Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I’ve just tried to order the standard ID charger. The order showed as a failed payment but there is a pending transaction to Elli on my Mastercard. Bloody annoying as I am going to need it urgently as it looks like my car is in the country or on the next boat from Emden! I was told on the phone delivery on the charger is approx 2-3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Basic charger will be fine, app for the car is “WeConnect ID.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

This was posted by VW on their Facebook page back in November (think it's called ID Family now, was First Movers Club). I guess you can read it whatever way you want, but most cars will need the visit. I wonder how many 2.3 factory delivered cars made it to Ireland in 2021? 2.3 factory delivered cars have version 0920 of the BMS instead of 0850.

Dear ID. Drivers,

In the past few weeks, we have received many similar questions on essential topics. In the following, we have summarized the most important information according to the current status and hope that it will answer most of your questions. Further questions on these or other topics are welcome, and we will continue to make every effort to provide you with answers as quickly as possible. We ask for your understanding that we will not be able to provide more precise information on specific dates until later.

Enhancements to the We Connect ID. App

We are continuously working on improving and enhancing the app. Some new functions have already been added, most recently, for example, the preconditioning timer and the possibility of activating charging stations via the app. From the beginning of next year (2022), the app will receive additional functions that are also strongly based on your feedback (e.g. Car Finder).

Updatability of already produced vehicles from the ID. Family

Of course, we are also constantly optimizing the hardware of the ID.s - but in less finely timed steps than the software (usually with new model years or major product upgrades). It is our goal to design software updates during the year in such a way that existing ID. vehicles benefit from software improvements for as long as possible. This is possible because not all updates dig deep into the operating system or depend on new hardware.

Increasing the charging capacity via Over-the-Air (OTA) update

At the moment, the control units (ECU = electronic control unit) responsible for this are not yet updateable over-the-air. However, we are currently preparing a service campaign to which your Volkswagen partner will invite you and from which you will benefit in several ways:

• You will receive a new, technologically updated 12 V battery - the actual reason for the service campaign.
    • At the same time, further ECUs will be made OTA updateable.
    • Improvements in winter performance and improvements in the experience of future OTA updates.

Please note that the prerequisite for the installation of these is ID.Software2.3.

Retrofittability of hardware (for subsequent activation of additional functions)

There are very strong technical dependencies between the vehicle components. Therefore, a partial hardware exchange does not usually lead to a securely functioning system. Of course, we will look at the possibility of subsequent hardware installation individually for each hardware update.

Errors in the use of the function - "Preferred charging times"

Various measures are currently being prepared for this and will be part of one of the upcoming update campaigns.

Range optimization at low outside temperatures

With the upcoming ID. Software update, we are introducing improvements through optimized thermal management. This reduces consumption and thus increases the range by adjusting the activation threshold of the battery heating, especially in short-haul operation. At the same time, the charging performance in winter is improved by adjusting the heating threshold for DC charging.

In a further step, the preconditioning of the high-voltage battery during AC charging is also improved. The maximum charging power will also be increased. The optimization of the heating curves for the interior in the new climate software also contributes to increasing efficiency on short journeys in winter.

As you can see, many of the improvements are based on your feedback and ideas!

Thank you very much and best regards,

Your Volkswagen ID. Team

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Have joined the ID Family today! Brilliant car in the flesh!

Quick question though the WiFi on the car doesn’t seem to connect to our router. It says a network security issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

• Advertisement

Will get some tomorrow. Spotted 2:3.0 on the software version if that’s any use to anybody here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Prince10r

Went to open my VW ID4 this morning , was completely dead (lock won't open) , did manage to open it use the pulling the handle up hard method. But when I plugged in the charging cable into my Zappi charging didn't initialize. Checked and the 12v battery is reading 2.6v.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

so Day 2 a few questions.

Why are the rear doors staying locked even when you unlock the car with the fob? You seem to have to open a front passenger door to allow the rear doors to open?

Plus. Please tell me you don’t have to fix your side mirrors every time you get into the car? I fixed them yesterday and now this morning after getting in they were back to where they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Prince10r

@Black_Knight Sorry was hoping there was a way to get it starting without having to jump the battery in case I missed anything. And also why would the 12v battery drain to nothing when the car was not in use and didn't have any lights etc., etc. on. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a fault in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have an ID.3 but presume similar menus. Go into settings menu(The one with the pic of car externally/internally) and check the locking and mirrors settings.

