Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

fits wrote: »
    Well we are with same dealer and ordered at same time - both versions of tour models. Dealer said he’d update me soon.

Yep, me and dave oc ordered from the same dealer around the same time

I'm not trying to demoralise you, I just don't want people getting their hopes up too much when they see other folks getting their cars from the same batch. There could still be a few weeks in the difference

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well constantly checking for updates ain’t going to speed it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mines a build week of 30, so long way to go yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Yep I really had to push the dealer to get the car delivered but not sure why, I knew it had arrived on the same boat as the_amazing_raisin. It was in NVD in Baldonnell for nearly 2 weeks extra, but as soon I started putting pressure on them it magically turned up at the dealer :rolleyes:

Its an amazing car though and well worth the wait!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Forgot my phone charger when visiting family. Using the car to charge it now. Possibly not the most efficient method.

Did someone say there's a limit on the car running without anyone in the drivers seat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

robbie_63 wrote: »
    I don't think you can really compare an ID4 with a Tesla though, totally different brand positions.

This jumped out of me, because this is where the 3 should be, the mass market 35,000 dollar car.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

Forgot my phone charger when visiting family. Using the car to charge it now. Possibly not the most efficient method.

Did someone say there's a limit on the car running without anyone in the drivers seat?

I think I seen on one of IDFurkan’s YouTube videos that he used a heavy bag on his seat when he got out to test the external lights.

kop-end wrote: »
    I think I seen on one of IDFurkan’s YouTube videos that he used a heavy bag on his seat when he got out to test the external lights.

If you put about 15kg of weight on the seat then it thinks there's someone in the car, finally a use for that dumbbell set :D

Alternatively you can leave the key in the car and press the power button and the car will stay on forever. Might want to make sure it's parked in a secure space first since anyone can hop in and drive away :)

Are the air con and heating etc etc easy to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yes

• Advertisement

Yes

Even say for people over 60?

You press a button on the dash, then use the screen to adjust settings. If you can use a phone or tablet you'll be grand. If not, it might be difficult. My Mum, who uses only a desktop, barely, would struggle.

You press a button on the dash, then use the screen to adjust settings. If you can use a phone or tablet you'll be grand. If not, it might be difficult. My Mum, who uses only a desktop, barely, would struggle.

It’s going to be a problem I think with the father

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

pad199207 wrote: »
    It’s going to be a problem I think with the father

If you set it to 18 or 19 degrees and turn on the setting that it starts when you unlock the car there's no messing with it. I haven't touched the clima screen in ages. The air con maintains a steady temperature and if the temperature is low the heated wheel and seats come on. Its very much a car that just works as a car but it's handy to do some set up initially. My brother in law is in his 60s and got an id3. He has a fairly old phone and doesn't really do touch screens or computers but he loves the car. Had looked at an eNiro and i3 but found there were loads of buttons and liked the simplicity of the id3

There's touch buttons beside the centre console to change the air con temperature. Probably the worst thing to use is there radio but you might be able to set up a shortcut to make sure it's easily available. VW id's are good cars for people who aren't tech savvy, generally they're designed to just go and work and customisation is a bit buried in menus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Drove Galway-Dublin and back again yesterday. Had the VW navigation selected as I wanted to see what charging stops it would show, the list view on the nav screen gave enough info that I didn't need to look at any apps on my phone.

120km there and back when possible on ACC. Somewhere around Kinnegad the car thought the speed limit dropped to 80 so had to reset it. I thought it was the slip road signage, but the same thing happened on the same stretch on the way back so must be a bad location setting on the maps.

Needed to stop at Enfield for a toilet break on the way up, thought I would do a quick top up while there.
    Connected CCS, unit beeping and barely providing any power. Disconnected and tried a second time and no difference.
    Called eCars and got the unit reset which took about 2 minutes, but no difference so total fail.
    The support agent advised that the unit on the other side of the motorway had just been used and was available, so if I needed it I could have gone there. Kept going in the end.

Arrived at Dundrum with around 40% SoC , found eCars 22kW and charged (after second attempt at connecting) for 2 hours.

Left Dublin with around 70%. Even though GOM advised I had enough to make it to Galway and my own calculations indicated the same, the car advised me to charge if possible. Pulled into the Galway Plaza for the 150kW unit as needed another toilet stop for the kids anyway. Unit was free but a family of 6 had decided to have a picnic at the charger, foldable chairs out, the lot, even though most of the car park was empty. I pulled in, rolled the window down and said "sorry I need to charge" to absolutely filthy looks and they reluctantly moved in the end. There are even picnic tables on the site that were empty, but had to sit on the charger ??? Maybe they should set the chairs up around a petrol pump next time, the lack of cop on shocked me and I've seen enough nonsense around chargers in my year with EVs.

Arrived with around 17%, pulled 123.5kW for 10 mins so just enough time to go in/out of the plaza and disconnect. More dirty looks from the picnic crowd but was gone before they could say anything and had plenty of % left when I got home.

An eventful day out, but worked out well in the end. Car performed better then expected with the good weather, very comfortable drive and had no issues or complaints from anyone in the car. CarPlay was faultless and had both USBs running in the back seats most of the time. Looking forward to the next trip !

