Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Great to see EV ranges playing out as claimed.

We have a 420km journey back to family once a month which I don’t think the ID4 can safely do. Twice in the last few years there’s been crashes which caused diversions and long delays (in winter with heating pumping).

That’s the scenario which puts me off an ID4. They’re a lovely car to look at though, great cabin and lovely to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

Currently getting 500km from the life version, 19 inch wheels. Traveling up and down to clare. You do need to be mindful of your driving but there is a good mix of motorway and national roads. The heating does not make much difference but the air conditioning takes away about 20km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I get more impressed by the ID4 every time I drive it. So comfortable and smooth to drive. I made a fairly quick decision to buy and am so glad of it now. The 1st was really great value. I can see myself refinancing the baloon payment to hold on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Did anyone else get an update notification today? It's not the 2.3 part 1 update but something smaller that didn't take long too download and install.

It's meant to be something to do with 'background services' but I can't find any more details - digital wallet and some minor fixes before the real update maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The heating wont make much difference when its 15-30°C outside! ;)

Come winter your experience will be very different. Cabin heating takes off way more range than a/c ever does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

Can't find any fault with my I'd 4,but it does appear that when locking and unlocking you need to be very close to the car so it will work. At other times this does not happen, am I doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

yeah mine prompted for an upgrade too today, literally took a minute to install so can’t imagine it’s anything major and haven’t noticed any change.

This is my system info after updating …

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Just back from a 220km drive in the pissings of rain all the way. 50% motorway and speed limit all the way. Pre motorway I was getting 19.9kWh/100km (shows what the rain and wind does). Arrived home with 140km remaining. 360km total. Bang on what I'd have expected (500km wltp, reality for day to day driving is 80% that IMO -400km total, and motorway would be 80% of that again - 320km total. 50% motorway driving would be 160km + 200km = 360km, exactly what I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

my sister ordered early July and 23 days later she picked it up. she only went looking and did some test drives the week before ordering too. Im the family car anorak and I can see the dates we spoke. She was initially told a 3 month lead time but it sounds like she got v lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Saw one out and about in Galway today. White 221 one. It's much nicer looking in real life than any of the pics.

I'd looked it up and the site says from 35k but no matter what build I put through the cheapest I can get it is 44k after the grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

yeah, i saw that alright. Couldn't find any details of it afterwards, but it only took a couple of minutes to download so can't have been up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I noticed that as well. I presume that’s cos the website is pushing ye towards models that have got reasonable order times?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Seems to be. The ID4 city is 35k. But that isn't an option on the site. But some garages are advertising it on done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

VW pdf of the OTA process for first movers that I haven't seen before. No mention of anything relating to the scheduled charging and I haven't read of anyone with 2.3 doing a detailed test of it yet so it might not be in this release which would be disappointing.

Also saw this on one of the German forums

Volkswagen has now issued a statement on the OTA:

Dear First Movers, We have started the rollout of the ID.Software 2.3 - the very first Volkswagen Over-the-Air Update. Based on your comprehensive and constructive feedback we have already learned a lot from those of you who had updates without any problems and those of you who for instance are still awaiting the update. We are happy to share this information so any first mover who will receive the update soon can already benefit from the previous experiences and make use of the tips & tricks we learned along the way.

The update has been up and running for a few days now and worked well on a couple of hundred cars. We are glad to see many happy customers with “thumbs up” for not having to visit a dealer for new software. At the same time, despite never having seen such delays in our test cars before, we are facing unexpected delays in the download process with (too) many of you! The main reason for the delays appears to be an unfortunate coincidence of switching of the 3G network in some markets. This causes download delays from our backend in which case the car stops the download process following pre-installed cyber security rules. Please check our recent “Tips & Tricks” attached here that contain some information on how to avoid problems during the update process and answers many questions that we collected over the past days.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, that we don't give such comprehensive answers to your questions on a daily basis but rather collect & structure the topic for all of you. Thank you for your feedback and input - keep it coming! Among other topics, We have started to take up the following key points for improving the future Over-The Air updates:

Measures to enable downloads despite poor network quality at the start of a trip

Better We Connect ID. app integration

Triggered downloads and timed installation of updates

Better display of the progress for download and installation

Presentation of release notes on multiple channels

Please let us know if we have missed anything. Thank you, enjoy your holidays! Best regards, your Volkswagen ID. team app integration

VW pdf of the OTA process for first movers that I haven't seen before. No mention of anything relating to the scheduled charging and I haven't read of anyone with 2.3 doing a detailed test of it yet so it might not be in this release which would be disappointing.

2.3 doesn’t fix it. It has been confirmed on the first movers group.

VW should be ashamed at this stage. It’s a basic requirement of any EV and it’s nearly 1yr since first deliveries and they decide to spend their development resources on adding country flags to the home button instead! 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

I said something similar 6 months ago when I was waiting on 2.1. That came and went!

You say some open ended date like "November" and VW will lap it up. Which November!? I've less and less hope they'll fix scheduled charging any time soon. I've certainly heard nothing to give me confidence it's resolved, and surely by now enough have got the update that the results would have leaked by now. Woke at 2am last night and started charging. 🙄

Would be enough to turn one off getting their ID4 knowing that there’s going to be these big issues on arrival from the off…

It's the only big issue I've really had. It is a big one though. It's costing me money if I charge during the day, or costing me money to upgrade my charger to be a smart one.

Other than that I'm very happy with the car. As a 1st owner I expected some faults, but if I were paying the big bucks for the series models I'd be pretty pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is it really costing that much ?

say you plug in at 8pm.

thats a 4 hour difference, what’s the difference between 28kWh of day vs night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Potentially double the price to charge for those hours depending on the rate you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

But really is it that much ? 2 euro instead of 1?

hardly enough to put you off the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya it wouldn't be enough to put me off the car but if you are going to build a car that potentially costs over 60k, timed charging should be a basic feature that works.

No, not costing me much, but still costing me for no good reason. I pay 18c+ for day rate, 5c for night rate. I wanna use as much night rate as I can. The cost is small alright, but needless.

That 28kWh on the day rate is about €2 extra every time I charge. I'll probably use 3000kWh annually, probably putting 50kWh into the car every time I charge (60 charges a year), so €120 extra a year. Very very very rough guesstimations there, but you get the idea. Anyone who drives big distances daily would rely on scheduled charging more and more, and incur higher costs without it. Alternatively they could get a smart charger, but thats €100s to circumvent a problem the car should never have been sold with.

Probably wouldn't put me off the car knowing what I know now, but if I were a little less educated i'd probably be concerned that lots of other basic features wouldn't work either. That would worry me, and potentially steer me away from the car.

If 2.3 doesn't fix it, i'll probably hack my rolec charger with a shelly or something similar like was posted here previously.

I was told that Volkswagen have stopped all production on entry level models. Wether or not that has anything to do with this I don’t know…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

This notification appears every time I get into my car since about 6 weeks ago, I dismiss it and it just reappears next time it restarts … I’ve no need to buy data?! any thoughts on what it’s about and how to get rid permanently? Thanks.

its normal. No way to permanently get rid of it, I don’t think anyway. It allows you to use the cars data connection on your own devices by connecting to the car WiFi signal

I must mess around with disabling wifi etc, it might stop it.

you can signup for more data via cubictelecom and that will get rid of it but it’s ridiculously priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Do you need to connect your phone to the car WiFi to use wireless Android Auto and if so does this use any of the cars data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

No, as far as I know Android Auto uses bluetooth. I haven't connected my phone to car wifi and Auto still works

Advertisement