Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

When I check my car on the VW website I see that the battery is listed as "Battery 280 A (51 Ah)"

Reading up on the new 12v battery it seems that the new EFB has been installed since the end of December 21. Has anyone here received a car with the new battery yet? I presume all cars with the 51Ah battery will need to have it replaced in 2022, even cars delivered with 2.3 ?

New 12V battery - 49Ah instead of 51Ah + EFB

• Registered Users Posts: 9 RDRourke

Hoping to take delivery of an ID4 the 2/3rd week of February. Anyone else in the same boat? Seems there are delays getting them into dealerships.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tippbiffo

Getting fed up with the delays. Was told my id4 build week 48/49 went ahead last month. End of January for delivery date. I know it’s a strange world now but I’d like more clarity from the dealership…..and I know it’s not their fault either. Anyone else waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 tippbiffo

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Think I've a fault in my car. Passenger side door isn't opening from time to time. Seems like the latch isn't unlatching. Mostly happens when I'm in the drivers seat with the ignition on and my wife tries to open the door. Trying to get booked in for a diagnostic but possibly a month before they can fit me in! Fingers crossed they can get me in sooner.

I'm not the first. Read from a few other forums the same issue. Replacement latch was the fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Ordered middle of October and told that it was a build week 50 with a Jan delivery. Obviously that never happened and now they can't even give me a provisional build date. Last discussion with the dealer he said that due to Covid, production is down to 20% of normal and they're waiting for build dates to be updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I ordered mine end of October and was told to expect Build Week 14 with delivery 3 weeks later for mine. This was said to me before Christmas BTW and I ordered the Family model.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Questioned it at the time with the dealer as I knew there was delays, he even showed me the build week. He said it could be down to the particular spec being ordered as he had only placed an order the previous day for a Max and it was showing week 12. Either way i was sceptical, now even more so. Currently waiting on a Business model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Mine is doing similar. I was thinking it was because the doors are locked, and the first pull of the door is only opening the lock. I was wondering is there a setting in there to change

Not sure I believe/agree with some of this, but worth browsing/listening to if you've the time

You’ve talked a lot about software. One of the highest margin things you can do once you develop the software is sell it or license it to someone else. This is maybe the foundational conflict in the traditional computer industry: Microsoft is very successful as a software licensing business. Apple is very successful, but they will never license anything to anyone — Apple wants to sell an integrated product. Android is very successful as a licensing business. Where do you land? Once you’ve built all this capability, will you license the software to other companies?

It’s very difficult to predict. Right now we are very open. We are sharing the platform with Ford because we think that the economies of scale we can generate are beneficial for both companies. Ford in Europe is using our MEB platform, and that applies for hardware and software. We predict that there won’t be too many really self-sufficient software stacks in the world because they will be really expensive to maintain and update worldwide. We are currently considering sharing, and would be open to partnering, as long as that doesn’t slow us down. We are prepared. If you compare us to Apple or Google, currently we are running like Google. We are open to third parties to use our technology.

How do you think about the pace of investment in building the charging network there? You’ve described perhaps premium charging experiences. You’ve described partnering with power companies — maybe changing how you meter or pay for that. However, you still need lots of chargers and lots of places to make all this work. I’m looking at the numbers here. You expect to have 1,800 fast charging stations and 10,000 chargers in America by the end of 2025. There are already 10,000 Tesla Superchargers. Is that fast enough?

In some countries, we are already ahead of Tesla. That’s fast enough because it has to match the growth of the fleet. But you’re absolutely right: we can’t do all the investment out of our cash flows. We are partnering and we are also looking at some areas, for instance, batteries. Batteries are a much bigger concern for me because the investment there is still bigger than in charging. We will even consider IPOs, or allowing certain parties to participate in the growth, because there will be a lot of growth in the area of EV charging and batteries, and I’m sure that we will find investors to participate, but we can’t finance all of the necessary investment out of our cash flows.

(Battery Suppliers).. Is there a reason that the industry has not created suppliers to meet that demand, and all the companies are kind of doing it themselves right now?

