Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

You'll get approx 7kWh from your charger on single phase. So, in 8 hours you will get 56kWh; in 9 hours you'll get 63 kWh. Your recommended SoC area is from 20% to 80%. That's approx 46kWh and that's what you should be aiming for on a regular basis.

Subject to correction by those older and wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So whatever the range at 100% of the 77kwh battery is, I should aim to use 80% of this only to look after the battery, correct?

same would apply with not allowing battery to drop below 20% of full charge yes?

what would the low value range (20%) and high value range (80%) be in kms?

So the esb night rate lasts 9 hours.

in a 77kwh with 9 hours of charging using a 7kw home charger, I’ll get 63kwh of charge.

so 63/77=.818 x100/1= 81% charge, plus add on whatever the battery was at before charging started yes?

I basically regularly charge to 80%, using the charge limit set via the We Connect app or the infotainment system in the car.

If I'm going on a long journey, I'll change the limit to 100% the night before the trip and set my Zappi to start charging so that the 100% limit is reached an hour before I expect to travel. Beyond that I don't complicate stuff at all. The less maths I get into the less freaked she who must be obeyed gets. "Why do you need to do all that. I don't need to do it in my car" etc.

But yes, 80%-20% i.e. 60% of 77kWh is 42kWh. That will take approx 6 hours on a home charger giving you 7 kWh. Allowing for loss of energy in charging, I'd allow for an extra hour for good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Agghhhhhh, you're all giving me a headache!!!

Chargers supply kilowatts (kW), batteries store kilowatt-hours (kWh)

To find out how long it'll take to charge, divide the kWh you need to put into the battery by the kW from the charger and that'll give you roughly the number of hours

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

The gospel according to Zappi. Apologies for any lapses in termination. It would be handy if someone knowledgeable were to put up a sticky with the correct terminology and calculation method tabled. It might save some sore heads.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Android. I noticed that too, but yesterday when I opened the app or was prompting me to login etc. App version 2.0.2 (in the profile screen at the bottom)

Haha, you're grand but there was some unit confusion going on, mixing kW and kWh 😁

No bother. Just trying to figure out if an ID4 will work for me on the 20-80% range as my longest work trip is 170km one way, (no destination charging) which at the minute I’d do three times a week.

I need to see if that’ll work in deepest darkest winter also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Well the ID cars only charge with power in kWh/h, they might snub their nose at being given plain old kWs

@tom1ie charging to 100% should be fine once you drive it shortly after. Leaving the car lay idle at high or low SoC is bad for the battery from what I've read around here. Presume you're not doing the 340km every day by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd reiterate what BusmanPaddy said just above.

You are over thinking the 20-80% thing. The recommendation to only charge to 80% is so that the car isnt sitting idle at 100% for long periods of time.

When you are doing your 340km round trip a few times a week then it is perfectly fine to charge it to 100% those mornings and have the charge session end around the time you are leaving that morning. That is perfectly OK to do and wont break warranty or kill the battery. Charge it and use it!

Same deal with going below 20%. Just dont leave it <10% and go on a 2 week holiday.

When VW get the finger out and fix the in-car charging timers it will take care of all this for you. e.g. It has two settings for each charge session... one to get the car up quickly from a low SoC(that would use day rate electricity) and another to set what you want to charge to by the morning(using night rate). You can set different values/times for each day of the week so if you have a regular work pattern you can get it all programmed in and it will just do its thing.... thats when they fix it, as its currently not working properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Real Rangebetween 295 - 600 km

City - Cold Weather 405 km

Highway - Cold Weather 295 km

Combined - Cold Weather 350 km

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Just in case this is useful information; my wife's April-ordered ID.4 Style (smaller 52kWh battery and 149 PS motor) was delivered to her on Friday last. The GOM states about 295km range on an 80% charge, and today is a sunny day (about 16c outside). It's plenty of range for her, compared to her e-Golf which typically had a GOM 210km range on a day like today at 100% charge. She's delighted with it, and I find the cabin a tad more nice than my ID.3, with nicer material on the seats. Everything else is very similar though, and was delivered with 2.1.

No but probably 3/4 times a week. Probably 80% motorway 20% rural roads.

Is that the 77kwh model?

that 295 kms in cold weather would feck up my plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

I'm running Android 11 and no update for the app. I'm still on version 1.18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Yep 77. The upcountry Ariya is 87 and estimated range is:

City - Cold Weather *450 km

Highway - Cold Weather *315 km

Combined - Cold Weather *375 km

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Samsung S10+ here with Android 11. We Connect ID app is at version 2.02

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

S20 here and I'm at 1.18, with no option to upgrade. Also, why the hell is the app size 131MB. There's barely anything in it

• Advertisement

I think that data comes from EV database which defines cold weather as -10C and highway speed as 130km/h

Irish weather generally doesn't stay that cold all day, and backing off the speed to 110km/h in winter can lower consumption a good bit.

There was a bug last year which meant the ID cars wouldn't preheat from the charger, I think that's been fixed to some extent but it'll still pull from the battery of the charger can't give enough power. Battery plus cabin heating maxes out at something like 9kW

Best thing to do on winters mornings is to set the car to preheat a bit before departure to a high temperature. And by high I mean sauna heat levels. Basically you want to warm the seats, the dashboard and everything else in the cabin as much as possible

Even if the car is blowing 23C air everywhere, it'll take some time for everything in the cabin to warm up which will make the car feel colder and rob energy from the battery at the start of your journey

The idea is to overcompensate when the car is plugged in so it's nice and toasty inside when you leave and the car just needs a small bit of heating to maintain the temperature

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sounds about right to me tbh.

So far my motorway driving (120kph actual) has given me consumption of ~24kWh/100km. Throw in some cold and/or wet weather and 295km sounds about right. I'd imagine combined cold could be a bit better than 350km though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

I see a black ceramic dash is now an option for the ID 4. Can’t understand why all these options weren’t available earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Same for me, update ready today. I updated it and the car has changed to the correct colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

My father finally got some good news and the car is now at the dealers. He ordered at the end of April for anyone that ordered around the same time.

He got a style but it has a few extras on board.

Got the app update as well, nice to finally see a blue car in the app

On another topic, has anyone noticed that We Charge is a bit optimistic regarding 3rd party chargers? It has a lot of chargers down twice, so there shows as double the number of sockets per site

I'm surprised ESB hasn't caught onto that trick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Had the car fully charged up for a trip last weekend. I hadn't noticed before, but if you are 100% charged the green/blue bars on the dash that show regen/consumption are dimmed and reduced in size - I presume this is because the car can't take advantage of any additional regen as the battery has no spare capacity.

I read somewhere that if you are 100% charged you can run into problems if you're driving in the mountains, in particular going downwards as the car starts giving out warnings and can force you to stop. Has anyone experienced this, I haven't heard anyone on Boards talking about this for any EV, at least not recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Happens my phev alright. Engine braking doesn't kick in if it is at full charge. Can be a bit weird but doesn't tend to last for long.

Unless you charge at the top of a mountain it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,079 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can barely get a charger in the City Centres so I think we're a bit away from chargers on mountains yet!!

Advertisement