low

Do you have charging timers set up on the car? If so I'd recommend disabling them as the car seems to use some strange algorithm to average the charging speed which consistently fails

Other than that I've consistently gotten 7kW when I've got the timers disabled.

A quick check would be to plug into another 7kW charger and see if it gets full speed. That'll tell you if it's the charger or the car

A lot of these load managing chargers have a current limit you can set. If it's less than 32A then you won't get full speed

Do you have charging timers set up on the car? If so I'd recommend disabling them as the car seems to use some strange algorithm to average the charging speed which consistently fails

Other than that I've consistently gotten 7kW when I've got the timers disabled.

A quick check would be to plug into another 7kW charger and see if it gets full speed. That'll tell you if it's the charger or the car

A lot of these load managing chargers have a current limit you can set. If it's less than 32A then you won't get full speed

Thanks. I have no timers set and the box is set to 32A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thanks. I have no timers set and the box is set to 32A.

Do you have a location set in the vehicle menu?

KCross wrote: »
    Do you have a location set in the vehicle menu?

No locations set. Tried scheduled charging and when it didn’t work I deleted location.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No locations set. Tried scheduled charging and when it didn’t work I deleted location.

And “Reduced AC charging” is also in off position?

Sounds like it’s the cars fault so. Might be worth trying another AC charger just to rule out the Elvi.

KCross wrote: »
    And “Reduced AC charging” is also in off position?

Sounds like it’s the cars fault so. Might be worth trying another AC charger just to rule out the Elvi.

Careful with which charger you use, you'll need to try a 7kW unit to make sure it's pulling maximum current

Using an ECars AC unit will pull 11kW on 3 phase, so only 3.6kW per phase. Not enough to give you definitive proof

The dealership you bought it from might have some 7kW units for charging their cars, probably worth a try?

Does anyone else find their ID.4 difficult to park. Since I got the car I feel like I'm parking like a learner driver

I'm sure it's down to a combination of not being used to the car, the ID.4 being bigger than the Leaf and general paranoia about scratches

But for all the cameras and sensors I seem to have a lot more trouble getting the car straight in a parking space than I did before

Having said all that, getting out of a space has never been easier, the turning circle is just excellent :D

Careful with which charger you use, you'll need to try a 7kW unit to make sure it's pulling maximum current

Using an ECars AC unit will pull 11kW on 3 phase, so only 3.6kW per phase. Not enough to give you definitive proof

The dealership you bought it from might have some 7kW units for charging their cars, probably worth a try?

I have used a 7kW charger at work and it doesn’t drop so I don’t think it’s the car.

I have used a 7kW charger at work and it doesn’t drop so I don’t think it’s the car.

Very much sounds like you've a location set in the car. If it's been cleared, I'd almost suggest factory resetting the head unit. You'll lose radio stations, navigation history and favorites, consumption history, door/window etc settings, weconnect connection, but it might help.

That rules out car and cable. You can try the factory reset if you want but it's sounding more like the charger

If it makes you feel better, I'm having the opposite problem with my Zappi and EO Mini. I tried charging the Leaf and ID.4 in parallel and the ID.4 on the Zappi should have been dialled back to 12A but instead was pulling full power.

Both were merrily pulling 40A through a 32A circuit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Further to this here are the details, will actually cost more than using the standard cards and apps from esb etc.
    REV Card Information.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭crassusg

Hi all just wondering if anyone has managed to take delivery of one of the non 1st edition models yet ?

Advertisement