Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

For the last 2 days, I am getting unable to connect message on my id4.

So no app connectivity or traffic or anything.

Tried rebooting the infotainment, and the car (button on the steering column).

Any other suggestions how to resolve this without going to the dealer?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Fuse 30 is the infotainment if you wanted to pull that and leave it a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ah welcome to the club, I get that every so often.

Unfortunately dealership hasn't been able to fix it yet, they've asked me to bring it in the next time and they'll try to get VW support to take a look

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Just wondering what peoples experience are with how the cold weather is affecting their battery ?

Have had the ID.4 since April (1st edition 77kw battery) , and been averaging 5km per 1% battery use, there or there abouts. Most of my driving is short haul, as I'm still working from home, but have done a number of trips on M1 (90km round trips) and again, been very happy with overall consumption on the battery both for short and longer haul runs.

Last Sunday I charged the car at home to 90%, thought I had set it to 80, but hey-ho. Anyway since then I have driven just over 105KM and my SOC is at 51% I have only used the aircon to heat the cabin a couple of times, and didn't leave it on for any major length of time that would have a drastic effect on the battery, as my journeys have been approx 10-20km in distance since I changed.

So 39% battery usage for 105km is averaging 2.69km per 1%, so allowing for some air-con use lets say 2.5km per 1%, effectively halving my range compared to the milder weather. I expected a loss due to the colder weather, but circa 50% reduction is a hell of a hit.

What have others experienced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I am finding my range is dropping like a stone in the last few days. I'm pretty sure it's because I have the preheating set to switch on every day at 8.30 to 20C plus heated seats etc, even when the car isn't going to be used for hours

If the car was plugged in then it would be fine but I'm losing a chunk of battery every day to that. Also I've the Zappi set to stop charging at 8am so it won't make much difference even if it was plugged in

That's by choice though, I like the car to be defrosted and warmed up in the mornings as I feel leaving it frozen is bad for the interior and it'll get damp and mouldy. If I was driving every day I'd probably be smarter about it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Thanks for responding. Yea I did use the pre-heat option one of the nights before heading out, car wasn't plugged in, and I think it took about 3-4% of battery. Interesting item on pre-heating the car, but this is predicated on you leaving not long after you have charged. f you are charging but not going to drive for a while afterwards, then looks like you have a much greater loss of range.

https://batterynewsnetwork.com/transportation/evs/how-to-stop-cold-weather-decimating-the-range-of-your-electric-vehicle/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

shocking consumption this evening on short trip (8km), heat at 21゜and heated seats on, 43.3kWh average 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

That’s crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's the car heating the battery and something most of us ID3 First users highlighted last year.

Lots of short journeys will hit the range massively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Hot (or cold) air absolutely murders the expected range. I stick with heated seats and wheel when nobody else in car.

I can't wait to be able to charge from home with a proper charger. The granny cable is fine, but doesn't fully charge in one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not sure because it's VW being very cautious with the battery I think. They're basically making the car heat the battery to a certain temperature everytime you get into it. So on cold days that takes more energy and reduces range.

There was talk of them adjusting this so the range hot isn't so severe.

I've seen that myself too. Creche run, so the blower is on to warm the cabin for the kids, short 3km drive, and then me sitting in the car idling while my wife drops them in. Crazy consumption though. The short drives with cold mornings and departure time preheating really eat into range.

I’m changing the ID4 for an EV6 in January, It’ll be interesting to see how they compare in this area.

Had a decent bit of driving today, and a bit caught for range so I added 20km at the local fast charger. Arrived home with 4% battery. Putting my foot down on the dual carriageway was interesting at 6%. So little power down at that end of the battery.

If it's a 1st you could get a nice return on your "investment". Ev second hand market is a bit silly, and there's no id4 77kWh for anything near what the 1st cost originally.

Yeah, I got pretty much what I paid for it back in March so was happy with that.

Christ all this talk of range jitters giving me awful anxiety before I receive mine

People getting 450+ must drive with consumption in mind I think. I don’t give it much thought really and drive how I always did. I find somewhere 300-350 is what I expect these days and 390-450 is the summer, motorway kms making the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Winter range effects every EV no matter what the manufacturers say. Just plug it in when at home and keep it topped up (daytime or night time) and don't worry about it. Once you get used to driving an EV you learn to adapt to it, cold temperatures are just another factor to keep in mind. Bigger battery helps and if you're driving longer distances the consumption should even out. We've 2 EVs, I always try to keep one of them at around 80% at any given time.