A good question. I have to tell you a story there, because I used to work for another company in 2012 or 2013, when I first visited a small company in China, which was called CATL. CATL would then have a turnover of, I think, 200 to 300 million. They would do pouch cells for smartphones for a big American customer. I visited them and said, “I need battery cells for cars — first for plug-in hybrids, and then for electric cars.” The guys looked at me and said, “We can’t do cars. It’s too big. We don’t have the facilities.” They were really not prepared, but I could convince them. Robin Zeng is the CEO and founder. Once in a while, I follow up with him. He made an exceptional transition. He’s now the second biggest battery manufacturer. Market capitalization is about $200 billion, something like that. Extremely fast growth and innovation at CATL.

I tried the same with the German first-tier suppliers. They would have been well-prepared. Bosch, Conti, you name them, I tried the same approach. I knew that we would need a huge amount of battery cells. The turnover of our battery cell business perspective to 2030 — when we would build 50 percent EVs — we’ll have a turnover only for the internal demand of 20 billion, which is half the size of Bosch. It’s a huge business, but I have to say, I could not convince any of our first-tiers besides CATL to invest in batteries, which I regret. Now we have to do it ourselves. We have invested in Northvolt, which is a European startup. We are working with the entire industry — LG, Samsung, CATL — because we need the quantity of batteries and the quality of batteries.

The convenience opening setting is the first place to look, but for us that's set to open all doors. It's obviously working since the rear doors open without issue, while the passenger side front is "stuck". Must get a video of my wife trying to open it. I tried to reproduce it and it worked first time. Las thing I want is to waste a day sending the car into VW and for them to dismiss the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Consider yourself lucky I ordered in July and it missed the build in week 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I ordered my ID4 in June 2021 and I am still waiting to receive my car. Another guy on here is waiting since July. I was told my car is finished but no confirmation if the car is on a ship or in the country. I see a few people have said they ordered their car in September/October. Being completely honest guys, i’d say it will be the summer before those cars arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jonerp

Is it the automatic lock that has engaged? I sometimes have to unlock from door panel to let passenger in.

Unlocking from there does nothing. All other doors are open. Door started opening randomly now

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

i would be pissed with this and asked for the deposit back as you'll be getting the 2021 trim in 2022...

we are getting 2021 prices. And with the 2022 upgrades. For the prices differences I’m willing to wait

what difference is in the 2022 trim, that would make you cancel ?

And opened twice on our drive home... while driving (at slow speeds)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I waited 5 months for a car a few years ago, well before chip shortages or supply chain issues. it’s not unusual with the likes of bmw etc, where a lot of the cars are built to order, but it’s unusual to happen with the mass producers like vw, Kia, Hyundai etc. they would traditionally have plenty stock in-country.

I wouldn’t be cancelling anyway, that’s for sure.

Literally the whole world is in the same boat at the moment.

id be more annoyed to miss out on features due to the chip shortage - “you can have your car sooner if you drop the blind spot monitor and active cruise” etc etc

There doesn't appear to be any changes to the business model from the time I ordered. I was sure it had an automatic tailgate when I ordered but that is not on the 2022 spec. I could be wrong however. I believe my car was built in November so probably a 2022 spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

I read somewhere last year that the ID range were getting a refresh 2022 but i may have picked that up wrong. someone else made a good point about price as well so maybe a year wait will be worth it... crazy delay even with covid & chip shortage though..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

8 months waiting for our ID 4. Have it now though

There is a battery upgrade , ECU upgrade, v3?of software etc. that all cars made from week 50 last year are getting.

There will be the usual bits and bobs that will change but I don't expect a facelift or anything of the sort until 2023. As it is VW are taking things out of cars instead of adding new things in so the sooner the better in my eyes. I expected a 6 month wait so we'll see. Lots of reasons why cars are taking so long at the moment, mostly down to covid but also these cars are in high demand. More so than they probably first predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Do you have any link where we can learn more, particular on the battery upgrade?

By battery I mean the 12v, I should of being clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 14 silkcut007

Are you happy with it? I am a sales rep and our company wants to apppear green. It's the Life 77kW battery, so pretty basic spec. Not surr how I feel about it. Lease company ordered last September with ETA of early April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 silkcut007

Hi, I am getting the Life, the spec looks fairly basic or do you find it has everything you need?

Advertisement