Got me thinking why eCars don't run some ads on TV/radio to educate people about charging points?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

cannco253 wrote: »
    The support agent advised that the unit on the other side of the motorway had just been used and was available, so if I needed it I could have gone there.

Thanks for sharing an excellent report on your experience.

One problem with the agent's suggestion though - getting to the other side of the motorway is not as simple as they might suggest, and totally useless if you needed a charge there and then before continuing to Dublin
    "Other side of the road" would mean you'd have to continue to Enfield, take the exit off the motorway there, then re-enter the motorway heading west, and the only place to get off the motorway after this is Kinnegad.
    Well meaning advice, but totally useless.

Queues waiting for the 2 chargers at the Tesco extra in Monread Naas. Something tells me things are going to have to change rapido in terms of charging stations.

I'm finding it more and more difficult to get a charge at the local eCars 50kw. Got pipped to it by seconds yesterday by a Kona. I can't install a home charger as moving in the next year.

I'm finding it more and more difficult to get a charge at the local eCars 50kw. Got pipped to it by seconds yesterday by a Kona. I can't install a home charger as moving in the next year.

A Kona?

8457-CA96-0349-4-AE8-8-D11-73-C06-DE9-C0-D9.gif

Connected CCS, unit beeping and barely providing any power. Disconnected and tried a second time and no difference.
    Called eCars and got the unit reset which took about 2 minutes, but no difference so total fail.
    The support agent advised that the unit on the other side of the motorway had just been used and was available, so if I needed it I could have gone there. Kept going in the end.
    Interesting. Given Ecars seeming reluctance to mark units/plugs as out of order I wonder would a graph of todays usage per site be useful? A regularly in use unit which has had zero usage today would be a red flag to me.

As yet I only have average usage over the last 4 weeks (to indicate when you might have a best chance of arriving to an available socket).
    http://test.ecars-stats.com/
    Unit was free but a family of 6 had decided to have a picnic at the charger, foldable chairs out, the lot, even though most of the car park was empty.

Got me thinking why eCars don't run some ads on TV/radio to educate people about charging points?

I'd love to see Ecars with a satirical ad depicting these types of stupid acts. Heck you should even report the unit on the ecars app saying it was blocked by a family having a picnic in the charging bay. :D

• Advertisement

That would cost a lot of money and they couldn't care less anyway.

Would be nice if they had adds to show people how to drive on a 3 lane motorway :D

That would cost a lot of money and they couldn't care less anyway.

Would be nice if they had adds to show people how to drive on a 3 lane motorway :D

After being stuck behind a truck in the middle lane of the M50 from Sandyford to Blanch I would fully support an ad campaign explaining how motorways work to people

Just did a weekend trip to Waterford, first proper long trip with the ID.4

Left Swords with 100%, drove M50/M7/M9 down there nonstop doing mostly 110 with the travel assist on. Had some serious tailwind on the way, route planner said I'd use 52% to get there, in the end I only used 40%

Stats below
    img_20210626_192255.jpg?raw=1

Charger in the hotel was broken of course (I'd had the foresight to check, but still disappointing) so I plugged in for an hour at Plunkett train station, I now have a new prize winner for worst placed AC charger :(

Way back today we took the scenic route via New Ross and the M11. Had about 68% when we left, bit of headwind on the way. Stopped at Gorey for lunch but GOM was showing 100km more than what I needed so we pressed on without a charge

Arrived home with about 15%, probably gonna make VW annoyed for discharging the battery so low but it should be fine once in a while

Homeward stats:
    img_20210628_141000.jpg?raw=1

Overall I'm still impressed with the efficiency of the car, considering its not exactly the most aerodynamic shape to begin with.

Travel assist was spot on most of the way, hit a few false speed limit changes along the way, M9 seems worse than any other road I've been on for that so far

Only times I took over was on parts of the N30 and M50, nothing wrong I just wanted to be in control as I felt quick responses might be needed (although the car probably has better reflexes than me)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

those are good figures for the id4

do they all come with the Travel Assist or only the top specs?

drumm23 wrote: »
    those are good figures for the id4

do they all come with the Travel Assist or only the top specs?

I think only the top 2 trims come with travel assist (Tech and Max?). The rest come with lane assist which is basic lane keeping and adaptive cruise control

Tbh, the ACC takes about 75% of the workload off of driving, the Travel assist just adds lane following

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's disappointing to hear about the problems faced when trying to charge up a bit on a long journey. It's the one thing that's making me hesitant.

finbarrk wrote: »
    It's disappointing to hear about the problems faced when trying to charge up a bit on a long journey. It's the one thing that's making me hesitant.

What problems are you referring to? I've had no issues so far beyond badly placed chargers. Tends not to be the car's fault, more than likely the charging networks

How are the updates going? Anyone get them yet? As far as I can see I've gotten nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Unless you're prepared to try to manually install them, it looks like everything is on hold for now.

Navigation database should be 21.5, some people with older versions should have had this update in the background
    Vehicle wallet should be 3.3.0 (settings-software information) and has a section on updates that wasn't there before.

Some talk of a delay for another week, a delay for 2.3.1. Nobody knows at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Just passed a Tipp registered ID4 with a taxi decal on the side on the M50. Fair play to him using it as a taxi.

Advertisement