When VW releases 3.0 (expected Spring 2022, but who knows) the high consumption due to battery heating is supposed to be reduced/sorted. Also, if you haven't received your car yet, and if it comes with 2.3 already installed it should have the updated version of the BMS already on it which is supposed to help - and you also won't need to go to the dealer for the 12v update and manual flashing of the ECUs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Drove the 52kwh Style for the last week.

Charged the car to 100% 3 times. Had the car pre-heating every morning and also had it set to be heated up in the evening after work. I used the heating, heated seats, heated steering wheel etc and drove as I normally would. Was a mix of country roads so about 15 mins of driving at 80kmph and then about 5 minutes of driving around the city in the morning and about the same in the evening.

First day was -2.5° out and range was coming up at 210km.

Second full charge weather was about 2° and range was 238km.

Third charge was today. Weather was up on 7° when I went for a drive and range was 246km.

Hoping to order a 77Kwh so range will not be an issue at all for myself. Have a leaf30 also so going from having 140/150km max range in the winter to having up to 246km was great.

Was a fantastic car to drive and I didn't feel the lower HP made the car drive poorly at all. Plenty of power there and so relaxing to drive. The Matrix lights are top class.

Few negatives would be the touchscreen sometimes was a bit laggy and I found it a bit distracting at times to have to go to it for heating etc.. and the keyless entry wasn't as smooth as my leaf. Sometimes not picking me up or me having to move really close to the door for it to be picked up. Having to tap the lock on the handle 4 or 5 times before it locked the car. The car might require a software update though which could solve these issues.

If the 52 comes back on the market it will be a great buy for someone that needs between 200 and 300 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Dont worry about it. Its not that big a deal.

If you do lots of short journeys you will see high consumption as you are using a disproportionate amount of energy to heat the cabin... but so what? The fact that its lots of short jounreys means you are at home and start with a full battery everyday so it doesnt really matter that your efficiency is down.

Its the very same for ICE cars. You wont be getting 50mpg+ in a diesel on an 8km trip either and worse still you will be frozen while you are doing it in an ICE car as the engine wont be up to temp in that timeframe. At least the reduced efficiency in the EV is because it is giving you heat the second you start your journey. If you want to get that efficiency back turn off the heating and just imagine you are in an diesel! ;)

In terms of long journeys, you wont see as big a range hit in winter as long as you preheat the car while plugged in and have the charge session end just before you start your journey. That way you have a warm cabin and a warm battery and it will be absolutely fine in terms of range then.

Basically, its wrong to do a short journey and then extrapolate the results to a long journey. It doesnt work like that.

I wouldn’t be charging it every night though 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You dont have to. Charge it as needed is the point. You're not stuck due to lack of range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have just done my first 45km of my regular 90km rural trip. First time since the cold weather started (Have been away).

Pre heated car while plugged in before leaving, then noticed poorish efficiency for first 15km or so. Improved dramatically after that, finishing at 15.8kWh/100km. So not drastically more than the milder weather, perhaps 2 or 3kWh/100 more. Probably a small bit of battery heating and the rest cabin heating.. (This trip mainly at 80kph or less, about 10 km at 100kph.)

Edit, mine is an ID.3..

Post edited by eagerv on

Anyone know when the next ship is due into Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭hold my beer

As per kcross, dont worry about it. I charge ours when I need to, usually about every 6 or 7 days, when it drops below 100km. Other times when I've done longer journies, I charge it straight after. It's so so simple. I will never buy another non BEV car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the 52kw model coming back?

I've never seen 15.8 Kwh/100 km in my id3 probably because I like some heat lol.

• Advertisement

Don't worry about it, if getting the 77 Kwh you'll have more than enough range for all your daily needs and on long trips consumption will drop once the battery heater shuts off after 10 mins or so.

My id3 long term average is 18.5 Kwh/100 Km after about 4500 Kms driven so far but any given trip is usually 19-22 Kwh/100 Km and I don't drive slow and I have the heat around 21-23 Deg. Short trips 7 to school and 7 back can see 30 Kwh/100 kms.

+ on longer trips the car should charge fast enough, always charge after/during long trip when the battery is the warmest and not after sitting the night before.

My Old Leaf would have struggled to get 90 Kms at 120 Km/hr lol and take 40-50 mins to get from 20% to 85% if the battery was cold and that was for just around 18 Kwh worth of electricity lol. That was real range anxiety, you'll never know range anxiety lol

Advertisement