Convenience opening on the doors is what you're after. Vehicle menu, interior, find the doors option and it's in there.

The mirrors is new to me. I've never seen or had that issue.

Could be a fault. Is the car new?

If it's not new, i'd imagine something was left on to drain the battery, though ~2V is desperately low. Not a 12v battery expert, but I wonder has that battery had it. Worth talking to VW about it. @unkel usually has pretty decent 12V battery knowledge.

Yep brand new Black Knight. Got into the car this morning and mirrors were facing down again.

If a 12V lead acid battery is reading 2v across the terminals then it's finished, chances are if it recovers at all on a charger it will be very short lives as usually irreparable damage will have occurred at this low voltage. I'd be very interested to know what caused this.

This is why I prefer lithium because it will have a BMS and will shut off when the voltage gets low enough.

You'd think that in this day and age they car could inform you of irregularities in the 12 charging system or if it detects irregular/excessive current consumption........

Should this be downloaded. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nope that'll make your car explode.

Really though that's a We Charge App for the vehicle which will find local charging stations.

Also would anyone know what’s the best car charge card for someone who would only be public charging maybe once a month or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Thanks for the reply Joe. That's what I'm thinking. If charging can be monitored through the car app then I presume upgrading to the Connect charger is pointless. Are there any benefits you know of to the ID charger Connect? For example, can you stop or schedule charging on the ID Charger Connect App but not on the cars We Connect App? I just want to be sure I'm buying the right charger before going ahead with a purchase. Appreciate your help with this.

But it says it will run in the background. So the car is still drivable while downloading?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The VW charge point app and the car app are one and the same so there is a very small benefit there that it’s all in one app.

however, the main advantage to having the connect version is that it allows you to update the firmware on the charge point in the years ahead. The VW charge point right now is rather basic in terms of features but they have said they will be improving it with schedules, Solar integration etc etc.

if you have no interest in any features and just want it to act as a dumb charge point forever then the basic one will suffice.

For me, I think the connected one is worth it as it’s a long term piece of kit you are buying and having it updated/improved/bug-fixes etc is important. You will have long sold on the car and you will still be using the charge point in 10+ years time.

• Advertisement

Some good points there and I'm happy to hear the WeConnect App serves the same purpose. I'm wondering if the additional €300 is worth it when the charge point does everything I need for this purchase. We are due to change our second car in a years time and a dual charger might be in our near future but I'm not sure just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It'll download when you're driving and will install when you get out and lock the car.

hmmm, didn’t realise it was nearly €300 in the difference. That’s a lot alright. Tough to justify, if you don’t actually want/need it. I don’t think you can add it later so it’s an all or nothing choice now.

Depends what you mean by best. EasyGo app will start charge on ESB, easygo and ionity locations, but at a small additional premium. EasyGo also don't auto top up your account so if you run out of credit mid charge you're cut off.

ESB handles Auto top up, but it's only for the ESB network (by far the largest network in Ireland).

IMO, get the ESB card and the easygo app. That'll do you pretty much country wide.

For the ID4 currently, scheduling charging via the charge point is a must if you're getting a night rate. And you should get a night rate is you like saving money. Scheduled charging via the car does not work. It's a known fault VW have not addressed in over a year but have admitted it needs fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

The night rate with Energia is very good but the day rate is high. I couldn’t transfer enough of my day usage to night with the exception of the car so changing to day/night couldn’t be justified. It suited me to stay on the standard meter with the cheapest current deal being Electric Ireland at 15.63/unit ex VAT

The problem is that the VW charge point doesn’t have scheduled charging yet. Software update required first so it’s a tough choice when scheduled charging is broken in the car also.

If @n.d.os isn’t willing to spend the extra €270 on the “connect” version of the charge point he might be better off looking at another charge point like the EO or hypervolt etc

Thanks for the advice everyone regarding the pros and cons of both charger options. I went ahead and ordered the standard charger today although I admit scheduled charging would be handy. A few people have suggested sticking with our Electric Ireland standard rate, similar to what @BlazingSaddler suggested above. Since Covid, the house is like a substation all day, every day. €270 isn't much but I want the whole thing bought and installed on a budget as a dual charger upgrade might be needed in a few years' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

When you’re getting it installed, I’d suggest getting the Electrican to fit a heavier cable from the fuse board. That way you’re covered if you intend adding a second charge point in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 n.os90

Yes, I do believe he mentioned that. I’ll mention it to him again though.

Advertisement